vin #s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vin #s

Hello I have a 66 wagonaire and would like to know how to read my vin#s c 532958 ??? thanks

Originally posted by 66wagonaire View Post
    Hello I have a 66 wagonaire and would like to know how to read my vin#s c 532958 ??? thanks
    The serial number only tells you it's one of the 1966 V8's. i.e, the last car built was a V8 Cruiser # C534654 To find out more you'd need a production order from the Studebaker museum, but I'm not sure if they have the Candian cars.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

All I can tell you is it was built sometime around the end of November '65
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

They have some of the Canadian cars, 60-66. I wasn't able to get a copy of my 57 Hamilton car build sheet of course, as they have no Canadian production 59 and before, but previously had the build sheet of my 60 Hamilton Hawk. They might not have all of the 65-66 build sheets; ISTR somewhere that it was mentioned that they were spotty in coverage

Actually, Studebakers never had VIN, and only a serial number, as they ceased production well before VINs came into use. The Serial number will in effect tell you where it was built, either US or Canada, and whether it came with a 6 or V8, like 60S 10820 being a 1960 South Bend six, and 60VC 1332 being a Hamilton V8, both 1960. It will vaguely give you an idea when in the year it might have been built, early, middle or late, based on where within the serial numbers it is.

The body tag on the cowl will tell you just a bit more, such as the model and trim. Something like 63 V P8 1442 would be a 1963 V8 Daytona Wagonaire (4 dr wagon) with the 441st body.

Getting the Production Order from the Studebaker National Museum will tell you how and when it was produced, the trim, colour, options, special itemsetc and much more info, even more than a VIN does nowadays.
        Worth the $33 https://studebakermuseum.org/store/production-orders/
        Last edited by Jim B PEI; 10-03-2011, 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
          /Cut/Something like 63 V P8 1442 would be a 1963 V8 Daytona Wagonaire (4 dr wagon) with the 441st body./Cut/
          /[/URL]
          Make that the 1442nd. body of that exact model, trim level and for that engine type, that was welded up on the body line.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
          X