So I get the news about my SN60 today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I get the news about my SN60 today

I have been starting to wonder about my blower as it was getting on about a month since I sent it in. So I get the information today that it was finished and being sent out. Now this blower has supposedly never been touched in its life. It still had the cable and tags that Paxton put on the their blowers. So it was pulled apart and apparently Paxton had modified this blower inside with different races, bearings, and shafts than what one would normally find in an SN60.
    I had sent my blower to T-bow by the way, and he said this was the worst blower he's ever seen. From what I was told, the internals were a disaster with the parts that Paxton(of which I assume is Paxton) used to modify the internals. It certainly explains the lengthy rebuilding process (poor T-Bow), as it wasnt the average blower.
    A little hunting around and they were able to find the parts and pieces to rebuild the blower. From the way it was described I gotta hand it to him to be able to fix what the factory bugared up. Barring any UPS or FedEx oopsies, I should be able to receive it in about a week or so. If anything, I look at it as another "Just my luck" kinda thing. Now, on to putting Humpty Dumpty together for SB. [8D][)]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
    [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
    [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
    [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
    [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Having never owned one- yet-, I'm wondering: What does it cost to have one rebuilt?

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Having never owned one- yet-, I'm wondering: What does it cost to have one rebuilt?

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Greetings,

Can anyone including the author of the above explain in a little detail what Paxton did as regards the phrase "cable and tags that Paxton put on their blowers." My SN60 has the head of one of the assembly screws drilled as though for safety wire and then a wire inserted through this hole and secured with what appears to be a lead "button". This is very similar in appearance to what utility companies use to ensure that their meters have not been tampered with. However, in the case of my SN60 the wire doesn't go anywhere else and hasn't been cut, but I see no purpose to it as it looks as though the screw could be removed with an open end wrench without altering the wire. I've not attempted removal of this screw or any others, but while a box end or socket wouldn't work it appears as though an open end would. So..........what did this wire and lead button accomplish? Or is PB R2 referring to something else. Course, if I think it through this screw is so close to the case that turning it a sixth of a turn or so is going to position it where the only flats available for the open end wrench are those where the wire passes through thus precluding getting the two jaws on the screw flats. This then indicates that mine too has apparently never been apart......in over 40 years--and the opinion of some is that these are not durable units! All mine does is whine a LITTLE starting at about 3000 rpm.[8D][8D][8D] (That little whine and the exhaust sound of a dual exhaust Studebaker are two of my favorite features of a V8 Stude). Course I have no idea how much boost it is putting out.

wagone and '63 R2 Avanti

Comment

Greetings,

Can anyone including the author of the above explain in a little detail what Paxton did as regards the phrase "cable and tags that Paxton put on their blowers." My SN60 has the head of one of the assembly screws drilled as though for safety wire and then a wire inserted through this hole and secured with what appears to be a lead "button". This is very similar in appearance to what utility companies use to ensure that their meters have not been tampered with. However, in the case of my SN60 the wire doesn't go anywhere else and hasn't been cut, but I see no purpose to it as it looks as though the screw could be removed with an open end wrench without altering the wire. I've not attempted removal of this screw or any others, but while a box end or socket wouldn't work it appears as though an open end would. So..........what did this wire and lead button accomplish? Or is PB R2 referring to something else. Course, if I think it through this screw is so close to the case that turning it a sixth of a turn or so is going to position it where the only flats available for the open end wrench are those where the wire passes through thus precluding getting the two jaws on the screw flats. This then indicates that mine too has apparently never been apart......in over 40 years--and the opinion of some is that these are not durable units! All mine does is whine a LITTLE starting at about 3000 rpm.[8D][8D][8D] (That little whine and the exhaust sound of a dual exhaust Studebaker are two of my favorite features of a V8 Stude). Course I have no idea how much boost it is putting out.

wagone and '63 R2 Avanti

Comment

Most of the years I drove race cars, we had to drill two adjacent intake bolt heads; then, after the tracks' tech crew checked it for rules compliance, they'd run lock wire through the two bolts and seal it with lead, as with your item; no way to get into and alter the engine without breaking the seal. Next race,all tech had to do is just check your seal...

This sounds like the idea behind your item; although I don't get the one-bolt aspect.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Most of the years I drove race cars, we had to drill two adjacent intake bolt heads; then, after the tracks' tech crew checked it for rules compliance, they'd run lock wire through the two bolts and seal it with lead, as with your item; no way to get into and alter the engine without breaking the seal. Next race,all tech had to do is just check your seal...

This sounds like the idea behind your item; although I don't get the one-bolt aspect.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

red fluid and a little whine. things are ok.

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
                64 Avanti R3w/NOS
                88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
                  64 Avanti R3w/NOS
                  88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

quote: An NOS paxton has safety wire and a lead plug like you describe. It means it is new, or was new or reconditioned. I hope my PAxtons are not all messed up. They have the same tags.
                    Yeah, thats what mine had when I gave it to T-Bow. Its a little bit of wire or cable attached to the bolts. On the cable there is a little tag with the Paxton signature on the tag. As posted, if the cable or the lead was broken at the two bolts they were attached to, the warranty was void. As far as the cost, we offered I believe it was 500 for a rebuild, but he doesnt take payment until he has had a look at it. After the little "discovery" we finally ended up with 650. He has a pretty high reputation on this kinda thing, ie he stands behind his service .
                    The way he made it sound with the discovery in my blower was that it was very unusual, a one in a million unit, to put fears of everyone's blowers to rest. It was one of those things where you never(particularly factory) cobble something together and make it work. I don't know if it was that or a new engineering idea (we all know how Studebaker was with that kind of thing , but it has appeared to have had a very short life. Yeah Karl, I rather have the little whine or a nice chuff, than that gaud awful, but very subdued groan I was getting from it before, lol.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                    [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                    [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                    [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

quote: An NOS paxton has safety wire and a lead plug like you describe. It means it is new, or was new or reconditioned. I hope my PAxtons are not all messed up. They have the same tags.
                      Yeah, thats what mine had when I gave it to T-Bow. Its a little bit of wire or cable attached to the bolts. On the cable there is a little tag with the Paxton signature on the tag. As posted, if the cable or the lead was broken at the two bolts they were attached to, the warranty was void. As far as the cost, we offered I believe it was 500 for a rebuild, but he doesnt take payment until he has had a look at it. After the little "discovery" we finally ended up with 650. He has a pretty high reputation on this kinda thing, ie he stands behind his service .
                      The way he made it sound with the discovery in my blower was that it was very unusual, a one in a million unit, to put fears of everyone's blowers to rest. It was one of those things where you never(particularly factory) cobble something together and make it work. I don't know if it was that or a new engineering idea (we all know how Studebaker was with that kind of thing , but it has appeared to have had a very short life. Yeah Karl, I rather have the little whine or a nice chuff, than that gaud awful, but very subdued groan I was getting from it before, lol.

Comment

I read that as, "A little red wine and things are ok".[:I][:0]

Tom

quote:Originally posted by Karl

'63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I read that as, "A little red wine and things are ok".[:I][:0]

Tom

quote:Originally posted by Karl

'63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                          X