PDA

View Full Version : Pair o' 66s in CA on eBay

Bob Andrews
10-06-2011, 05:36 AM
I know some here follow the 66s specifically. Here's two currently on eBay- both in CA, first one in Riverside, second in Orange:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-STUDEBAKER-COMMANDER-4-DOOR-SEDAN-ONE-LAST-50-MADE-BUILT-CANADA-/190584900009?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2c5fbec9a9

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-Studebaker-Cruiser-NO-RESERVE-/330622493672?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4cfaa2e3e8

BobPalma
10-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Hey, what's my '56 Clipper hardtop in Shannon Green and Dover White doing out in CA? It was in my garage just yesterday:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF1716.jpg

(See the car to the left of the '66 Commander in Bob's first link!)

In fairness, the Clipper next to the Commander is probably Dover White over Tahitian Jade, which is a little darker than Shannon Green, and was one of the 1956 factory two-tones available. My car's combination of Dover White over Shannon Green was not available as one of the 1956 factory two-tones; it was originally Tahitian Jade over Shannon Green. That put a darker color along the side inserts and on the roof.

I didn't like that at all, so changed the Tahitian Jade upper and side inserts to Dover White when "restoring" the car in 1993. BP

kmac530
10-06-2011, 09:26 AM
You dont se too many Ramblers for sale in Cali....HeHeHr=er Studebakers I mean

1962larksedan
10-06-2011, 10:57 AM
All joking aside: I'm surprised at the apparently large number of survivor 1966's still out there------------and, not just in California. :)

Warren Webb
10-06-2011, 12:45 PM
I notice the one in Riverside states its on a "non-op" with DMV. If anyone in California is interested in this car e-mail me for a little informational tidbit that they may not be aware of.

studegary
10-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Bob P. - I note that you are storing your convertible with the top folded down. Do you think that is a good idea? I thought that the best way was for the top to be up, but unlatched from the header.

Bob Andrews
10-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Bob P. - I note that you are storing your convertible with the top folded down. Do you think that is a good idea? I thought that the best way was for the top to be up, but unlatched from the header.

LOL! I'm gonna guess maybe Bob, of all people, knows what he's doing... better than you or me. Probably combined:)

BobPalma
10-06-2011, 03:49 PM

Good observation and a valid question, Gary.

The tops on both the 1964 Daytona and 1971 Barracuda are original and torn. The Daytona's is so bad it detracts from the appearance of the car, so it's better to leave it down anyway.

The Barracuda's top hasn't been up for probably 25 years. The last time I had it up, I was pushing around the left "earmuff" to tuck it in when it was almost raised, and accidentally put my hand through it, tearing it, it was so brittle. Ugh.

Bottom line: Neither car has a top worth worrying about.

OTOH, the 1973 Mustang seen in the foreground has its original top (and all five orginal tires!). That top is in beautiful condition....but the car has only 17,862 actual miles on it. I bought it and set it aside as a protected collector car when it was only 3 years old, also in 1976: January. (Barracuda, December. And I got married in July 1976, halfway in the same year between purchasing the Mustang and the Barracuda!)

The Mustang's top hasn't been down in probably 30 years. I keep it clean, dry, out of the sunlight and covered; lightly Armor-All'd. It seems to still be quite supple. BP

kamzack
10-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Orange, Ca. car looks to have been hit on passenger side front corner. Clever phototography kinda keeps ya from seeing that.

BobPalma
10-07-2011, 09:03 AM
'Not sure about any existing damage on the RF, Kim; the last photo of the RF wheel seems close enough that the fender is reasonably straight.

However, didn't the previous owner spend so much money on duct tape for the "upholstery" that they could have all but had the front seat reupholstered for the same money? Sheesh. <GGG> BP

sals54
10-07-2011, 10:15 AM
The appearance of the front damage is an optical illusion. It comes from taking the picture while standing too close to the car. The lens distorts the image causing the front corner of the car to appear closer. Correct that by standing farther away and zooming in for the picture. Old photo trick.

