PDA

View Full Version : POP QUIZ: Two current Turning Wheels

BobPalma
09-30-2011, 10:02 AM
Time for another Pop Quiz. Winner receives two NOS uncirculated Studebaker Corporation Red Ball letterhead envelopes. The first specifically-correct post wins. (Previous Red Ball envelope winners, kindly give others a 24-hour head start before posting.)

Question: What feature do the September and October 2011 issues of Turning Wheels have in common other than "the usual stuff?" There is something unique about these issues being back-to-back, sharing an unusual commonality.

The answer must be specific.

Here's a clue: It involves the number 5,371. If your answer cannot be squared with that number, your answer is either wrong or, more likely, just incomplete and needs more "specificity."

Happy hunting! (Once you "see" it, it is surprisingly obvious.) BP

candbstudebakers
09-30-2011, 10:46 AM
BP not fair for people that have not received the Oct. TW yet..........BP

BobPalma
09-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Well, OK, Bob; mine arrived early this week and I can't think of any group who gets it after we do out of the west central Indianapolis area! I guess I just learned of one.

Maybe yours will arrive before anybody posts the right answer, Bob. BP

Anne F. Goodman
09-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Still waiting for mine too

8E45E
09-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Me too! We won't see ours for at least another two weeks!

Craig

mbstude
09-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Mine hasn't arrived yet either.

BobPalma
09-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Sorry, folks; I didn't realize so many of them were yet to be received. Let's let this Pop Quiz run anyway, since it is already posted.

In the future, I'll be mindful of such delivery times. (Besides, "it ain't over 'til it's over" in that no one has yet posted the correct answer!) BP

studegary
09-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Time for another Pop Quiz. Winner receives two NOS uncirculated Studebaker Corporation Red Ball letterhead envelopes. The first specifically-correct post wins. (Previous Red Ball envelope winners, kindly give others a 24-hour head start before posting.)

Question: What feature do the September and October 2011 issues of Turning Wheels have in common other than "the usual stuff?" There is something unique about these issues being back-to-back, sharing an unusual commonality.

The answer must be specific.

Here's a clue: It involves the number 5,371. If your answer cannot be squared with that number, your answer is either wrong or, more likely, just incomplete and needs more "specificity."

Happy hunting! (Once you "see" it, it is surprisingly obvious.) BP

My answer/guess is 1959 Silver Hawk 8s, since there were 5371 built.

BobPalma
09-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Agreed, Gary; Studebaker built 5,371 1959 Silver Hawk V8s, but that's not the answer to the Pop Quiz.

But you've provided the members with only the September 2011 Turning Wheels a good shot at winning the Pop Quiz even though they haven't seen the October Turning Wheels. (I.e., they can now look at their September copies and take a WAG at the Pop Quiz and maybe get it right!)

On their behalf, thank you.<GGG> BP

Orestudeguy
09-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Mine showed up yesterday, another great issue!

studegary
09-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Agreed, Gary; Studebaker built 5,371 1959 Silver Hawk V8s, but that's not the answer to the Pop Quiz.

But you've provided the members with only the September 2011 Turning Wheels a good shot at winning the Pop Quiz even though they haven't seen the October Turning Wheels. (I.e., they can now look at their September copies and take a WAG at the Pop Quiz and maybe get it right!)

On their behalf, thank you.<GGG> BP

Other than they were "born" as 1959 Silver Hawk 8s, they are both modified cars now, so I do not see what you are driving at.

StudeMann
09-30-2011, 03:05 PM
This isn't a fair contest since I haven't even received my September TW yet!:confused:

dnevin
09-30-2011, 07:45 PM
There are 59 Silver Hawks on the cover of each?

BobPalma
09-30-2011, 09:12 PM
There are 59 Silver Hawks on the cover of each?

BINGO! You're right, Dave: The correct answer to the quiz is: There is a 1959 Silver Hawk on two sequential front covers of Turning Wheels; September and October 2011.

