seat belt laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seat belt laws

Does anyone know what the seat belt laws are for a 1958 that wasn't equipped with them from the factory in Indiana and if you drive to other states and also would it a hole drilled in the floor be strong enough to do any good and would it devalue the car. It is a Golden Hawk.

Usually if the car was not originally equipped with them, then it is exempt from state and local seat belt laws. However, in the interest of safety I would put in seat belts. You have to reinforce the top and bottom of the body floor mounting holes. There are specific rectangle reinforcements made for this purpose. I do not believe that the modification would devalue a car. All judging manuals consider seat belts to be a safety item and do not deduct any points.
    John
    1963 Avanti R2
    Marshall, VA

Comment

Hi John, my name is Anthony, aka Blu Stu. I have a 1950 Champion, blue-colored of course, that for reasons understood didn't come with seat belts. Do you know of any outfitter who supplies seat belts with the rectangular reinforements you speak of? I've got a 7-year old, I need to worry about when we go cruising. Please let me know, thanks.

Comment

Good points there.

My 1962 Lark never had seatbelts; but, I plan to install 3 point lap/shoulder ones at least up front and possibly for the rear seat as well once the car is otherwise roadworthy (engine installed, disc brakes, etc.)
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by Blu Stu View Post
          Hi John, my name is Anthony, aka Blu Stu. I have a 1950 Champion, blue-colored of course, that for reasons understood didn't come with seat belts. Do you know of any outfitter who supplies seat belts with the rectangular reinforements you speak of? I've got a 7-year old, I need to worry about when we go cruising. Please let me know, thanks.
          Try www.julianos.com/

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Studebaker International also sells seat belts, they are a kit, with a VERY large washer (about 3") that goes under the floor. Of course, your floor needs to be solid too!

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

The lap belts I bought from SI have eye bolts that goes thru the floor it looks much neater than the bolt and they have Studebaker wrote on them.

Comment

In California if the car did not have seatbelts you are not required to install them. If you do install seatbelts you have to use them. Atleast thats my understanding.

Comment

I know in 1963 the anchor plugs were installed on all Studebakers so adding belts is simple. Don't know if earlier models had them.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

1962 was the first year to have reinforced anchors but no seat belts. I bought a new 62 and the lap belts bolted right in.

Dick
                    Mountain Home, AR
                    http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

Originally posted by 50starlite View Post
                      1962 was the first year to have reinforced anchors but no seat belts. I bought a new 62 and the lap belts bolted right in.
                      Those rubber plugs: are they the ones that point downward? My 1962 Lark sedan has no belts but has what appear to be some reinforced threaded anchors in the floor but with no metal bolts passing through.

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
                        Those rubber plugs: are they the ones that point downward? My 1962 Lark sedan has no belts but has what appear to be some reinforced threaded anchors in the floor but with no metal bolts passing through.
                        Yes. The bolt anchors were installed in all cars several years before seat belts became mandatory. Sugggest that you run a proper-sized tap through them before trying to install seat belt bolts. Those rubber plugs don't seal all that well, and the floor anchor threads will be a bit rusty.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                          Yes. The bolt anchors were installed in all cars several years before seat belts became mandatory. Sugggest that you run a proper-sized tap through them before trying to install seat belt bolts. Those rubber plugs don't seal all that well, and the floor anchor threads will be a bit rusty.
                          Agreed. Despite my car being a native Arizona car, a fine thread tap would be wise.

(and my being a DC native, I understand rust all too well )

Comment

I just did this on my 64 convertible, it originally had seat belts in the front but the rears had the rubber plugs. It takes a 7/16 fine thread tap. I ran it thru them all before putting in the eye bolts. I was really surprised how little rust there was on the rear ones where the rubber plugs had been. I guess you could say the rubber plugs did a great job for 45 years. I got the belts from SI as they match the style for 64 and all eight bolted in nicely.
                            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                            1961 Hawk 4-speed
                            1967 Avanti
                            1961 Lark 2 door
                            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

When drilling holes in a floorpan, drill from the underside up, not the inside down.
                              You can see things like brake lines on the underside, to not drill through them.
                              You can not if you drill from inside the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X