52 Champion automatic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 Champion automatic?

Hey all. My dad is fixing up a 52 Champion and it has a non-functioning automatic. I am several states away, but want to try and guide him a bit. What trans would be in this car? I assume Borg/Warner, but what model? Are they any good? He said it is pretty small over-all, and has a very small pan. Is there a known supplier who has parts/rebuild kits for whatever it is? Gimme your thoughts, good or bad.
    Travis..

Those transmissions were pretty much bullet proof.

Fatsco is the only supplier I'm aware of; doesn't mean I know anything.
    (800) 524-0485 http://www.fatsco.net/?gclid=CJ75jeOb4qsCFUNN4Aod5B1NOw

Here's the kit for the Borg Warner DG150 most likely in your dad's car.

Welcome to Fatsco Transmission Parts. We are a worldwide supplier of automatic transmission parts dating back to 1946. We specialize in antique automatic transmission parts for units such as Hydramatic, Dynaflow, Powerglide, Powerflite, Torqueflite, Jetaway, Slim Jim, Fordomatic, Cruisomatic, C4, C6, Turbo 350 & 400, just to name a few. Here you can find listings for some of the popular items we offer for sale, but if you don't see the item you need, please contact us.

Last time I checked they also had the kit for the DG200 and bands available for additional charge.
    Last edited by rockne10; 10-11-2011, 07:37 PM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Non Functioning? Could it be low on ATF? Use dipstick to check, but with it running in drive.

Start the car, BLOCK the WHEELS, gently put it in drive, and slowly trickle ATF into the transmission. Before it gets full (dipstick) it will want to move. Not guaranteed but it has happened.

Comment

Outside of band adjustment, is there anything else that would render one of these inoperative besides needing full rebuild? I seriously doubt it, but sometimes quirky things pop up that a person who isn't intimately familiar with a particular item wouldn't know.
        Travis..

Comment

I have the one out of my 52 commander sitting in my garage.....

Need one ?

I'm in So. Cal.

Dean.

Comment

Yes there is just such a quirky little problem with these transmissions. It is the rear pump dump valve and is actually fairly easy to fix if it is the problem. It is attached to the valve body and can be removed without removing the transmission or the valve body. It can stick open with just a tiny bit of crud and makes the transmission do nothing anymore.
            Rob

Comment

I have one that came out of a running champion car. Your car should be a DG200. I stock both DG200 and DG 150. I live in Camino, Ca or apple hill. It is an 1 hour and 20 minutes. Just to let you know, I am vendor of Studebaker parts. Call me at 530-320-6299
              Last edited by royvaldez; 10-12-2011, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Good deal guys, I'll pass along the info. Hopefully he can get his car roadable here in the near future.
                Travis..

Comment

Working...
                X