PDA

View Full Version : Plain Jane Avanti on Ebay

64V-K7
10-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Not even Power Steering ....but low mileage and he's looking for $$$

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-AVANTI-R1-1964-STUDEBAKER-AVANTI-R1-9-972-ACTUAL-MILES-99-ORIGINAL-UNRESTORED-WOW-/160660288462?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item25681973ce#v4-40

okc63avanti
10-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Not even Power Steering ....but low mileage and he's looking for $$$

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-AVANTI-R1-1964-STUDEBAKER-AVANTI-R1-9-972-ACTUAL-MILES-99-ORIGINAL-UNRESTORED-WOW-/160660288462?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item25681973ce#v4-40

Another 10,000 mile survivor for Jim McCaun and Matthew to increase the value for by taking it to the drag strip !!!! :) :) :)

52 Ragtop
10-05-2011, 08:03 PM
He does have an automatic! <G> My 63 was originally black on black, 3 speed, am radio, and hill holder! That's a plain jane!! <G>

Jim

Gunslinger
10-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Low optioned or not...that's overall a nice car.

mbstude
10-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Another 10,000 mile survivor for Jim McCaun and Matthew to increase the value for by taking it to the drag strip !!!! :) :) :)

Let me drag race it and then write the ebay ad, and it'll set a record price. :rolleyes:

avanti76
10-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Nice looking car. Solid.

StudeRich
10-06-2011, 12:37 AM
It is a very nice condition car, appears to be one of the '64 Allstate contest giveaway cars with manual steering.

BobPalma
10-06-2011, 08:50 AM
It is a very nice condition car, appears to be one of the '64 Allstate contest giveaway cars with manual steering.

Quite possible as to it's ultimate use, Rich.

After all, the destination is none other than the ominous bowels of South Bend known as Lot 151! <GGG>

'Sure is a pretty car. BP

Welcome
10-06-2011, 10:01 AM
>>>After all, the destination is none other than the ominous bowels of South Bend known as Lot 151! <GGG> BP

BP, just did a "search" on here, but no results for "LOT 151" showed up. Awhile back on this Forum (or maybe it was in a TW issue:confused:) wasn't it stated that ominous "LOT 151" was an area designation at the Chippewa Ave. Plant???

riversidevw
10-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Just beautiful.

I have a long record of passionate relationships with pristine low-mileage originals. Those five original tires bring back memories of the '58 Continental convertible we sold a couple of years ago... had come out of the Crawford Museum. The big silver Mark III still had all five original Goodyears and under 6K miles when it sold. We felt more like curators than owners.

My wife reminds me that I would have to abandon all hope of retirement during my lifetime if I do it again.

Gil

2R5
10-06-2011, 10:11 AM
I've never considered any Avanti being "Plain Jane"
.....and if power steering means plain jane then I guess there are alot of PJ cars out there <g>

jnfweber
10-06-2011, 10:57 AM
I would trade that for my R2 no questions asked. I'm tired with fooling with the sealed supercharged AFB. I have been told by the "experts" that Allstate tires were not original equipment on Avantis. but this is the exception, at least some came with Allstate tires. This is, as the owner says, a pristine car, almost new, low mileage. Sweet.

woodysrods
10-06-2011, 11:32 AM
I want to know if that vanity mirror and drawer was stock. And if so where can I get one??
Good Roads
Brian

BobPalma
10-06-2011, 11:39 AM
BP, just did a "search" on here, but no results for "LOT 151" showed up. Awhile back on this Forum (or maybe it was in a TW issue:confused:) wasn't it stated that ominous "LOT 151" was an area designation at the Chippewa Ave. Plant???

Jim: I'm not sure where Lot 151 was located.

The joke, of course, is that if the car wasn't built against a firm order and was going to sit around until somebody stepped up to it, it would be parked in Lot 151; kind of a purgatory!

There were probably sold cars there, too; I just don't know right now. BP

Corvanti
10-06-2011, 11:55 AM
I want to know if that vanity mirror and drawer was stock. And if so where can I get one??
Good Roads
Brian
yes, they were stock. i just sold mine on ebay last month... never got around to installing it on my avanti before i sold her.
dan booth at nostalgic motors probably has some...

