1962 Lark convertible in "Pan Am" series on ABC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Lark convertible in "Pan Am" series on ABC

As an airline pilot, I was thrilled to see one of the main characters, a Pan Am Boeing 707 captain driving a beautiful black 1962 Lark convertible in the first few minutes of this weeks episode of "Pan Am"! He was on his way to work at Idlewild (it wasn't JFK yet). Maybe he's got a '63 Avanti on order...or the Lark was a dealer loaner while the Avanti was in the shop...or he's just a ragtop man!

Russ Farris
    Last edited by maxpower1954; 10-02-2011, 06:21 PM.
    1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
    1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

I saw it and just commented in the thread about the series premiere episode of this show. I got excited when the camera panned out and showed the entire car. How about that burnout that the stewardess did with it! Must be a Regal model? Doesnt have Daytona trim or bucket seats. Perhaps the owner belongs to the club?
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
      I saw it and just commented in the thread about the series premiere episode of this show. I got excited when the camera panned out and showed the entire car. How about that burnout that the stewardess did with it! Must be a Regal model? Doesnt have Daytona trim or bucket seats. Perhaps the owner belongs to the club?

Just discovered a new trivia question. What lawsuit involved Studebaker Packard Corp and Pan Am ?
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
        Just discovered a new trivia question. What lawsuit involved Studebaker Packard Corp and Pan Am ?
        The use of the word "Clipper" which was jealously guarded by Pan Am. They took Piper to court in the late 1940's over the new Piper Clipper, which was forced to rename the model "Pacer".

Russ Farris
        1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
        1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Originally posted by maxpower1954 View Post
          The use of the word "Clipper" which was jealously guarded by Pan Am. They took Piper to court in the late 1940's over the new Piper Clipper, which was forced to rename the model "Pacer".

Russ Farris
          Correct:

"Notable, too, was a Pan Am lawsuit versus Packard in 1955, which charged that Packard’s use of the names Clipper, Caribbean, Constellation, Pan American, Panama and Pacific, all of which Pan Am used in its marketing programs and all models produced by Packard, was copyright infringement.

The lawsuit, filed by Pan Am, drug on for three years until Packard dropped the names, with Studebaker’s help. Pan Am agreed to dismiss the lawsuit, although millions were already spent in defense."
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Must have been a twin traction car.
            Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
            1958 Commander "Christine"
            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
            1955 Commander Sedan
            1964 Champ
            1960 Lark

Comment

I wasn't paying much attention to the show, but looked up and could tell that pilot was in a stude once I saw the dashboard. Then when they panned back, man! A black beauty. Pretty neat how she got to drive and peeled out. That car was more than a background prop, it was the whole scene.
              (the broken down taxi was a Chevy! Ha!)

Comment

Nice to see the cars we love in HD! No mistaking the ribs on that padded dash.
                sigpicAl Reed
                North Bay Area, CA
                1961 Lark Regal Skytop
                1953 Commander Starlight

Comment

Here's the other thread to keep it all tidy.
                  61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Ok, since I am usually watching sports, Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers, Chasing Classic Cars, etc. Someone tell me what this show is about, when and where it is on, etc.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                      Ok, since I am usually watching sports, Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers, Chasing Classic Cars, etc. Someone tell me what this show is about, when and where it is on, etc.
                      It's easy to find...you don't even need cable.
                      It's on ABC, Sunday 10PM/9 central.
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Thanks, (Mr.) Boyle! If I had read the entire post title...I would have seen it explicitly said "on ABC." However, that is usually a time when I am watching the late NFL game, or History channel, or Discovery, etc. Now I know. Since I have not seen it, will the Studebaker be a regular or does the story move on from the time period?
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                          Since I have not seen it, will the Studebaker be a regular or does the story move on from the time period?
                          If they need to show the pilot drive his car, we'll probably see it again. But not every week, I'm sure.
                          The series is only two episodes old, so we don't know how much they'll follow the characters lives outside the plane and on overseas trips.
                          Even if an episode doesn't show the car, you'll get an hour of reto 707s and pretty women...and a decent story. There are worse ways to kill an hour.
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

To me, the Lark appeared to be a six cylinder model (unless it was modified) - no "V8" on the trunk lid.
                            It also did not appear to have Twin Traction. One narrow tread tire broke traction on take off.
                            Some of you may have the means to review this and stop the action or at least view it on a giant screen in HD to learn more.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Just watched the opening scene of week 2 episode again and it looks like 2 cars were used. The first car has a red & white steering wheel when the pilot is alone driving out of the tunnel. The other scene in the country with the stewardess has a car with all red steering wheel. Also noticed the second car has amber parking lights, not clear & wheel covers have chrome centers with the S painted Red. Didn't see any emblems on the trunk lid during the peel out scene, also can't see if there is a right side black streak on the pavement because of the smoke. When the car is started & idles & stewardess revs it, the sound is like a V8.
                              sigpicAl Reed
                              North Bay Area, CA
                              1961 Lark Regal Skytop
                              1953 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
                              X