Idysd 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idysd 2012

I posted this on the IDYSD Forum but thought it might get noticed faster here. Has the date been set yet for IDYSD 2012?

We are putting together our club calendar and would like to include the date.
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Jon,
    PM sent.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Hi Chris. Please PM me with the date for IDYSD 2012. Also, if it is "set in concrete", please publish the date. Thanks.
      Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
      '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
      '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Who determines this? And it must be set for 2012 already.
        I hope it isn't Aug. 4th. That would be a waste!
        Good Roads
        Brian
        Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca
        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
          >>>I hope it isn't Aug. 4th. That would be a waste!
          <<<Brian
          How so

Comment

Well I'd think your safe for Aug 4th because thats the last day of the International meet.....but then again there will probably be a few of us driving our Studebakers home that day ....the rest may be in trailers <g>
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

(cross-posting from the IDYSD Forum)

IF ...I heard correctly;

The 2012 should be expected to eclipse the total number of Studebakers driven in all previous IDYSD combined!!! It will be on a day when the most SDC Member Studebakers are typically driven and a day when the SDC would receive the most FREE media exposure ...Thursday, August 2, 2012 or Saturday, August 4, 2012!!!

Now if those dates do not ring a bell with you, here are a few hints:

SDC (South Bend) International Meet and 50th Anniversary of the Studebaker Drivers Club during which; there is a several mile long "Grande Parade of Studebakers" from the Fair Grounds to downtown South Bend on Thursday, August 2Caravan to the Studebaker Proving Grounds" on Saturday, August 4.

In South Bend anyway, media coverage of those TWO events is usually by local affiliates of FOX, CBS & NBC. IF ...IDYSD is news worthy enough (like it also being a world-wide "EVENT"), hopefully their feeds will be picked up nationally, perhaps internationally!!!

The New Zealanders could kick-off "IDYSD 2012IDYSD 2012

Comment

You need to remember that those dates are the middle of winter down under !
                sigpic

Comment

Just make every day International Drive Your Studebaker Days like Harry Barnes intended. He is really the one that started it. Just a thought.
                  sigpic

J&JW Machine Co.
                  Bubbaland South
                  Resident Machinist

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                    You need to remember that those dates are the middle of winter down under !

"Australia doesn't get the harsh snaps of polar air that swarm over northern hemisphere continents during winter. The continents in the Northern hemisphere have a considerable temperature contrast between summer and winter, whereas in most of Australia the temperature contrast between summer and winter isn't very great."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Australia

Comment

The early September date seemed to work really well for everyone around the globe.

My opinion with putting IDYSD in the middle of the International meet, is that it sounds like an "easy way out" to tag off of an already pre-scheduled SDC event. Let the two be separate. It also prevents Meet attendees from being able to participate in a local IDYSD. I don't think the intention of this event (at least in my opinion) is to get X number of Studes on the road, but more about promoting the marque and having a good time doing so.

I talked to President Tom Curtis about this just a couple of weeks ago. Nothing has been officially decided upon yet. It'd be nice if dates weren't tossed out prior to being decided on and approved.

The first IDYSD was in July, which was bad weather (too hot, too cold) for everyone around the world. The next two were in early September, and it worked. Like Art Unger has said. Consistency is a good thing.
                      Last edited by mbstude; 09-30-2011, 08:48 AM.

Comment

I agree Matt , seems like a cop out having it at an International meet.
                        sigpic

Comment

Appears some are not considering ALL the possibilities! Still thinking IDYSD must always be a "stand-alone event" without giving thought of the enormous benefit to the Studebaker Drivers Club and the Studebaker hobby in general if it were for 2012 (ONLY) combined with other historic events!!!

So just think about this for a minute:

On Saturday, August 4, 2012Studebaker" events all happening on that very same day!!!

1.) The IDYSD, a coordinated driving event of Studebakers around the globe 2.) Perhaps the largest of ALL SDC International Meets is underway in South Bend, the "Home of Studebaker," 3.) 4.) Caravaning of a 100 or more Studebakers to the former Studebaker Proving Grounds and onto the high-banked oval track SDC could never ever expect to have a greater "opportunity" for absolutely FREE mass media exposure!!!

SDC could NOT BUY that kind of "mass media exposure" they could GET FREE on Saturday, August 4, 2012all our membership dues went to fund an equivalent type publicity endeavor! (OUCH!!!)

Comment

Jim, I didn't realize you were heading up the event and making the decisions this year. Promoting something that isn't official just creates headaches.

If this is about "free media", then I think the news stations will have more than enough to cover as it is, with the meet and associated events that already go along with it. Adding another event on top of it all just adds clutter, confusion, and chaos.

Piling on "drive your Studebaker day" won't add anything to the experience of the meet itself, and it takes away any chance of a local chapter having their own event.

I'd vote to leave it as it has been in early September, and promote it for what it is. I would hate to see a pretty cool event lose its prominence because it was combined with something else because of "free media".

Comment

I agree with Matt. I sent Tom Curtis an email a few weeks ago suggetsing either the first or second Saturday in September.
                              Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                              '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                              '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                              '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Working...
                              X