No announcement yet.

The Lamberti papers #24 (June 17, 1963)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lamberti papers #24 (June 17, 1963)

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

4. Instrument lights. "We will install instrument lights in the entire '64 line".
    Only two weeks ago I finally installed a NOS clock in my '64 Hawk & noticed it had the red bulb fitted. I figured it was a late series clock from post June 1963. I did fit a white bulb as they are easier to see at night.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

This military report from this demo that was referenced can be seen in Chris D.'s thread about the "RAVE"..............pretty neat coincidence that both of these threads were posted within days of each other!! There is still significant Studebaker history to be uncovered!
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I've enjoyed reading these reports ( thank you Mr. Quinn) and hoped to find a hint about some Avanti lore that's been with me for many years. It's been so long, I can't remember if I read it or was told by someone, but the change to square headlights on the '64" models..... I was under the impression that the design change was due to the problem of high underhood temperatures and the square bezels were supposed to be grilles with a pass through for more air to reach the radiator. The grilles and ducting were later put aside because of the high cost and complexity of incorporating the change. The bezels had to be created to fill in the square frontal body opening that had already been established in the production of the nose panels. Any comments on this?
        thx
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Under the Public Relations heading, there's a reference to the GT Hawk's changed roofline for '64. Is this a reference to the new half vinyl top or something else?
          Scott Rodgers
          Los Angeles
          SDC Member since 1989
          \'60 Lark HT
          \'63 Wagonaire
          \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Another great installment!!!!!!

One thing that has become a common theme. The company was going through some very tough times, yet this group seems like they were staying optimistic about the future. You would not have guessed that in 6 months they would be closed.
            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
              >>>One thing that has become a common theme. The company was going through some very tough times, yet this group seems like they were staying optimistic about the future. You would not have guessed that in 6 months they would be closed.
              Likely there was only ONE person in these "Staff" level group meetings that had a real insight of what was going on at the very top of the Corporation …and that person appears to have been Dr. Lamberti …Egbert's right hand man!!! In those more recent meetings, Dr. Lamberti seems to have taken on the role of "Staff Cheerleader" to try and "keep the lid on it" for just another 5 months, 22 days until the "Official" announcement would be made in December.

The Studebaker Corporation Board of Directors during their semi-monthly meetings (possible in the very SAME meeting room as these meetings) was scheming to get out of all those $100,000,000+ new multi-year Government contracts in the effort to make their case to the public & others that the Automotive Division had to be shut-down in the USA because it was a "money loser"!

Kurt, you will never believe what all was going on back then until YOU actually read & compare the "Studebaker Corporation Board of Directors Meeting minutes" (now in the SNM Archives) to these "Dr. Lamberti's Meeting minutes" for this same timeframe in 1963.

Oh the travesty of it all!!!
              Last edited by Welcome; 10-15-2011, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Point well taken. For any REAL insight one would need to read those board minutes. Are they available? Might make some interesting winter time reading.
                1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
                X