Bullet
10-09-2011, 05:10 PM
I think someone got a steal on the Orange County car. $383....WOW that is cheap, there are part on it worth alot more than that. disc brakes, factory AC, probably a great rear end. I missed the deadline, I thought it was 7pm......I missed out. I hope someone on here got the car and is going to try and fix it, at least as a daily driver. If not I am very interested in the under dash AC unit.

Mark

Bill Pressler
10-09-2011, 05:59 PM
I've never seen a '66 Daytona or Cruiser with the red vinyl upholstery. I can almost see behind the tape to how nice it would have looked when new.

crashnzuk
10-10-2011, 01:30 AM
I think someone got a steal on the Orange County car. $383....WOW that is cheap, there are part on it worth alot more than that. disc brakes, factory AC, probably a great rear end. I missed the deadline, I thought it was 7pm......I missed out. I hope someone on here got the car and is going to try and fix it, at least as a daily driver. If not I am very interested in the under dash AC unit.

Mark

That car woulda been a great donor for someone like me with a 2 door 6 cyl car.
Travis..

studegary
10-12-2011, 02:58 PM
LOL! I'm gonna guess maybe Bob, of all people, knows what he's doing... better than you or me. Probably combined:)

10/20/11 "OCW" has an article on storage. Direct quote: "Keep convertible tops up to prevent wrinkling and shrinkage. Some convertible owners suggest leaving the top unlatched to prevent it from becoming too stretched and dry rotting." It was nice to see this article agreeing with my practice and recommendation.

In post number 8 Bob P. did not disagree with me and did give a lengthy explanation of the reasons for the position of the tops on his stored cars.

Bob Andrews
10-12-2011, 03:24 PM
10/20/11 "OCW" has an article on storage. Direct quote: "Keep convertible tops up to prevent wrinkling and shrinkage. Some convertible owners suggest leaving the top unlatched to prevent it from becoming too stretched and dry rotting." It was nice to see this article agreeing with my practice and recommendation.

In post number 8 Bob P. did not disagree with me and did give a lengthy explanation of the reasons for the position of the tops on his stored cars.

Right. Just as I said, he knows what he's doing! :)

Warren Webb
10-13-2011, 05:34 AM
Mark, I'm the one that bought the 66 Cruiser in Orange for many of the same reasons you said. As far as the body goes the hood inner crossbrace was bent along with the upper radiator support tie bar & latch from someone prying open the hood. The L/F fender is rusted in the battery tray area and the deck lid is damaged most likely from the same person prying it open. This is my 3rd 66. All 3 have red interiors and the Daytona has the same style as the Cruiser in red vinyl. The carpet is original even still has the heal pad with the lazy S moulded in it!

I'm going to get a battery cable for it tomorrow, have the ignition recoded to my key & see if it starts. If so, I'll fix it up with a nice paint job & have it a dependable runner my wife can use to drive to work.

Bullet
10-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Glad you got the car and for a GREAT price. I would love to see it some time and your other cars. Maybe at the Zone meet or LA Palma...next year.

Mark

Warren Webb
10-16-2011, 09:04 AM
So far I have replaced the deck lid, upper tie bar on the radiator support, installed a battery & cranked the engine over. Oil pressure reads a little over 40 lbs & even the clock works! Its a nicely optioned car, even has the reclining seat backs although it doesnt have the "60/40" front seat. The wire harness has been the feed of a homesteading rodent in the past who has eaten thru it completly at the voltage regulator area. I have another harness but might just try to repair this one instead.

Dick Clemens
10-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Warren, 66 did not have indivisual devided seats, just the backs laid down. Also as far as I know most of the 60's studedies didn't have 60/40 splits.

I bought a front wireing harness for my 66 from Dennis at SASCO a couple of years ago, very reasonably. 65-66 are different from 64.

studedick from the lower Ozarks