1952stude
10-06-2011, 12:17 PM
I worked on the avanti line in 1963 . Sure was a. good job.

karterfred88
10-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Nice car, was on E-Bay some years ago, with an outrageous asking price. Didn't keep a copy of the listing but was supposed to be an Allstate car (first Radial Tire Option) and from a museum. Listing was pulled before bidding ended, I assume sold direct for some undisclosed amount ( despite e-bay rules to the contrary). As I remember the asking price was about $10k more than Edmunds collector value at that time, so I'm sure he wants a pretty penny for it. It was located on Long Island--I think the listing said Islip, but can't find it anymore in my trivia trove. I'm curious at where the bidding will go on this one.

sweetolbob
10-06-2011, 12:45 PM
yes, they were stock. i just sold mine on ebay last month... never got around to installing it on my avanti before i sold her.
dan booth at nostalgic motors probably has some...

Brian

I'd keep looking at Ebay, I purchased one there about three months ago for less than $25 including shipping but it was certainly not in prime shape. Works well in my 83 after some repairing.

If you want NOS then I'll agree about Nostalgic Motors as the source.

Bob

riversidevw
10-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Didn't keep a copy of the listing but was supposed to be an Allstate car (first Radial Tire Option)

Perhaps it might have been a promotion for Allstate products rather than a radial tire option? I seem to recall that the first Sears Allstate radial 80 series whitewall (supplied by Michelin) arrived just a bit later, perhaps around '66 . Initially the only 15 inch size offered was a ridiculous (for Studebaker) 175R15. They required a special Michelin inner tube. Sears would install those tiny tires on anything that would hold still, including the brand new Corvette that one of my schoolmates was given as a graduation present in the spring of '66. I was waiting in line for them at Sears when they added sizes like 195R15, just about right for the '57 Golden Hawk I had recently purchased.

But I've been wrong so many times...

Gil

studegary
10-06-2011, 01:49 PM
I would trade that for my R2 no questions asked. I'm tired with fooling with the sealed supercharged AFB. I have been told by the "experts" that Allstate tires were not original equipment on Avantis. but this is the exception, at least some came with Allstate tires. This is, as the owner says, a pristine car, almost new, low mileage. Sweet.

I have also known some Avanti "experts" that said that Avantis did not come with Allstate tires. Some Avantis DID come from the Studebaker factory with Allstate tires. My 1964 Avanti was one of them and it was indicated on the build sheet. The Allstate tires on them were the normal bias ply, not radials. Allstate did a big advertising campaign with Studebaker Avantis, including a cross country run with Avantis on Allstate tires. I remember seeing one of those Avantis when it had 6K miles and it was still on its original Allstate tires.

studegary
10-06-2011, 01:57 PM
This Avanti is S/N 5166. IIRC, my 1964 Avanti was S/N 5176. My 1964 was a part of a run of Avantis that were built similar to each other (some the same) and all with Allstate tires.

8E45E
10-06-2011, 02:07 PM
I have also known some Avanti "experts" that said that Avantis did not come with Allstate tires. Some Avantis DID come from the Studebaker factory with Allstate tires.

How many other cars (not counting Sears own Allstate-branded Henry J) had Allstate tires factory installed? I wonder if Studebaker was the only car manufacturer to have OEM 'Department Store' tires....

Craig

FlatheadGeo
10-06-2011, 06:44 PM
I was unaware that Studebaker had our own equivalent to Area 51!!!!!!!!!!

10-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Not to throw cold water on the discussion, but I'm wondering why the rear spring bushing is so squashed out and split. Also, the seat separation seems a bit strange for such a low miles car. My '64 with the original interior and almost 80,000 miles doesn't show that damage nor did my earlier '64 with 50,000 miles (owned 2002 through 2006).

8E45E
10-06-2011, 07:10 PM

Maybe here?? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?29712-From-the-Archives-2&highlight=quinn

Craig

studefan
10-06-2011, 08:46 PM
I can't explain the bushing but everything else looks low mileage to me including the correct satin finish air cleaner. Also, note the body number "chalked" on the lower front inside edge of the hood. It matches the number on the production order. Pretty cool.

BobPalma
10-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Not to throw cold water on the discussion, but I'm wondering why the rear spring bushing is so squashed out and split. Also, the seat separation seems a bit strange for such a low miles car. My '64 with the original interior and almost 80,000 miles doesn't show that damage nor did my earlier '64 with 50,000 miles (owned 2002 through 2006).

Paul, I wouldn't be too concerned about those items if everything else checks out, and it seems to.

9,000 miles of sporty driving over 48 years with temperature and humidity cycles on them could certainly knock out that cheap bushing rubber; they never were all that good.

Too, if it is a low-miles car that a fairly heavy or inattentive fellow owned and slid in and out of that front seat at the right angle(s) several times a month just to move the car around, that could cause the seat damage. Granted, it's odd, but I think I'd have to find more than those two items to seriously question the miles. BP

JBOYLE
10-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Also, the seat separation seems a bit strange for such a low miles car. My '64 with the original interior and almost 80,000 miles doesn't show that damage nor did my earlier '64 with 50,000 miles (owned 2002 through 2006).

