Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

350 Chevy into a 1962 Lark: exhaust system options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: 350 Chevy into a 1962 Lark: exhaust system options?

Someone here used repop 1966-72 Avanti headpipes to get his SBC into a ca. 1963 Lark 2 door.

I have a 1962 4 door 113" WB (Y body) that I'm swapping a 350 Chevy and TH350 AT in using the 1965-66 Stude 283 pedestals and generic non heat riser straight dump Rams Horn exhaust manifolds.

What can I use for headpipes since my car has the longer WB? I will probably use repop/NOS Stude Lark 1962-64 mufflers and tailpipes for simplicity.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

The same parts as the shorter wheel base will fit. The change in length is closer to the center of the car, not the front.
    The head pipes only go far back as the bell housing ( cross member) The pipes in front of the mufflers connect to these (technically called the front pipes in the parts books). Use the correct ones for the model you are working on and they should connect to the head pipes.
    Last edited by bezhawk; 10-06-2011, 04:37 AM.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Might check with Don Simmons, advertises in TW. made out of stainless real nice fit. Mac.

Comment

62 Lark Sedan
        The pipes to use for the front exhaust are Avanti 11.The pipes back are the same . The difference in length is made up in the muffler on Long Wheelbase sedans .They take a 31 5/8"muffler as opposed to the Hawks & sedan 27 5/8" muffler. My uncle 's dealership stock had pipes to use the shorter mufflers on the LW sedans. Yes ,I would recommend Don Simmons. His systems are perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
          62 Lark Sedan
          The pipes to use for the front exhaust are Avanti 11.The pipes back are the same . The difference in length is made up in the muffler on Long Wheelbase sedans .They take a 31 5/8"muffler as opposed to the Hawks & sedan 27 5/8" muffler. My uncle 's dealership stock had pipes to use the shorter mufflers on the LW sedans. Yes ,I would recommend Don Simmons. His systems are perfect!
          Very good info on the headpipes being the same dimensions on Y bodies and Avanti's. I have no need for stainless though in all fairness; I live in Arizona where OEM exhaust systems sometimes last 50 years or longer. Does Don deal with 'Old School' regular exhaust systems?
          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
          X