Got new wire harness. Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got new wire harness. Now what?

Ordered new chassis, tail, and overdrive harnesses from Studebakers West for my '48 Champion. Received them. Wires are not identified and no instructions included. I know wiring diagrams are available. Which ones provide the wire color?
    Advice on installation?

Thanks,
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

I just bought a 1956J wiring harness from Stude west and they sent me a copy of wiring diagram and my wires were color correct.

I had also taken my repair manual and had Kinko's enlarge the wiring diagram, all wiring was enlagred to 30"X24" and cost a total of $9.50

Kinko's service if you have a manual is a great service!

If not call Studebaker International, they have wiring diagrams for 3.50 each listed in their catalog

Last time I do this,I promise
    It is an addiction!

Comment

I just bought a 1956J wiring harness from Stude west and they sent me a copy of wiring diagram and my wires were color correct.

I had also taken my repair manual and had Kinko's enlarge the wiring diagram, all wiring was enlagred to 30"X24" and cost a total of $9.50

Kinko's service if you have a manual is a great service!

If not call Studebaker International, they have wiring diagrams for 3.50 each listed in their catalog

Last time I do this,I promise
      It is an addiction!

Comment

Chuck Collins also has wiring diagrams online. Here's the link:

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Chuck Collins also has wiring diagrams online. Here's the link:

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
          '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

If the old harness is still attached to the dash, make a diagram of the back of the cluster, and number each wire (1, 2, 3, . . ). Then attach little pieces of masking tape to each wire with the same numbers on them. After disconnecting the old harness, lay the two harnesses on the ground and match up each wire on the new with its twin on the old, and put numbered tags on the new harness. Even though the color may be gone and much of the insulation missing, too, you can usually identify each wire by its gauge or where it goes in the harness.

This also helps in making the routing of each wire as clean as possible, avoiding much of the rat's nest appearance that is so common on new wiring.

Skip Lackie
            Washington DC
            Skip Lackie

Comment

If the old harness is still attached to the dash, make a diagram of the back of the cluster, and number each wire (1, 2, 3, . . ). Then attach little pieces of masking tape to each wire with the same numbers on them. After disconnecting the old harness, lay the two harnesses on the ground and match up each wire on the new with its twin on the old, and put numbered tags on the new harness. Even though the color may be gone and much of the insulation missing, too, you can usually identify each wire by its gauge or where it goes in the harness.

This also helps in making the routing of each wire as clean as possible, avoiding much of the rat's nest appearance that is so common on new wiring.

Skip Lackie
              Washington DC
              Skip Lackie

Comment

You might also think about picking up new grommets for the wiring where it passes through the firewall, etc. Also a good time to clean and detail areas under wiring like the engine compartment. If any of your circuit breakers, switches, sending units, etc. are questionable, now is a good time to replace them as well. Make sure all your grounds are clean and tight.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

You might also think about picking up new grommets for the wiring where it passes through the firewall, etc. Also a good time to clean and detail areas under wiring like the engine compartment. If any of your circuit breakers, switches, sending units, etc. are questionable, now is a good time to replace them as well. Make sure all your grounds are clean and tight.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Spent a half day I.D.-ing the chassis wire harness. (Previous owner had removed original harness
                    One wire I'm not sure about: Spliced to the same ring-terminal as the 10ga red wire that goes to the starter solenoid is a black wire. If I read the wiring diagram correctly, this should also be 10ga. But it is only--maybe 14ga. Is this correct[?] And where does it go[?] (The other end.) Did Studebakers West make a mistake?

KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Comment

Spent a half day I.D.-ing the chassis wire harness. (Previous owner had removed original harness
                      One wire I'm not sure about: Spliced to the same ring-terminal as the 10ga red wire that goes to the starter solenoid is a black wire. If I read the wiring diagram correctly, this should also be 10ga. But it is only--maybe 14ga. Is this correct[?] And where does it go[?] (The other end.) Did Studebakers West make a mistake?

KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Comment

quote: Did Studebakers West make a mistake?

KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)
                        I doubt it. For example on 56J's Studebaker made a change in the wiring by combining two harnesses into one. I went crazy for week until Rhode Island Wiring figured out why I had no wires going to a terminal strip. I still have one wire that goes nowhere. There is a very good chance that your harness is correct, and that you might have to check to see if there was a service bulletin about a wiring change.

WHile not prototypically correct, I suggest you go to a Graingers or some supply house and buy one of those 3M wire tape number gizmos. You peel off a strip of numbers and then you assign a number to each wire, 1 to 1 43 to 43 etc. If you look really carefully on the back of all the switches on the Bakilite backing or on the casing they marked each terminal with strange letters P I TK N O write down which number wire goes to which letter. You will find the letters in the diagram in the 48 Service Manual.

Have fun, see you in 6 weeks when you come out from under the dash

BG

Comment

quote: Did Studebakers West make a mistake?

KURTRUK
                          (read it backwards)
                          I doubt it. For example on 56J's Studebaker made a change in the wiring by combining two harnesses into one. I went crazy for week until Rhode Island Wiring figured out why I had no wires going to a terminal strip. I still have one wire that goes nowhere. There is a very good chance that your harness is correct, and that you might have to check to see if there was a service bulletin about a wiring change.

WHile not prototypically correct, I suggest you go to a Graingers or some supply house and buy one of those 3M wire tape number gizmos. You peel off a strip of numbers and then you assign a number to each wire, 1 to 1 43 to 43 etc. If you look really carefully on the back of all the switches on the Bakilite backing or on the casing they marked each terminal with strange letters P I TK N O write down which number wire goes to which letter. You will find the letters in the diagram in the 48 Service Manual.

Have fun, see you in 6 weeks when you come out from under the dash

BG

Comment

Bondo Billy,
                            I have already tagged each wire as to where it goes.
                            And my dashboard was removed to have it woodgrained. Now I just have to drive 2 1/2 hours (one way) to pick it up. Wouldn't dare ship it[V]

KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)
                            KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Comment

Bondo Billy,
                              I have already tagged each wire as to where it goes.
                              And my dashboard was removed to have it woodgrained. Now I just have to drive 2 1/2 hours (one way) to pick it up. Wouldn't dare ship it[V]

KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)
                              KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

Comment

Working...
                              X