My '59 Lark Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My '59 Lark Project

As with my other projects, I thought a thread dedicated to my latest would keep me motivated. This time I'll update progress on my '59 Lark.

Most have read this before, but I'll do a quick recap. It was given to me by my Uncle on my 15th birthday back in 1980. It's a V8 Regal with an automatic, power brakes, twin traction, recliners and a radio. Originally an Alaskan Blue car with a poorly matched repaint in the '70's. My avatar picture is 3 year old me in front of this very car in '68. My goal is to recreate that picture with the car looking as good as it did back then, just need to find a matching trike.......

Next pic was how it looked in the '80's a few years before I parked it, just didn't think it would be over 20 years before I started working on it again.

This is how it looks today. I've removed a rear clip from a parts car to replace all the structure from the c-pillar back, everything should be easy after that.

Last edited by Skinnys Garage; 10-16-2011, 11:34 AM. Reason: changed a picture
    Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Have you held a modeling audition for a 3-year-old Skinny yet?
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Hey Skinny, what became of the '62? Finished? Sold?

I went and found that thread and it kinda leaves us hangin'.....
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
        Have you held a modeling audition for a 3-year-old Skinny yet?
        Are you saying I can't fit on the trike anymore?!?!?!?!?!?

I was thinking about just kneeling down in the same spot (with or without the trike) and taking a few pics. The background still looks about the same and I still have the Rambler hubcaps from the original pic, so I can pop them on for a couple shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
          Hey Skinny, what became of the '62? Finished? Sold?
          I went and found that thread and it kinda leaves us hangin'.....
          After getting it roadworthy enough to use this summer, not much has changed. I've put about 350 miles on it this summer and was really happy to have it at our annual rod run in September. Earlier plans to use the drivetrain in my '59 have changed, so I'll keep updating that thread as I get stuff done.
          Last edited by Skinnys Garage; 10-16-2011, 11:45 AM. Reason: plans for the car changed

Comment

Nice day today, so I finished pulling the rear clip from my parts car. It's not perfect and will need some small repairs, but is a nice solid base to work with anyway. Plan is to use the whole piece as removed, so I took it apart at the spot welds on the c-pillar. I have an NOS rear tail panel, but will wait until everything is installed before changing it. The undercoating isn't putting up too much of a fight, so the next step is to clean the rest of it off. It wasn't to bad a job removing the clip, but I'm guessing it will be a little harder to start cutting up my car........

Comment

Started on the rear clip project today. Removed the bumper, gas tank, seats, deck lid, trim items, rear fenders and glass. I'll leave the rear packing tray/trunk hinge area alone and cut in the centers of the two upper, forward fender attaching holes. I'll finish the cut at a 45 in the forward corners of the deck lid seal/drain area. I won't need to replace the rear under seat floor area, so I'll just separate the trunk floor at the factory seam behind the shelf braces. Should make some progress now that I've actually got started......

Comment

Found some time to get a little more done on the rear clip. Cleaned off all the undercoat and gave it a quick once over with the DA. Found it was in about the condition I expected, so no surprises. Removed the under seat floor section at the factory seam because mine looks good. Also trimmed the rear panel to make more room for repairs as I have an NOS one to install after the whole section is in place.

Finding a cleaner rear section probably would have saved me a little time fabricating repair panels, but what fun is that? Besides, better parts are usually on better cars and I don't normally cut up good cars......and California is so far away to find one.....

Comment

Started cutting my car up today, now comes the fun part. I'm only eight bolts and a steering column away from lifting the body off, but not sure if that's in the plan.....yet.
                  The second pic shows the floors I repaired some 25 years ago, still holding up well. I'll probably just clean them up a bit, rework some things and coat them with POR.

Comment

To: Skinnys Garage,----------------- This Bud's for You!!

Comment

You is one brave dude, ain't scareda nutin, huh. Can't wait til the next update.
                      Kim

Comment

WOW ! You've taken "Look and You'll Love that Lark" to the next level. When Your done I know where the front half of a Golden Hawk is.
                        My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                        sigpic
                        Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                        in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Very nice! I have to do the same thing to my 64 Daytona so it's nice to see someone doing the same repair.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement everyone - I'm gonna need it!

I'm sure it's been done before and will be done again, but it's good to hear I'm not the only one out there doing this operation.

Actually the "wheels" have been turning lately and thoughts of taking this project even further are in the works. Plans for a skytop have been in play for a while, so I've been thinking about frame strength. While my 13 gauge V8 frame is in good shape, it's still fairly thin compared to the 11 gauge frame under my '62 Cruiser.

After crawling around with a tape measure and checking over part numbers in the manuals, I think it may happen. Added benefits will be using the later caster angle, Saginaw box and getting the updated A-frame supports. I'll pull the Cruiser apart first and see how the frame shortening goes before tearing my car down further.....how hard can it be?
                            Last edited by Skinnys Garage; 04-04-2013, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Started my frame experiment today by removing the Cruiser body. Shelved a few parts along with the complete left side floor pan for my '62-Y4 while I was at it. The 289 will come apart and out next, then I'll work on cleaning up and shortening the frame. The second pic shows the carnage......

Comment

Working...
                              X