We all know as the car ages, the seat foam breaks down....getting in and out of a car without good foam would also age the covers.
If it's original, I wonder if it has any seat foam left?
My car was so bad, theere was a foam dust cloud every time you sat down.
Are they all like that or is some foam still okay after 50 years?

Gunslinger
10-07-2011, 11:38 AM
We all know as the car ages, the seat foam breaks down....getting in and out of a car without good foam would also age the covers.
If it's original, I wonder if it has any seat foam left?
My car was so bad, theere was a foam dust cloud every time you sat down.
Are they all like that or is some foam still okay after 50 years?

I have a '69 Corvette with the original upholstery that does that...I simply tell people it's pollen. An upholstery guy told me it's as much the foam lining to the upholstery as the foam cushions. If I ever get the seats recovered, it will all be done but it's in excellent shape so I'm living with it. I guess GM does it different than Studebaker.

riversidevw
10-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Crumbling of the foam was really common, not just the cushions but the stuff used for the pleats and contours of the seat cover. When we bought the Packard Hawk about 28 years ago, the foam had not only crumbled but partially congealed into a sticky glutinous mess. It was so gnarly that it was best to replace the leather on the seats, though the original was still intact.

It's not just Detroit or South Bend. For years Mercedes used a fancy horsehair-based material for the firm padding of their seats in premium models. I realized something was amiss when I found myself sitting on the floor, there was a mound of dark powder on the floor under the seat of this original 12K mile 450 SLC coupe. It was probably aggravated by the high summer heat in the warehouse I once used for storage of the cars.

Gil

8E45E
10-07-2011, 04:57 PM
For years Mercedes used a fancy horsehair-based material for the firm padding of their seats in premium models. I realized something was amiss when I found myself sitting on the floor, there was a mound of dark powder on the floor under the seat of this original 12K mile 450 SLC coupe. It was probably aggravated by the high summer heat in the warehouse I once used for storage of the cars.

I also remember late 50's German cars with the white colored plastic knobs where some would either disintegrate into a powder or literally crumble in ones fingers after years of exposure to sunlight.

Craig

SILENTBOB
10-07-2011, 05:08 PM

I would suggest that this car has a few more than 9xxx mile on the clock. For example, it appears to have been repainted with modern base/clear coat paint (look inside the door hinge area overspray and metallic not in original paint formulation), the carpets are well faded and look worn, the engine compartment has been nicely touched up but look at the top of the radiator support, windshield wiper motor and the hood opening mechanism - rust and oily dirt that comes from use.

Green53
10-07-2011, 06:45 PM
My 64 came with Allstate tires. Production order shows this change. My car still has the chaulk mark on the hood matching the serial number. Car is R5014.

Denny L

bezhawk
10-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Avanti paint, unless it is black or white IS METALLIC . That is what "iridized" means. The Avanti Red shown has the correct gold looking metalflake in it.

Welcome
10-07-2011, 07:28 PM
I also remember late 50's German cars with the white colored plastic knobs where some would either disintegrate into a powder or literally crumble in ones fingers after years of exposure to sunlight. Craig

In all probability made with "Tenite,'' as were the '56 Golden & Sky Hawk steering wheels.:(

SILENTBOB
10-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Avanti paint, unless it is black or white IS METALLIC . That is what "iridized" means. The Avanti Red shown has the correct gold looking metalflake in it.

As the owner of an original 1964 Avanti Red car (R5175), I disagree. The original paint color did have "some metallic" in it, but not the amount "goldish" color present in this car.

I recently had my present 1964 Avanti painted in Avati Red. It came out the same as the one for sale. I was not happy with the result because of the non original "golish" color. I was referred to the Dupont rep that said that they no longer produce the original red formulation, but instead use chromealux pigments that have more of a copper-gold look.

bezhawk
10-08-2011, 05:58 PM
I repainted my red 63 because I didn't like the bronze tint....it looked to much like a tomato! It was absolutely original and 26K miles when I purchased it.
The statement was that the paint was non-metalic, which is not correct.

Welcome
10-15-2011, 02:32 PM
With several hours to go, bidding just topped $20K ...and the Seller's recently "LOWERED" reserve price still has not been met!!!:rolleyes:

JDP
10-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Late Avanti's had Allstate tires as a option. Here's the build sheet from my Survivor Avanti.

64V-K7
10-15-2011, 05:12 PM
Hey SilentBob,

How's the West Coast.?