my 62 GT hawk pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my 62 GT hawk pics

G'day folks just uploaded some pics of my "work in progress" 62 GT hawk. Some of you guys in southern California may recognise it I believe she spent most of her formative years in and around Sacremento.......... I hope the pictures come through....

Attached Files
    Last edited by allstudedude; 10-07-2011, 02:56 AM. Reason: pics didn't work

Looks good. I especially like the first two pictures with the custom wheels.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

What size wheels and tires did you use? I see you call them show wheels. Would they work for driving about? Any rubbing on the back? Looks nice!
      Last edited by David; 10-07-2011, 05:04 AM.
      sigpic
      '89 Ford Festiva
      '90 Ford F250 4x4
      '18 Kia Soul
      '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
      '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Where is this car now? Australia? if so I think you got it from Ian Mackellar and he got it from me a few years ago if so it is a 4 speed car and rather nice one and it did come from Sacramento when I got but spent most of it's life in Victorville California.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

I am partial to GTs, and that one looks like an excellent driver. Much nicer and you'd be afraid to drive it. As is, it's perfect.

Bob P., since you mentioned Victorville, do you remember "Crazy George"? He lived there, and had a couple of dozen Studes, in addition to sevefral other classics. He passed on several years ago, however.
          Joe

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
            Looks good. I especially like the first two pictures with the custom wheels.
            Thanks mate, the wheels will be about the only modern piece going on the car. I intend leaving the paint just like it is and the interior, though not show quality is fairly neat driver quality.

Cheers Phil.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
              What size wheels and tires did you use? I see you call them show wheels. Would they work for driving about? Any rubbing on the back? Looks nice!
              G'day moonraker,
              The wheels are made in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, about 50 miles south of where I live. the company is Show Wheels and the wheels are called Streeters. They're 18x7 and the tyres were 55 series,to match the outside diameter of the original stude tyres. Yes the right rear does rub on the lip of the guard but I recon i can massage the lip enough to get some clearance, It just touches over largish bumps. The fronts scrub the anti-sway bar both sides but only at full lock.

Happy trails, Phil.

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                Where is this car now? Australia? if so I think you got it from Ian Mackellar and he got it from me a few years ago if so it is a 4 speed car and rather nice one and it did come from Sacramento when I got but spent most of it's life in Victorville California.
                G'day candbstudebakers,
                Yes mate the car now lives in Drummond, Victoria ( http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...ed=0CB8Q8gEwAA )

I bought it from the estate of the bloke Ian Mackellar sold it to, apparently he had some form of cancer and passed away. I knew somebody stateside would recognise this hawk and I recon you're right it is quite a good one. How long did you own it for? did you get to drive it at all?
                I've been through the steering, brakes, rebuilt the twin traction, stripped and painted the chassis, underfloor, trunk and cabin floor. Victorville must be a dry climate! there was a 1/2 inch rust hole through the trunk floor and that was it for the whole car!! I've put a new edelbrock carby on it and although it runs pretty good, the oil pressure disappears when she gets hot.

I've been gathering parts for her and down the track I'll rebuild the engine with 60 thou' over 10:1 flatop pistons, 80 degree overlap cam, window distributor and some other goodies.

happy trails, Phil

Comment

victorville is in the upper mojave desert about 30 miles south of barstow, ca. very dry climate. i lived next door in hesperia for 7 years...
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Phil, I buy and sell Studebakers and when I came on this one in Sacramento it was just sitting in the guys drive way and he had not used it in about a year or so, he said he got it when his dad or brother who passed away and he lived in Victorville and that is where all the power dirt or dust came from, I got it running but never did drive it when Ian was looking for a nice driver GT so I sent it down under as I have done with so many Studebaker's since 2001 when I first met Ian, good luck with your GT and enjoy the 4 speed they are nice to drive...Bob
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Thanks for the info Bob, It does drive nice with the 4 speed. I was surprised how well it went considering the tall gearing.......

[QUOTE= I sent it down under as I have done with so many Studebaker's since 2001 [/QUOTE]

I'll keep that in mind if/when i find a decent '63 Daytona in your area, looking for an original 289 4sp TT car that's not too exy. The intention is to build a car for the "nostalgia drags" we have over here. It's similar format to the PSMCDR you have in the states.......

Happy trails...... Phil.

Comment

It is hard to find the 63 set up like you want because Brian Goodall over your way goes after all of them when they come up talk to him he might have one in his flock right now...
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Working...
                        X