Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indy Chapter SDC Invades Danville IN Car Show (pix)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy Chapter SDC Invades Danville IN Car Show (pix)

Danville IN is the county seat of Hendricks County, the first county immediately west of Indianapolis. Danville merchants stage a First Friday Car Show around the courthouse square on the -surprise- First Friday of every month during the summer.

This evening (Friday, October 7) was the final First Friday show for the year. Indy Chapter general all around good guy, promoter, and Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race competitor in his 1963 R2 Avanti, Chuck Kern, volunteered to arrive early and block off a section of the street's parking spaces so's the Indy Chapter SDC could invade this evening's First Friday event. Chuck and wife Linda arrived early, blocked off eight spaces total, and we had exactly eight of the Chapter's Studebakers show up! (Can this guy predict or what?)

Here, Chuck's cute Champ stake bed defines the southern end of Studebaker Row:

Lanny Bertram's gorgeous factory R2/4-speed 1963 Lark Custom 2-door was on hand. It was fresh from the report and picture of it's First Place Springfield Win on Page 47 of the October Turning Wheels:

Chuck Kern's 1963 R2 Avanti brought up the north end of Studebaker Row:

The selection was varied to such an extent that you can figure out which car belongs to which member just by looking at the photos:

1963 R2 Avanti: Chuck & Linda Kern
    1964 Daytona Convertible: Bob Palma
    1950 Champion Starlight Coupe: Howe Clark
    1959 Lark VI Regal 4-door (Tahiti Coral): Dave & Diane Elmore

1959 Lark VI Regal hardtop: Bob Parker
    1963 Lark Custom 2-door: Lanny & Barb Bertram
    1957 Golden Hawk: Tom & Judy Lawlis
    1963 Champ stake bed: Chuck & Linda Kern

The weather was simply perfect and the crowd was large; I had to wait some time to take photos without people around the cars. These were taken fairly early; by 6PM, it would have been impossible. There were over 60 cars parked around the town square and hundreds of folks took advantage of a wonderful evening to come "uptown" and see the cars. Good Studebaker exposure with a nice selection of our "favs."

And we all learned something: One fellow came up and, while checking out Tom Lawlis' Golden Hawk, gestured toward the fins. The visitor then went into great detail explaining to us that the fins came off the car and -surprise- the rear fenders underneath were the same as earlier Studebakers with the same body style; that the fins and fenders weren't one and the same piece!

Most of us agreed that learning about the fin/fender assembly was worth the entire evening's time all by itself. <GGG> BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 10-08-2011, 02:21 AM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

Lanny Bertram's gorgeous factory R2/4-speed 1963 Lark Custom 2-door was on hand. It was fresh from the report and picture of it's First Place Springfield Win on Page 47 of the October Turning Wheels: [/B][/COLOR]
    Both of the Ermine White '63 R2's (other one a Hawk) that I did the stainless on took first place at the International. Makes me feel good to know I contributed to that.

But even more glad to see Lanny enjoying that car after the battle he went through during restoration.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
      Both of the Ermine White '63 R2's (other one a Hawk) that I did the stainless on took first place at the International. Makes me feel good to know I contributed to that.

But even more glad to see Lanny enjoying that car after the battle he went through during restoration.
      You bet, Matthew. The quality of your work on Lanny's car was the topic of much discussion in this informal First Friday setting. (That is, once we got over the shock of realizing the 1957-1961 finned-Hawk rear fender arrangement was not one piece! <GGG>).

Lanny and Barb are much enjoying the car. We heard about your umpteen-hundred-mile round trip to return for Lanny's stainless when you got far from home and discovered you'd forgotten it, too! Hey, you're not old enough to be forgetting things yet...wait'll you're in your 60 and 70s for that, OK? BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Looks like you all had a great time. Weather here in the midwest has been absolutely wonderfull for days. Nice for Studebaker driving!!!!
        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
          Looks like you all had a great time. Weather here in the midwest has been absolutely wonderful for days. Nice for Studebaker driving!!!!
          'Sure 'nuf, Kurt. 'All your farmer clients bursting their grain bins with fresh harvest? BP

Comment

Yes they are. Harvest is in full swing and the busy fertilizer season is just starting to get going.

To keep this thread from getting off track, my business is getting busy enough that their is no time for car shows and Stude driving
            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
            X