Got new truck - got some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got new truck - got some questions

I have just bought a 1957 Transtar pickup (3E7) and I am trying to identify my engine.
    I think it is a 259 with auto trans. Motor number starts with a (1) on the top of 535601. This motor has air conditioning and power steering but it looks to be added on? Oil filter is on top of motor (up side down) near oil filler and the thermostat is a four bolt pattern.
    Carb is a stromberg 6-120 two barrel consistant with the auto trans. Duel gas tanks (original?)
    My second problem is I cannot get this truck to go over 30 mph. It seems to have a throttle kicker on it which no one can identify. I just rebuilt the carb as it was leaking badly from everywhere. I do not know if it has overdrive but it seems as if it is not shifting up to a higher gear for higher speeds. But it is not stuck in low drive. Where do I begin????

The engine number is stamped on a machined pad at the front edge of the block on the driver's side. What you were reading is a casting number. Your engine is likely to be a 259 -- the first character in the engine number should be a V. See the picture and list of V8 engine numbers here:

The original Stude automatics did not have overdrive. They were three-speeds that started in second in cars. I believe they started in first in trucks. The original gas tank would have been mounted under the seat and the forward part of the pickup bed. Dual tanks were optional on the big trucks, but not on the pickups.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks, I found the number under all the grime. 3E4091 which looks to be original for '57. Any idea as to why I have no power or I cannot go over 30mph? I am guessing at the speed as the gauges don't work at all. Engine revs up but I don;t go faster. I will gain some speed over a long distance but never 50 plus. I do have a couple of lifters clacking loudly (just added some mystery oil to get rid of deposits around valves if any.)I am assuming that they can be adjusted. Could sticky valves cause this to happen? Other causes????

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Could you put where you are located in your signature line. It helps us too. Have you joined the SDC? if not lots of good information in the Magazine Turning Wheels A+. Local Chapters can be found online also from the main page. We love pictures too. I don't have the answer to your question but others will have suggestions.
        Welcome
        Anne
        Mabel 1949 Champion
        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        The Prez 1955 President State
        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
        Fresno,Ca

Comment

Likely also restriction to fuel flow: intake from fuel tank, weak pump, inlet into carb, blocked and clogged filters.

Comment

If the engine is reving without a speed increase, the trans is slipping. If it just runs out of revs, maybe the trans is not upshifting.
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Could be as simple as not enough fluid in the transmission. Studebaker automatics are meant to be checked at idle in "D" range. Suggest you have a helper stand on the brake, or nudge the front bumper up to a sturdy tree when doing a fluid check. Find some way to restrain the vehicle over and above the use of the parking brake.

Another cause for severely diminished power is a clogged exhaust system. On vehicle taken out of long storage, you may find the muffler or exhaust pipes clogged by the nests of mice or mud-dauber wasps. Mouse nests in dry-element air filters have been found, too.
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

3E Trucks

Glad to hear about another 3E truck kickin' about. Please post some pictures when you can.
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

One very easy thing you can do, start from a dead stop at light to medium throttle, let her go holding the RPM steady and count the shifts, there should be TWO.

Also keep in mind that this truck should have a pretty low geared rear axle, and will never run at over 50 MPH at a very low RPM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks everyone. Adding tranny fluid did give me more speed but I need a lot more. Carb and choke still need adjusting (this weekend) and the butterfly is sticking and hanging up some. This truck was restored I would say in the 80's or 90's and has been sitting for a few years. All original with some lite mods done. Has leaks from every orifice, loud lifters, and everything needs adjusting and cleaning. Will work on mechanics first and worry about paint later. No rust issues at all and little to no bondo, just some paint chips and dings.
                    Looking for signal/parking lights and brackets that go inside of front grille and back lights and fold-a-way brackets if anyone know of some for sale. Also steering wheel and horn assembly. Has custom wheels and would like to go back to original if anyone knows what make or size they are and where I could get a set.
                    Someone put power steering and A/C on it and the motor numbers where under them and a lot of grime. The power steering unit looks to be from a Chevy/GM.
                    I will post some pics soon.
                    I am in the Palm Beach area of Florida.
                    Last edited by doublepaddle; 10-04-2011, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Before you get too concerned about "loud lifters" in a Studebaker engine...be sure to get in contact with some of your fellow Florida SDC members and get opinions from several of them regarding the engine noise. (Florida has lots of good active SDC members.) These are solid lifter engines and a little clatter means that the valves are opening and closing completely. A Studebaker engine that is too quiet (to me) is a sign of an engine that may be down on power and subject to burning valves.

Welcome to the forum and happy trucking!
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                      X