• need motor size

I have a 59 lark wagon It has a v8 but not sure
    What size I was told it was a 289 not sure here
    Are the block numbers #PL3688 I would like to
    Find as munch info as I can here is also a pick
    Hope this will help

Thanks for buggmann
    Attached Files

It's a 289 from a 1956 President assembled at the Los Angeles, CA plant.

Here's the complete list. http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp
    Last edited by mbstude; 09-24-2011, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Well, that is interesting. You have a more powerful engine than you could factory order in a 59 Lark. The 289 was only available in trucks that year. All the cars including the Silver Hawk got a 259.

Comment

Not to hijack but to save a new thread for a simple answer...where are the block numbers on a stude motor?
        My truck has a transplant motor that looks just like that and I want to ID it.

Comment

In that photo you can just see block casting numbers below the oil filter. The stamped engine serial number is found at the opposite front corner, on the other side of the oil filler tube.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

If it's anything other than a 232...

Comment

Thank you for the help just not sure why you would
              Put a 56 motor in a 59 unless it way a later swap is
              their any way to find out were my lark wagon was built
              At any more info will help as always

Again thanks for the help

Comment

The Body Parts Catalog or Chassis Parts Catalog will indicate by Serial Number where it was built.
                You can also obtain the original production order from the Studebaker National Museum.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by buggmann View Post
                  Thank you for the help just not sure why you would
                  Put a 56 motor in a 59 unless it way a later swap is
                  their any way to find out were my lark wagon was built
                  At any more info will help as always

Again thanks for the help
                  Why? More horsepower! A 56 289 had 195 HP, even at the lower 7.8 standard compression, than a 59 259 at 8.8, which had 180 hp. Direct bolt in to the existing transmission, both a 259 and 289 are same block with different crank/longer stroke in a 289 but otherwise about the same, both engines 12 Volts etc.
                  It was either built in South Bend IN or Hamilton ON. If it was built in the US, it will have a serial number on the drivers door between the hinges which has a V (V by itself means a V8, usually a 259), Hamilton it will have a serial number starting VC (C=Canada). VINs are a later invention, and Studebakers never has VINs, so the serial number does not have encoded information like a VIN does.

Antique Cars Classics Customs Hotrods Leadsleds Roadsters Streetrods Trucks Turbine Car 40 31 Ford 67 Studebaker Charger 61 Chrysler Images Specs Pictures Photos Photographs Gifs Jpgs Events Schedule Vendors Forum

However, if you order the Production Order from the Studebaker National Museum, you will get how your car was built by the factory/what options etc--click on the attached example
                  The Studebaker National Museum Online Store is the place to shop for all of your Studebaker related merchandise needs....
                  Last edited by Jim B PEI; 09-24-2011, 06:59 PM.

Comment

uhhm the 289 was available if you ordered it special. cop cars had it.......

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                      uhhm the 289 was available if you ordered it special. cop cars had it.......
                      Yes, and there are the threads discussing this issue. As Skip Lackie notes at the bottom of the V8 id list
                      "Studebaker Corporation: Had a reputation for being willing to build anything to make a sale. For example, the 289 engine was not offered in any Studebaker 1959-model passenger car. However rumors persist that several such cars were made by special order, and based on some other one-of-a-kind vehicles Studebaker made, they may be true."

So, although they aren't on the list, there may be a car or two (other than a police car) that got a 289 in 1959. Generally speaking for a factory built for inventory car, no, and not for anything not specially ordered. I forget the consensus on the issue in the thread--would it have had a 1958 P-engine number if it was a 1959 289? And the Police Marshalls themselves were a 1960 model ISTR, although weren't there some late 1959 model year production changes to 289 availability/police cars that didn't get on to the regular lists?

Comment

Thanks for all the info does any one know if the lark wagon came with a
                        3,4,or a 5 speed transmissions might want to do a swap

Comment

I had a 59 Lark with the 259 V-8..the 289 wasn't available that year that I know of.

Comment

Originally posted by buggmann View Post
                            Thanks for all the info does any one know if the lark wagon came with a
                            3,4,or a 5 speed transmissions might want to do a swap
                            They came with a straight 3-speed manual, shifter on the column, or 3-speed with overdrive, same shifter, or a 3-speed automatic that many people mistake for a 2-speed because they start in second gear in "drive" range.

Chances are your Lark was the recipient of an engine transplant, and a '56 289 was used because it was available at the right price. Certainly does not detract from the car's value.
                            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Ok how could I find out what it had in it other then having
                              To get a po from snm as of now I'm going to put on a set of
                              duel Glass packs right now it sound's like a mad chainsaw but
                              hell I like it

Comment

Working...
                              X