PDA

View Full Version : 60 Lark - project update and pics

michelle
10-02-2011, 06:51 AM
Hey there! I just want to say THANKS so much for all of your help and expertise here on the forum!!! You guys have been so helpful every time we've had questions on our project and the wealth of knowledge in past posts has kept me busy reading in the early morning hours before it's light enough to get out there and work on the car. (my family thinks I'm nuts, getting up at 4 every day to read all this stuff, hee hee!)

We bought the 60 Lark about two months ago and after LOTS of hours of sanding, grinding, welding, fixing .... we're finally laying on some paint! YEAH!!! :D I know you asked for pics, so here goes nothin'....

Here's the before:
http://jcarlsonwoodworking.com/photoshare/_Before.jpg

Here's the update:
http://jcarlsonwoodworking.com/photoshare/_redPaint.jpg
http://jcarlsonwoodworking.com/photoshare/_door.jpg
http://jcarlsonwoodworking.com/photoshare/_fender.jpg
http://jcarlsonwoodworking.com/photoshare/_grille.jpg

This is our first time ever owning a vintage car and WOW - it's been so much fun!!!! Actually, a lot of firsts .... first time welding, painting a car, body work ..... the learning has been really exciting, especially having the people on this forum as a resource. I know when we get stuck, we can come here, so thanks again!

Hope you like the pics ... we'll be putting on the white here in the next couple of days (fingers crossed).

Michelle

ColsCommander
10-02-2011, 07:03 AM
As an owner of a Lark similar to this one, I LOVE IT!

Don't be shy, give us the details! Particularly the paint. What'd you use, how'd you do it, all that good stuff. What motor are you planning to put in?

Looking very nice, the two tone should come out great.

jimmijim8
10-02-2011, 07:12 AM
I love it when a plan comes together cheers jimmijim

Don't be shy, give us the details! Particularly the paint. What'd you use, how'd you do it, all that good stuff. What motor are you planning to put in?

michelle
10-02-2011, 07:18 AM

WOO HOO! Thanks! The paint guy recommended Nason Ful-Thane 2K Urethane. It went on soooooo nice and it's got a lot of gloss and depth. The colors are cherry red and snow white and I think it's really going to pop when we get the white on. :)

The car has the original 259 engine in it. The wiring was shot when we got it and we have a new harness on its way. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will start when we get everything connected. My dad and husband are teaching me how to work on it and I'm totally into being a "grease girl" so that's been really fun!!!! :D

Hmmmm, let's see, what other details are there... the car had some small areas of cancer on the fenders (from what I've read on here, that's pretty standard). My husband was able to take some sheet steel and form it exactly like the old part, cut out the cancer and welded it back in. After he was done, you couldn't even tell there was a new piece added in! I think he has this stuff in his blood, because he did an amazing job on the body work. The floor pans were great, only a little surface rust, so that was good.

It's been really great getting to know everyone here on the forum and becoming a member of SDC! Once we get the car up and running, it will be my daily driver. I love the thought of cruising around in something that has some real soul to it, cuz they really DON'T make 'em like they used to. :)

1962larksedan
10-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Michelle:

You don't mess around: that's a heck of a lot of work done in just two months! Lookin' good.

michelle
10-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Michelle:

You don't mess around: that's a heck of a lot of work done in just two months! Lookin' good.
Thanks! :) We're on a mission to get it done and running by Thanksgiving when all the family is here so we can take it for a spin. Kind of a lofty goal, but we're keeping our fingers crossed. I found a super nice guy with an upholstery shop here in town that will totally re-do the front and back seats for me and I think the price is good. He estimated $750 for the job ... do you know if that's a good price? That's probably the next thing we'll tackle.

avanti76
10-02-2011, 11:31 AM
You come a long way! I can't wait to see more, great work, and good luck!

raprice
10-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Michelle,
Boy, you accomplished a lot so far. My car is a '59 Lark Hardtop. It's a good looking car and you will thouroughly enjoy driving your car. Keep up the good work. I really like the color.
Rog

JDP
10-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks! :) We're on a mission to get it done and running by Thanksgiving when all the family is here so we can take it for a spin. Kind of a lofty goal, but we're keeping our fingers crossed. I found a super nice guy with an upholstery shop here in town that will totally re-do the front and back seats for me and I think the price is good. He estimated $750 for the job ... do you know if that's a good price? That's probably the next thing we'll tackle.

I can provide the covers for less than half that, but if you can't install them yourself, you would not save much. Maybe do pleated white vinyl inserts with bright red trim. Something like these, but picture white pleats with the red trim. $340 to your door.

mmagic
10-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Memories of my 2nd Stude, a '62 2 door hard top, that I wish I had back. Only regret on that one, "previously owned by an old maid school teacher..." was that it was a weak 6 that needed a re-build way too soon.

