Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stude mystery for 25 years! Can you help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude mystery for 25 years! Can you help?

A very good Studebaker friend has had a '62 Lark (4 door Skytop) for over 30 years - since he graduated from high school. Having immersed himself in '62 literature and lore (also the year he was born) he likes the "jazzy" Lark TV and radio commercials for that model year.

He wrote down the words for the "singing" TV commercials, but for the LAST 25 YEARS we have been stumped for the words of one line in the "What's got Jazz?" spot! PLEASE HELP!!

The words in question are about 1/2 way through, between-

Loads of room in the back,
    Studebaker Lark - WHATEVER to the WHATEVER (can't quite make this out)
    What's got jazz.......etc

Please listen to the words, let us know what they should be (sounds like "pay to the jack", but this, along with anything else we've come up with, makes no sense), and let us live the rest of our Studebaker lives in peace - the mystery finally, hopefully, having been SOLVED!!!

Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

"Saves you the Jack"? I think it should be Cash! Did we call Cash, Jack in those days? Lol!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yep, I think Rich got it.
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I'd say we need MORE help, Bob!
        Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

The song is a re-write of a 1913 ragtime fox-trot called "Ballin' The Jack." It was a hit for Kid Ory and Jelly Roll Morton in the 20's, revived by Judy Garland in the 40's and Dean Martin in 1951. Other popular records were by Danny Kaye and (ready?) Annette Funicello.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEeoRaTe_64

So, it is "Jack" for sure. Thanks, tip of the hat, and RIP to Miss Mary Mullett, the entire music department of my elementary school, who had a wicked stride in more ways than one, had played vaudeville pit bands on tenor banjo, and most likely knew what both "Buffalo Squeeze" and "Portland Through a Shot Glass" meant.

Comment

Studebaker Lark "saves you the Jack" as in saves you the Jack(ing) of the car? or they are referring to cash.or it just fits because it rhymes.I honestly think tho they are trying to be hip and throw a little slang into the commercial. I have a very good speaker system here and it is clear as a bell.
            Last edited by mookandairin; 09-27-2011, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Yes, "Jack" is money! New Jack City.

It saves you the jack -- saves money, get it?
              Evolving language KMA. This right here is where "evolving language" gets you. To.

Comment

Not quite on topic. But am I the only one that really likes this non-production grille?

Comment

Originally posted by comatus View Post
                  Evolving language KMA. This right here is where "evolving language" gets you. To.
                  Ayup. Fo shizzle.
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                    Not quite on topic. But am I the only one that really likes this non-production grille?

'Prolly one of several prototypes considered, Matthew. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

fo sheezie my nizzle!

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover
                        After several listens and a check of what I wrote down, here is the entire commercial.

"Get yourself a Lark, plenty of flash, lots of style and comfort, not much cash, jazzy all around with lots of room in the back, Studebaker Lark take to the shack.
                        What's got jazz, speed and spark? Zip zoom and style from the 62 Lark.
                        Big car comfort, easy to park.
                        You're gonna have a ball in the Lark.
                        The 62 Lark."

Hope that helps, cute commerrcial.
                        When I had a few listens, I heard "..........LOADS of room in the back. Studebaker Lark, say to the Jack...." The rest may have been the questions to "Jack" or Joe Q. Public.
                        Roger, stay on the trail and let us know what your friend finally does write down. 25 years is a long time to copy the words to a short jingle.

Comment

I give up.

Comment

Comatus, it's quite the co-inkie-dink that the "Ballin' the Jack" record label on your You Tube reference was "Exner"!!

Don't give up! This thing needs "closure" (there's that word again!). It's been 25 YEARS!! AARRGHH!!
                            Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Wait a minute, I thought this was solved: "Saves you the Jack"? Is the answer right? No? Certainly makes sense.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X