Your question mark indicates you are yet to receive your October issue and so you took a guess based on the above information; correct? If so, "no problem," there's no rule against guessing.

Is your address still on SE Thompson in Corvallis, per the current SDC Roster? If you'll confirm; I'll send a couple envelopes. BP

dnevin
09-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Cool! Thanks Bob.

I did receive my October TW yesterday, but I took it to work with me to read at lunch and left it on my desk. Who can forget that beautiful cover!

That is my correct address. And thanks again--this is a really cool thing you do.

studegary
10-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Bob P. - My answer of 1959 Silver Hawk 8s (plural) seems to me to be a better answer than the one that you accepted. Later, I went on to post that they are both modified 1959 Silver Hawk 8s. To just say that they are 1959 Silver Hawks does not jive with your criterion of 5371, since there were 7788 1959 Silver Hawks of which 5371 were 8s.

BobPalma
10-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Bob P. - My answer of 1959 Silver Hawk 8s (plural) seems to me to be a better answer than the one that you accepted. Later, I went on to post that they are both modified 1959 Silver Hawk 8s. To just say that they are 1959 Silver Hawks does not jive with your criterion of 5371, since there were 7788 1959 Silver Hawks of which 5371 were 8s.

Not really, Gary.

The question was, "What do the two issues have in common?"

1959 Silver Hawk V8s on the cover is the correct answer.

If the question had been, "What is significant about the number 5,371 in Studebaker history?," then the correct answer would have been, "That is the number of 1959 Silver Hawk V8s manufactured."

But that wasn't the question, so you had the correct answer to a question that wasn't asked! BP

studegary
10-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Not really, Gary.

The question was, "What do the two issues have in common?"

1959 Silver Hawk V8s on the cover is the correct answer.

If the question had been, "What is significant about the number 5,371 in Studebaker history?," then the correct answer would have been, "That is the number of 1959 Silver Hawk V8s manufactured."

But that wasn't the question, so you had the correct answer to a question that wasn't asked! BP

Please re-read my answer in post no. 8. To me, it is clear that I mean two different 1959 Silver Hawk 8s apeared on the two covers. I only go on to make the tie-in that you want to the number 5371. My post no. 11 goes on to refer to them as "they" (more than one), more than one time and again used the plural of 1959 Silver Hawk 8s. I do not believe that an answer of 1959 Silver Hawks is correct because that does not jive with your requirement to tie-in the number 5371 (not the number of 1959 Silver Hawks, but the number of 1959 Silver Hawk 8s).

dnevin
10-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Gary-- If Bob P. doesn't mind, I'll split the prize with you: when I receive it, I'll send you one of the envelopes. Just PM me your mailing address and I'll send one your way.

studegary
10-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Gary-- If Bob P. doesn't mind, I'll split the prize with you: when I receive it, I'll send you one of the envelopes. Just PM me your mailing address and I'll send one your way.

Dave - Thanks for the offer, but I do not even want the envelopes and I am certainly not trying to do you out of them. It is just the principle or perhaps the failure of communication that has me bothered.

avantilover
10-01-2011, 08:34 PM
I look forward to receiving October's issue around the 16th of the month. I take it that it's a good one?

BobPalma
10-01-2011, 09:21 PM
I look forward to receiving October's issue around the 16th of the month. I take it that it's a good one?

2011 International Meet Issue with a full report on the doins' at Springfield this summer, John. BP

Dads Baby
10-02-2011, 09:21 PM
I was going to go with the Conestoga Chapter being represented at least 3 times! 2 inside covers and then a picture of JoDee Studebaker dancing with her hubby! :cool:

dnevin
10-06-2011, 07:37 PM
I received my envelopes today. Those are really cool! Totally not what I expected.

Thanks BP! They'll be treasured--maybe a start of a Studebaker memorabilia collection? I'm even going to take one to work with me tomorrow. It'll be like show and tell all over again.

BobPalma
10-06-2011, 09:49 PM
You're welcome, Dave.

'Always good to have a few "smalls" around the house when you're stuck inside and can't get out to the garage/shop. BP