PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker Hawk on Hunnert Car Pileup Homepage!

BobPalma
10-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Woo-hoo; cool beans.

This event is becoming a Very Big Deal. If we didn't have family plans well in place for this Saturday, I'd be there in a heartbeat. (Hmmm, maybe I should choose another phrase...)

Anyway, a cool straight-axle gasser Hawk is the masthead banner for this year's event:

http://www.hunnertcarpileup.com/

Edit: It seems that the '61 Hawk gasser is in rotation with other photos on the masthead.

Each time I've clicked on the home page through the above link, one of maybe six or seven photos shows up, one of which is the Hawk. When I clicked on Pictures along the right-side menu, the Hawk again showed up on the opening page.

So it's in there somewhere at any given time! BP

DEEPNHOCK
10-03-2011, 08:46 PM
If that is the 'Suicide King' Hawk, it has had an interesting rollout...
They staged a wheelie burnout for the video camera's and the removeable steering wheel removed itself at the most embarrasing moment.
The car ran right and hit a concrete culvert, tearing the tube axle out from underneath the car...
As an unrelated side note, I invited Matthew to do his stainless stuff at the last hunnert car pileup in Gainesville, FL a few years ago.
He declined, saying he wanted to stick to Stude's...
Fun group.....
Jeff (a HAMB Alliance member):cool:

Woo-hoo; cool beans.

This event is becoming a Very Big Deal. If we didn't have family plans well in place for this Saturday, I'd be there in a heartbeat. (Hmmm, maybe I should choose another phrase...)

Anyway, a cool straight-axle gasser Hawk is the masthead banner for this year's event:

http://www.hunnertcarpileup.com/

Edit: It seems that the '61 Hawk gasser is in rotation with other photos on the masthead.

Each time I've clicked on the home page through the above link, one of maybe six or seven photos shows up, one of which is the Hawk. When I clicked on Pictures along the right-side menu, the Hawk again showed up on the opening page.

So it's in there somewhere at any given time! BP

BobPalma
10-03-2011, 09:05 PM
If that is the 'Suicide King' Hawk, it has had an interesting rollout...
They staged a wheelie burnout for the video camera's and the removeable steering wheel removed itself at the most embarrasing moment.
The car ran right and hit a concrete culvert, tearing the tube axle out from underneath the car...
Fun group.....
Jeff (a HAMB Alliance member):cool:

Yes, Jeff; I believe it is that car. BP

COMMANDERPINK1
10-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Hey Bob
Friends of mine are going and asked if I wanted to tag along this year beings I ribbed them hard about leaving me behind last year. BUT had to decline, I'm hosting our annual Fall Tour for the Iowa Hawkeye Club which will be as much fun.
Tom

Da Tinman
10-04-2011, 12:38 AM
I'll be there in the Blinged out white Lark, come by and say hi! I may be sleeping in the trunk during the show like I did last year.

mbstude
10-04-2011, 01:16 AM
As an unrelated side note, I invited Matthew to do his stainless stuff at the last hunnert car pileup in Gainesville, FL a few years ago.
He declined, saying he wanted to stick to Stude's...

Since then my comfort zone has grown and I've done quite a few non-Stude jobs. (Street rodders - not CASO's).

My '57 wagon will fit in quite nicely after I get it here and do the things it "needs". :rolleyes: It'll be fun venturing into new territory.

studerodder
10-04-2011, 07:20 AM
the hunnertcarpileup was never in georgia. it has always been in illinois. this is the last year for the HCPU.

JRoberts
10-04-2011, 07:40 AM
the hunnertcarpileup was never in georgia. it has always been in illinois. this is the last year for the HCPU.

Why is this the event's last year? Has it just gotten too big?

BobPalma
10-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Why is this the event's last year? Has it just gotten too big?

Good question, Joe. I hope someone answers it...after all, it's on my bucket list, so I hope it doesn't kick the bucket before I do! <GGG> BP

DEEPNHOCK
10-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Well, it was the Florida equivelant... I think it was the no-billet something...
It was a HAMB group event...

dusty taylor
10-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Here is the car. Dusty

Da Tinman
10-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Too big, too much hassle, time consuming, and lots of other reasons.

I'm friends with the Chrome Czars that put on the show and its just gotten to the point where they are putting way to much time and effort into the show and without a full time promoter its become too mch to handle.

Sorry to see it go as it has become the place to be for a traditional rodder, but I fully understand why they are putting it to rest.

BobPalma
10-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the report, Jay. Certainly understandable, albeit sad. Hopefully, the Chrome Czars fellows will still be talking to each other when it closes. Please thank them on our behalf for a great show I, for one, wish I could attend. BP

JRoberts
10-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Too big, too much hassle, time consuming, and lots of other reasons.

I'm friends with the Chrome Czars that put on the show and its just gotten to the point where they are putting way to much time and effort into the show and without a full time promoter its become too mch to handle.

Sorry to see it go as it has become the place to be for a traditional rodder, but I fully understand why they are putting it to rest.

Thanks for the explanation. Events like that are a big undertaking, and to do them year after year makes things harder and harder. This is especially true for events that are immensly successful.

studerodder
10-04-2011, 07:22 PM
The Chrome Czars aren't done yet. their new event, hunnertcarheadsup, runs next may at union grove dragstrip for the third time. vintage cars drag racing. it just gets cooler.

BobPalma
10-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Hey, Butch; that sounds promising. Keep us posted here, will you? Thanks. BP