Christine being held without bond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christine being held without bond

Sometimes, you just have to wonder about simple things like registering a car. When I bought Christine, I figured that getting a North Carolina tilte would be relatively easy. When I went to the DMV a few weeks ago, the nice woman behind the counter brought out a book, about six inches thick, showing procedures for registering a car from any state in this fine country of ours.
    Since this particular car is from Georgia, a non-title state, I need a notarized bill of sale from the seller, which I have and at least copies of three years of previous registrations from the seller OR the bill of sale when he purchased the car.
    I understand that our fine state does not want to filter in any chopped and rebuilt/ stolen and re serial numbered cars, but this is a little bit over the top in my humble opinion.
    I purchased a temporary 10 day permit to drive to the mountains last month, but I don't think spending five bucks every ten days is the answer.
    I know of a guy that is retired from the license and theft division and have put in a call for help. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    My Son will be sixteen on Saturday. It looks like he will be driving my "classic" Taurus to school for a few days instead of his Studebaker.

Sorry about the rant. Between working crazy hours at work and some family issues, I think I need a drink or four.
    Last edited by starliner62; 10-12-2011, 03:59 PM.
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

I really can't believe that in this day and age, there are still states that don't issue titles Good luck to you, I have strong dislike for DMV.
    Travis..

Comment

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, Jamie. I've been trying to find the Bill of Sale from when I bought the car in '09 but I haven't located it yet. At this point I'm assuming it was thrown out when I moved, but I'll keep looking.

Comment

The DMV sucks. I avoid it at all cost. I am not sure about your state, but here is Ca. we have places that can help. In my town we have a little shop that a woman runs who worked at the DMV for like 25 years then she started this registration company. It cost you like $20-200 but they do all of the leg work. Worth every penny.
        My buddy bought a barn find model T and the dmv said there was no way to register it without..... he went to this lady with his bill of sale and they had to send out their inspector which cost an extra $50 to verify the serial numbers and including that $50 it cost him like $175 to do the whole process including his DMV fees and taxes and the registration services fees. He never had to step into the DMV and they got it registered with some 1923 plates he found on ebay.
        You might look for something like that.

Comment

Why couldn't Matthew just write you a new bill of sale and get it notarized? There should be no problem with that. Get it notarized and mail it to him. Three days, maybe?

Comment

If the state of north Carolina wants to verify that the car was from Georgia, all they have to do is look at the inspection sticker from 1973.
            Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
            1955 Commander Sedan
            1964 Champ
            1960 Lark

Comment

I think I am the PO of that car. When Matthew bought the car,for some reason, he registered and insured it in my name. Later I signed it over to him. If so, I would be glad to wright Matthew a bill of sale.
              Neil Thornton

Comment

I had forgotten about that. Jamie, if that would solve the issue, we'll get right on that.

Comment

Well, you guys can't blame the state of North Carolina for being overly cautious. As we know, there is a lot of trafficking going on in stolen 1958 Studebaker Commander 4-doors.

You can't be too careful when dealing in such rare and valuable commodities. <GGG> BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Georgia does not require a title if the car is over 25 years old.
                    That does not mean that you cannot get a Georgia title.
                    I always make sure to pay them the extra $12 for the Georgia title, just in case it gets sold somewhere else.
                    This is a good example of why that should be done...
                    Jeff
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff, I had always been told that you simply couldn't get a title for a vintage car in Georgia. Shows what I know.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                        I always make sure to pay them the extra $12 for the Georgia title, just in case it gets sold somewhere else.
                        This is a good example of why that should be done...
                        Jeff
                        Georgia didn't issue car titles untill 1963. I didn't know you could get a title for one older than that. Is this somthing new?
                        Neil Thornton

Comment

Well, when I transferred the title on the '37 when we moved to Georgia, I was told I didn't need the title, but could get one if I wanted.
                          That's all I know...
                          Jeff

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                          Georgia didn't issue car titles untill 1963. I didn't know you could get a title for one older than that. Is this somthing new?
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

That would work. I would really appreciate it. James would too!

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                            I had forgotten about that. Jamie, if that would solve the issue, we'll get right on that.
                            Jamie McLeod
                            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                            1955 Commander Sedan
                            1964 Champ
                            1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                              That's exactly what I did when I bought my Hawk in Caif.

Comment

Working...
                              X