Engine ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Engine ID

Need help Identifying my engine size. According to the vin-64V7938 it's a 259. The guy I bought it from says it's a 289. Stamped on the block is a 2 over 1554641. and on the right side it says PJ323. I don't want to order parts for the wrong engine.

Sounds like it's a 1963 289 built on September 23, used in a Lark or Hawk. Look at the bottom of this page:

Comment

Engine ID

Thanks a million

Comment

Originally posted by whacker View Post
        Sounds like it's a 1963 289 built on September 23, used in a Lark or Hawk. Look at the bottom of this page:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp
        It is NOT "a 1963" model engine. It is a 1964 model 289 built during calendar year 1963 (after the change over to 1964 models).

djfcruiser - The "64V7938" Serial Number tells you that it is a V8 and not a six. It does not identify which, of several, V8s. By the S/N and your handle, I assume that your car is a 1964 Cruiser. 1964 Cruisers came standard with a 289 V8.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by djfcruiser View Post
          Need help Identifying my engine size./Cut/Stamped on the block is a 2 over 1554641. and on the right side it says PJ323. I don't want to order parts for the wrong engine.
          A closer look will show that the casting number on the passenger side is cast in the block, as in RAISED not stamped, so in each series of block casting changes (very few) it never changed.

Welcome to the world of the newest Stude. powered cars, '64's. Along with '63's, they are the most driveable, dependable and daily driven Studebaker cars on the road! Also having the most modern style & updates of any other Studebaker except Avanti.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            [B][COLOR=blue]

Welcome to the world of the newest Stude. powered cars, '64's. Along with '63's, they are the most driveable, dependable and daily driven Studebaker cars on the road! Also having the most modern style & updates of any other Studebaker except Avanti.
            Rich, what makes a '63 or '64 more "drivable and dependable" than any other Stude?

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
              Rich, what makes a '63 or '64 more "drivable and dependable" than any other Stude?
              Parallel-action windshield wipers aid wet-weather visibility, Matthew, and alternator charging systems are generally better than generator systems. Full-flow engines all year might be cited, as well as disc brakes being available. Interior vinyls were vastly improved for 1963.

Of course, if you read some of the 1963 literature, you know the '63s featured military-spec aluminized rust proofing! As we know, that thankfully solved Studebaker's notorious rust problems once and for all.

I think. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Along with '63's, they are the most driveable, dependable and daily driven Studebaker cars on the road! Also having the most modern style & updates of any other Studebaker except Avanti.
                Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Parallel-action windshield wipers aid wet-weather visibility, Matthew, and alternator charging systems are generally better than generator systems. Full-flow engines all year might be cited, as well as disc brakes being available. Interior vinyls were vastly improved for 1963. Of course, if you read some of the 1963 literature, you know the '63s featured military-spec aluminized rust proofing! As we know, that thankfully solved Studebaker's notorious rust problems once and for all. I think. BP
                All good points, but keep the following facts in mind~
                Dad's current daily driver is my brother Mike's '65 Cruiser with overdrive...
                and another '65 Cruiser is driven daily here in Ferndale, too- my own Sweet Pea~

odd thing 'bout that, eh?
                Last edited by StudeDave57; 09-30-2011, 07:19 PM. Reason: added smileys for FULL effect
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I could go on for PAGES extolling the virtures of '64's, Matt.

I will however just mention a few that Bob missed.

Modern rocker control switches

Red Instrument Lighting

AM/FM Radio Option

Step-on parking Brake

Full 360 visibility that even Avantis do not have.

Improved (over '63's) glove boxes

Wagonaire body type available

Improved door weatherstrips

Improved rain guttering on forward edge of door windows

Long life lubrication

aluminized muffler and tailpipe

Fresh air defrosting system (began on Larks in '61), continued

Four Avanti Powered Engine options

4 Speed Trans option (available since '62 on some Lark Types)

Option for rear stabilizer and traction bars

Self adjusting Brakes

Standard Glove Box light, Cigar lighter and Back-up Lights on upper level models

And I do admit that many of these improvements were carried on to '65's & '66's making them good cars also, but they do not fit my original post criteria of "Stude. Powered"!

Also, there are too few of them produced and remaining to have an impact on my "most often driven" requirement.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 09-30-2011, 10:52 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                  X