Hemi Stude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemi Stude

After buying a rebuilt 331 Hemi Engine, an A833 trans and trans adapter, I'm not sure about doing the conversion as i once was. I really like my Stude, I think I'll leave it with the stock engine and trans. Maybe a Hurst shifter and a new exhaust sytem for now

I think my estrogen level is too high, that's the only reason I can figure.
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

Even SCASOs, Swap-Crazy-Azzed-Studebaker-Owners, have fleeting moments of sanity and perspective. Wait a bit and it will pass. Just read some old Hot Rod Magazine Engine Swapping Annuals, do a little bench racing or go to a GoodGuys show and you'll be swap-nuts again.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Just a little teaserClick image for larger version

Name:	HemiStude004-1[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1670833 Sorry couldn't resist!
      Good Roads
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Here's one from the Charlotte IM in 2004....
        Jeff

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Yup, just when sanity begins to set in, and you get cold feet about doing the swap, a couple of jokers send such photos. Ya gotta know, practical or not, it is near impossible in my opinion to beat the visual impact of any mopar hemi in a stude engine compartment, even better when the hood needs no hole cut. As always, a picture is worth a 1000 words...go for it. Cheers, Junior.
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I'm not really a MOPAR guy but I do respect the HEMI. Still the King of Drag racing 50+ years later.
            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
              Yup, just when sanity begins to set in, and you get cold feet about doing the swap, a couple of jokers send such photos. Ya gotta know, practical or not, it is near impossible in my opinion to beat the visual impact of any mopar hemi in a stude engine compartment, even better when the hood needs no hole cut. As always, a picture is worth a 1000 words...go for it. Cheers, Junior.
              Yes they do look real good in there, almost enough to make a guy think about removing a perfectly good sbc.
              I'm hoping my sanity will keep me from doing that.
              But I did see a set of hemi in a stude, motor mounts for sale on the HAMB last week....

Comment

If you have to have a Hemi, use the one out of a 57-58 Dodge. The one in the pic. looks more like a De Soto of the same vintage.

Comment

Define your goals. Do you want OOHs and AAAHs at shows possibly at some time in the future or do you want fun for the dollar now?

I've lost count of the Studes I've owned and the engine swaps I've done or helped do. The one thing I do know is when I remember the fun returned for the work and money invested, it is always the close-to-stock cars/trucks which are the winners.

At present, I've invested several years and dollars on two Packard V8s into Stude swaps and one full-race Studebaker V8. They're interesting projects each, with many unique challenges; however, the time and money invested is way off the charts compared to the time I'll ever be driving them. (Looks familiar. Haven't we just been discussing this on another thread?)

Your project, your money, your decision.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
                    Yes they do look real good in there, almost enough to make a guy think about removing a perfectly good sbc.
                    I'm hoping my sanity will keep me from doing that.
                    But I did see a set of hemi in a stude, motor mounts for sale on the HAMB last week....
                    motor mounts, yep the guy want $200 for them, he has a web site also with collector oil cans and such, I offereed $100 he turned me down. I think he should maybe put them on the shelf with the oil cans.
                    Mark Riesch
                    New Bern, NC

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                      Define your goals. Do you want OOHs and AAAHs at shows possibly at some time in the future or do you want fun for the dollar now?

I've lost count of the Studes I've owned and the engine swaps I've done or helped do. The one thing I do know is when I remember the fun returned for the work and money invested, it is always the close-to-stock cars/trucks which are the winners.

At present, I've invested several years and dollars on two Packard V8s into Stude swaps and one full-race Studebaker V8. They're interesting projects each, with many unique challenges; however, the time and money invested is way off the charts compared to the time I'll ever be driving them. (Looks familiar. Haven't we just been discussing this on another thread?)

Your project, your money, your decision.

jack vines

the cost of this conversion will be near $5000 when I'm done, I've already got $4000 into it, surely it will not raise the value of the car that much, it may even lower the value. that's my main reason for hesitating. But then again it would be awesome
                      I'm lucky enough to make a decent hourly wage with unlimited O/T available, so I can raise the funds and justify it that way.
                      I tell myself if I pull the trigger and do it I better keep the car for a long time,
                      I plan to keep the 289 just in case, that is one advantage no major modifications to fit it in.
                      Mark Riesch
                      New Bern, NC

Comment

Originally posted by TXmark View Post
                        the cost of this conversion will be near $5000 when I'm done, I've already got $4000 into it, surely it will not raise the value of the car that much, it may even lower the value. that's my main reason for hesitating. But then again it would be awesome
                        I'm lucky enough to make a decent hourly wage with unlimited O/T available, so I can raise the funds and justify it that way.
                        I tell myself if I pull the trigger and do it I better keep the car for a long time,
                        I plan to keep the 289 just in case, that is one advantage no major modifications to fit it in.
                        So you've already got the majority of the cost covered and you are still questioning your dream? So you drop it in and you are out a lesser amount as opposed to not putting it in and having it set around. You can always take it out later so what's the issue.

Go for it.

Bob

Comment

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You can always sell a hemi for good money or put it in something else.
                          PS I missed you at the picnic.
                          BH

Comment

I've built a near stock driver and I'll still never get my investment back by selling...only by driving. I'm thinking of also doing a resto-mod, but I'll do it with a car that wouldn't otherwise get back on the road. I like the SBC, but think a Cathcart champion engine would be fun, too. Choices like these are fun.
                            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Stock has its advantages,

KISS,...
                              Keep
                              It
                              Simple
                              Stupid.

Sometimes this does apply.

Dean.

Comment

Working...
                              X