Who made Studebaker's stainless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who made Studebaker's stainless

Every day I look at and hammer on 50-60 year old stainless trim. I've recently thought, who made the stainless moldings in the first place? Did Studebaker stamp it and polish it themselves, or was it all done by an outside supplier? Anyone know?

good question

What is more interesting is how some stainless takes sanding and polish easy, and some seems harder to do. Some seems more mild, even one out of a 'set' will sometimes polish easier than the rest..... ever notice this? I know there are several types of stainless (hardness) nowdays. I wonder what the difference was back then?

The Ross company did alot of pot metal castings, Budd stamped the steel Studebaker did not do, did one of these companys also do the stainless?

Comment

There was a card file by part number that listed the supplier. Probably at the archives now.

Comment

I have seen mention of a company called Lyons (I think conc erning wheel covers) .
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Studebaker used a number of suppliers over the years. It depends on the part, altho all '63 side trim (as an example) would have been made by the same supplier for a given year. Studebaker didn't seem to "shop around" much and tended to use the same sources for extended lengths of time. Lyons was the primary supplier of wheelcovers, but there was at least one Canadian manufacturer for Hamilton production.
          R2Andrea

Comment

In researching info regarding horn buttons, I came to realize that Studebaker sourced steering column assemblies already constructed from an outside source. A company named Erie Resistor was shown as the maker of plastic horn buttons. Further searching showed Erie Resistor to be part of the outfit that provided complete column assemblies.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
              In researching info regarding horn buttons, I came to realize that Studebaker sourced steering column assemblies already constructed from an outside source. A company named Erie Resistor was shown as the maker of plastic horn buttons. Further searching showed Erie Resistor to be part of the outfit that provided complete column assemblies.
              Welcome back.
              Can't wait to meet you! Hope you don't mind if we look you up on our way home from South Bend.
              Enjoyed your IDYSD ride in your truck last year.
              Good Roads
              Brian
              Brian
              Brian Woods
              woodysrods@shaw.ca
              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Thanks Brian. Not sure I'll be worth the detour, but I'll be here. I had fun makin' that IDYSD vid. While I did drive ol' Pete on THE day this year, I didn't record it. Fact is, I only took him to Lowes to get some plywood for my bench.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

We did a few more miles than that with our local SDC Chapter. (Two day trip).
                  Brian
                  Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca
                  1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Working...
                  X