Bell crank to transmission rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Bell crank to transmission rod

Searched and read several archived threads on this subject.
    Recently noticed that this part is missing on my 1957 Silver Hawk , 289-FoM, with recent Edelbrock 4 Barrel
    Was able to fabricate something similar which works better than not having one.
    Need to purchase the correct item, not sure of part number:
    per StudeMichael posting ,p/n is 1539741 for 1956-57 C-K- IS THIS CORRECT P/N for my application ?
    WHERE can this part be purchased ?
    StudeRich posting mentioned p/n 1544019, for 1962 GT Hawk
    I assume there are different parts for different model years?
    Thank you
    Last edited by boomer; 09-27-2011, 03:54 PM. Reason: added question

All this stuff is pictured and identified in the chassis parts manual, with exploded drawings showing where and how everything interconnects. The parts manual has been reprinted, is not expensive, and is invaluable.

Personally, I cannot imagine working on a Studebaker without one, but maybe that's just me.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thank you, I was unaware that a chassis manual would have this part included. Will order one today !

Comment

Per my new chassis parts book ( Thank you RadioRoy !) , pgs. 71 and 118, part number I need is 1539741. Used on 56-58 B,H, L only.
        Tried S-I, Chuck, and StudesWest- no stock. Any suggestions as to source for new or used part ?
        OR, a sketch/ dimensions of part would help my fabricating this part.
        Thanks again

Comment

Dennis, if you have a 57 silver hawk that is a "C" why would you need a rod that fits only B, H, and L?? look again at the numbers, I'am guessing you need the long pressure rod to the trans? lots of times when removing an engine and trans they get bent out of shape if care is not taken, if that is what you need I might have a used one around, I have the books in the shop but don't spend much time in them....Bob
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

I checked my books today at the shop and forgot that the coupe is just a body style and the numbers are for the V-8 cars the commander and the president, the 59-63 use the same number and rod on all the v-8's with atuo trans except power shift, I think that the years they went to the longer shaft style trans, so maybe the 56-57 are different because of the shorter style trans, that trans also uses the different filler type, long shaft or later had the long tube to fill by.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

BOB- Yes- 57 H denotes 289 V-8/President. Thanks for your time looking into this.
              I have a feeling this may be one of them "unobtainium" parts.......

Comment

I don't think one should be hard to come by, I have some but need to check them out, there is one on a 57 golden hawk in my shop that I can compare with.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

BOB and all - Thanks, problem now resolved. S-I was able to locate this part for me.
                  p.s. This forum has been the greatest tool I have ever used. I can't imagine restoring or repairing
                  Studebakers before the age of the internet and forums like this !!

Comment

Working...
                  X