What airport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What airport?

If flying in from the West Coast, what airport would we want? Large enough to be served by a direct flight but as close as possible. Chicago? We have only flown once in the last 10 years so I am rather ignorant on air travel.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Hi Don,
    I fly back to Indianapolis or South Bend (depending on price, etc.) roughly twice a year to visit my elderly parents. Being in Centralia you basically have a choice of going north to Seattle to fly or south to Portland. I believe that there are some flights from Portland to Midway airport. Midway to South Bend is roughly the same distance as Centralia to Portland. If you want to fly directly to South Bend, you are stuck going through O'Hare.

My suggestion would be to get on a website like Expedia, Orbitz or Travelocity, put in your preferred connections and let it shake out. There are also boxes you can check for "Nearby Airports" or flexible +/- travel days. You will be able to sort by best price, schedule, etc. Book on a Tuesday, it is cheaper.

I just booked a flight this week (on Tuesday) from my home airport of Eugene to South Bend, and got a better price than Portland to Midway or Portland to Indianapolis. Go figure! And, hang in there. It can be daunting, but patience counts. The prices are wildly variable, as the airlines are gaming the system to maximize $$$, but do not like to fly empty seats either.

Comment

Southwest into Midway....
      Best price...no frills...close in...

Originally posted by ddub View Post
      If flying in from the West Coast, what airport would we want? Large enough to be served by a direct flight but as close as possible. Chicago? We have only flown once in the last 10 years so I am rather ignorant on air travel.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks for the help. We drove to the IM in '97 and I am not up for that drive again.
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
          Here you go for the SOUTH BEND "Non-stop" carrier's info: http://www.flysbn.com/airlines.php

Of course this is as of the last update to their website, so things may change for July/August 2012.

Good Luck!!!

Comment

I'd use Detroit if I were flying and renting a car, but that is because I have friends there.
            Indianapolis would work well too.
            I would not use Chicago because the traffic jams are of biblical proportions.
            If I were renting a car at an airport and driving out, Chicago and its every 3 miles toll stops, would be off my list.

Comment

With having experience with Allegiant Air, out of the Mesa-Phoenix Gateway Airport (the old Williams AFB)...they may look cheap to begin with, but after all of the "Nickle and Dime" add on's they charge, more than others, your once cheap fare, isn't cheap any longer...plus they book only 6 months in advance. Since "LOT" now has a flight in/out of Phoenix, via Chicago O'Hara, on UA with LOT to Warsaw, PL.....no more Allegiant to "Rockfish" and then getting in to O'Hara!

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                With having experience with Allegiant Air, out of the Mesa-Phoenix Gateway Airport (the old Williams AFB)...they may look cheap to begin with, but after all of the "Nickle and Dime" add on's they charge, more than others, your once cheap fare, isn't cheap any longer...plus they book only 6 months in advance.
                Allegiant flys outta Bellingham. I have gone to Los Angeles, Long Beach, and
                San Diego with them. Here are a few things I have learned to get around
                some of their fees ~

The easiest one- do NOT buy your ticket online- go to the airport to purchase your ticket.

Unless you are dead set on a certain seat- do not select one. Just get to the airport early. They load the plane based on when you checked in- first come, first served. All you have to do is hope that there are not alot of Familys with kids traveling that day...
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by aenthal View Post
                  I'd use Detroit if I were flying and renting a car, but that is because I have friends there.
                  Indianapolis would work well too.
                  I would not use Chicago because the traffic jams are of biblical proportions.
                  If I were renting a car at an airport and driving out, Chicago and its every 3 miles toll stops, would be off my list.
                  No S**T!! Chicago traffic, even on weekends is terrible!

Comment

I have flown into Ft. Wayne, In. and rented a car and drove to South Bend with no problems.

Comment

We are flying in from Ft. Lauderdale to Indianapolis , rent a car and drive the 3 hours to South Bend.
                      Stayin at the Inn and will return drive to Indy for return flight back to Ft. Lauderdale.
                      Too far for a round trip drive with either my 63 GT Hawk or 78 Avanti II. Towing would kill me on gas mileage
                      and the 23 hour drive.

Comment

Working...
                      X