• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks: Shock Absorbers for 1962-'64 GT Hawk

The most recent references found for shocks seem to be:
    Front,Gabriel #82087
    Rear, Gabriel # 82103 or 82151

Anyone have any other suggestions? (the on-line forum interchange list does not note any of the above).
    Any idea as to the difference between the #82103 and 82151?
    Supposedly, the 1966 buick app's should fit - However, checking w/ the shock numbers availablr @ Rockauto, none seem to be available. Autozone used to carry listings but the local one said they list "STUDEBAKER" but no parts available.

Your help is appreciated,
    Paul TK

Paul, the difference between the 82103 and 82151 rears will be in the lower mounting provision; the two are by no means interchangable.

The lower number shock will probably have the lower mount as an eye (1962); the higher number will probably have the lower mount as a stud (1963-1966).

I have a 1976 Gabriel shock absorber catalog, but the Studebaker listings are nothing like those, so I am sure their numbering system has changed in the last 35 years. Imagine that!

Why do you seek an interchange? Don't you want to use Gabriels? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Was interested in the air adjust that Monroe has to offer along w/ a possible greater selection (such as KYB) as well as other Gabriel models that may be available.
      Paul TK

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Paul, the difference between the 82103 and 82151 rears will be in the lower mounting provision; the two are by no means interchangable.

The lower number shock will probably have the lower mount as an eye (1962); the higher number will probably have the lower mount as a stud (1963-1966).

I have a 1976 Gabriel shock absorber catalog, but the Studebaker listings are nothing like those, so I am sure their numbering system has changed in the last 35 years. Imagine that!

Why do you seek an interchange? Don't you want to use Gabriels? BP
        My 1962 Lark has a generic looking 1965-96 Chevy Impala style shock (crossbar with slotted holes bottom and bayonet top) on the front and 1970's Mopar style units on the back (eyelets on both ends).
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Not sure what you are looking for, but I just bought a set of Gabriel Guardian Classics, #82087s at AutoZone a week ago, and installed the first one today. It is a gas shock, and looked exactly like the one I replaced it with. If all goes well, I will replace the 2nd one tomorrow. Local AutoZone still has Stude numbers for shocks, and front wheel cylinders (1 1/16"). I bought them the same time I bought the shocks.

Comment

Thanks for the info. The Grover Beach AutoZone denied having Stude' parts; however their WEB listed them and the SLO store confimed that they could order them - A case of local ignorance or indifference.
            I am interested in finding what shocks are available, what models for Gabriel, Monroe and KYB. I'll try finding interchange numbers for the front Gabriel 82087 and rear 82151.

Thanks to all for your help, Paul TK

Comment

Added Comment:
              Monroe offers rear shocks with both Overload Spring and as Air Charged Overload (user sets pressure with tire type air supply - as in service station). They come as a two shock kit w/ lines and air valve included. Hopefully one is avail. for the '63 Hawk for hauling parts while pulling a trailer.
              Paul TK

Comment

Hi Paul,depends on how much you will drive the car I do 15000 km a year,KONI 8040-1017 is the way to go inthe front ,you have to make your own cross pins in the bottom rings I described that in my 06-03-2011 post,btw dont try for Bilstein,terrible guys,and mexican made shocks are crap.For the rear,its possible you have adjustibles mounted originals ,mine were soft ajusted and when I turned them to firm it was ok ,succes.
                dick waterreus
                Ps your towhook on the hawk how is it made?
                Last edited by hawk gt 62 rhd; 10-15-2011, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X