Lark8girl
10-02-2011, 02:01 PM
It is great to learn of your restoration. Am very happy to know of another Female owner of a 1960 Lark! Please keep sending pics of your car.

Lark VIII girl

michelle
10-02-2011, 05:43 PM

I can provide the covers for less than half that, but if you can't install them yourself, you would not save much. Maybe do pleated white vinyl inserts with bright red trim. Something like these, but picture white pleats with the red trim. $340 to your door.

Thanks JDP! :) The seats need to be completely overhauled though (a few broken springs, new padding, etc). Jim (my hubby) and I weren't too sure we could do that part and make it look right ourselves without any practice. The guy here in town is going to totally re-do them for around $750. Wish you were here closer... I've read some nice comments about your work!!

Michelle

michelle
10-02-2011, 08:31 PM
It is great to learn of your restoration. Am very happy to know of another Female owner of a 1960 Lark! Please keep sending pics of your car.

Lark VIII girl

WOW, I really like your car! Looks like lots of fun! :) Nice to see another girl ... thanks for sharing your pic.

Milaca
10-02-2011, 10:28 PM
I admire your ambition and enthusiasm, keep up the good work!

1962larksedan
10-02-2011, 10:35 PM
WOW, I really like your car! Looks like lots of fun! :) Nice to see another girl ... thanks for sharing your pic.

Actually; there are several women in this site with one (or more) Stude(s). Anne Goodman and Alyssa come to mind. :)

JDP
10-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Thanks JDP! :) The seats need to be completely overhauled though (a few broken springs, new padding, etc). Jim (my hubby) and I weren't too sure we could do that part and make it look right ourselves without any practice. The guy here in town is going to totally re-do them for around $750. Wish you were here closer... I've read some nice comments about your work!!

Michelle

Thanks, based on the condition of your seats, you are making the correct choice, and $750 is more than fair.

michelle
10-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Thanks, based on the condition of your seats, you are making the correct choice, and $750 is more than fair.
That's good to know JDP. Thanks so much! :) Having never done this before, I don't have a frame of reference to gauge price quotes by. We're enjoying it so much though that I bet it won't be long before I have more frames of reference than I'll ever need! Hee hee! I'm already daydreaming about the next project. Good that I have a husband who's just as nuts for this as I am. :)

alyssa719
10-03-2011, 07:48 AM
It's so amazing that you were able to get that much work done in 2 months!!! :) I think it's beautiful, and if you do the white pleated seats with the red trim, that would be amazing!!

Seeing someone (okay, seeing another girl) do something like this really cheers me up and gives me some hope that my "little" stude (Bettie) will be back on the road, and maybe before the 4-5 years that we have given as a timeline!!

michelle
10-03-2011, 07:45 PM
It's so amazing that you were able to get that much work done in 2 months!!! :) I think it's beautiful, and if you do the white pleated seats with the red trim, that would be amazing!!

Seeing someone (okay, seeing another girl) do something like this really cheers me up and gives me some hope that my "little" stude (Bettie) will be back on the road, and maybe before the 4-5 years that we have given as a timeline!!

Thanks Alyssa! We haven't totally settled on the seat design yet, but we're thinking red pleats with white sides. I can't wait to see it all come together! What kind of car is Bettie?

michelle
10-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Ok, I'm still finding my way around, so please let me know if the updates should be part of this thread, or if I should start a new one. :)

We got to know all of the ins and outs of installing a headliner and doors this weekend..... boy was that tough!!! All in all, it went good for our first time. Here's the progress so far... (sorry for the bad pics... we spilled a pint of paint on the camera, it's hobbling along just barely)
http://www.jcarlsonwoodworking.com/photoshare/_headliner-dash.jpg
http://www.jcarlsonwoodworking.com/photoshare/_headliner.jpg
http://www.jcarlsonwoodworking.com/photoshare/_interior.jpg
http://www.jcarlsonwoodworking.com/photoshare/_side.jpg

Enjoy!!

Michelle

laughinlark
10-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Michelle,
WOW, That is looking great. Don't forget the windshield. Don't want bugs in your teeth when you're smiling and driving!
I like it when people add to their existing posts. Its easier to follow progress that way. Just my opinion.

Gordon S

michelle
10-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Michelle,
WOW, That is looking great. Don't forget the windshield. Don't want bugs in your teeth when you're smiling and driving!
I like it when people add to their existing posts. Its easier to follow progress that way. Just my opinion.

Gordon S
Hee hee hee! Yep, that's the next big thing we're going to tackle. Do you know if the rubber gets any glue where it meets the body of the car?

BobGlasscock
10-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Beautiful work! That car will NEVER sit quietly in a parking lot. Or street. :)

alyssa719
10-10-2011, 08:05 AM
Thanks Alyssa! We haven't totally settled on the seat design yet, but we're thinking red pleats with white sides. I can't wait to see it all come together! What kind of car is Bettie?

She's a 1952, 4 door Champion. :)