Missing Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Ball

The most peculiar thing happened yesterday. I opened the steering gear box and found only 23 balls inside. 12 in the top bearing and 11 in the lower one. I checked all the oil but could not find it. Did it dissolve, did somebody, 62 years ago, forget it, did he drop it? It will remain a mystery for ever. Now it is not too easy to find a 5/16″ ball in Europe so it took me a few hours and quite a few kilometers.
    Last edited by KJongenburger; 10-20-2011, 12:08 PM. Reason: Reduced size of pic
    The Blog: http://dutchstuderesto.wordpress.com

That sure is pretty!

Comment

Try an automatic transmission rebuild shop. All auto trans have check balls for everything. I needed a few different sizes a while back and my local trans had boxes of all sizes and gave me all of sizes I needed for free. I insisted he let me pay him, he said "nahh just remember me when you need a trans done"...cool

Comment

The last one I opened had one missing top and bottom ? Who knows ?

Comment

I once had an airplane mechanic tell me that "Everything is going to ball bearings".

For those of you thinking I'm nuts, it's an 80s pop-culture reference....
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Small world, just today I opened that same truck gear box and found one ball missing on the top group and the lower set was all in the oil, have not cleaned it enough to try and count them yet, I needed to take it apart so I could get the shaft in my press for the nice steering wheel I will be putting on e-bay in about an hour, in fact I have 3 truck steering wheels going up for auction
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Gee, it's a worry if you lose your balls. :-)~ Hope you can find the missing item.
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
              X