OT- Need Guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- Need Guidance

We want to get Robin a auto navigation system for her 25th birthday. She keeps calling here from her car asking how to get some place. Any suggestions? I know she will not deal with a hand held.

Thanks

US

I've got the Garmin Nuvi 680. Literally can't imagine ever traveling without it again. Easy to use, has bluetooth, MP3 player, wide touch screen; mounts to windshield or dash, plugs into lighter, built-in rechargeable battery. You can find an address, nearest food by type or name, nearest gas and current price there, traffic and construction alerts, on and on. About a grand.

You can get the 3-series for around half that; probably has everything most everyone needs. Both are plug-and-play, no set-up; voice command, turn-by-turn directions, trip stats, really tons of features...

Some things to look at if you shop: Number of POIs (Points Of Interest) and if you can set preferences, if it has its own battery, and the deal maker for me- size. Also- I recommend Best Buy for their service plan; great for peace of mind!

Honestly, so much more to say; too much to 2-finger type![:I] If you like you can call me anytime after 4:00 est Thurs. or after Noon any other day at 315-440-7351 and I'll tell you all I know about them; looked a long time before I bought.

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I've got the Garmin Nuvi 680. Literally can't imagine ever traveling without it again. Easy to use, has bluetooth, MP3 player, wide touch screen; mounts to windshield or dash, plugs into lighter, built-in rechargeable battery. You can find an address, nearest food by type or name, nearest gas and current price there, traffic and construction alerts, on and on. About a grand.

You can get the 3-series for around half that; probably has everything most everyone needs. Both are plug-and-play, no set-up; voice command, turn-by-turn directions, trip stats, really tons of features...

Some things to look at if you shop: Number of POIs (Points Of Interest) and if you can set preferences, if it has its own battery, and the deal maker for me- size. Also- I recommend Best Buy for their service plan; great for peace of mind!

Honestly, so much more to say; too much to 2-finger type![:I] If you like you can call me anytime after 4:00 est Thurs. or after Noon any other day at 315-440-7351 and I'll tell you all I know about them; looked a long time before I bought.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I've had a Garmin IQue (since replaced by a new model) for about 4 years now. I probably couldn't find my bed without it. I would definitely get another Garmin.

Tim K.
        '64 R2 GT Hawk
        Tim K.
        \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

I've had a Garmin IQue (since replaced by a new model) for about 4 years now. I probably couldn't find my bed without it. I would definitely get another Garmin.

Tim K.
          '64 R2 GT Hawk
          Tim K.
          \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

I have several maps. Rarely need them, but they're in the glovebox if I do.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have several maps. Rarely need them, but they're in the glovebox if I do.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I hear ya, Biggs. It seems like every new technological advance finds me struggling mightily to keep up...[B)] But more often than not it's worth the effort!

I love my GPS; not only for traveling, but even for finding local addresses, like if I look at something in an ad in the local paper; or a doctor's office.

It's great not to have to ask someone for directions to their house or business; I just ask for their street address, punch it into the GPS, and that's it[^]

I delivered some seats to a customer in Hobe Sound, FL last fall. I asked for his street address, and he said, "Well, it's about impossible to get through this confusing area; so just call when you get close and I'll meet you on the main road." I told him my GPS would take me right to his door. He didn't believe it, but gave the address and his cell #...

You should have seen his face when I pulled right up to his driveway and jumped out! [:0][8D]

E-mailed me about a month later to tell me he bought one of his own.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I hear ya, Biggs. It seems like every new technological advance finds me struggling mightily to keep up...[B)] But more often than not it's worth the effort!

I love my GPS; not only for traveling, but even for finding local addresses, like if I look at something in an ad in the local paper; or a doctor's office.

It's great not to have to ask someone for directions to their house or business; I just ask for their street address, punch it into the GPS, and that's it[^]

I delivered some seats to a customer in Hobe Sound, FL last fall. I asked for his street address, and he said, "Well, it's about impossible to get through this confusing area; so just call when you get close and I'll meet you on the main road." I told him my GPS would take me right to his door. He didn't believe it, but gave the address and his cell #...

You should have seen his face when I pulled right up to his driveway and jumped out! [:0][8D]

E-mailed me about a month later to tell me he bought one of his own.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Another thing about this:

Seems like most cars of the early 60s and older I own have either a non-working or inaccurate speedometer. My GPS has a built-in satellite-based speedometer which is very accurate. It does, however, look funny having one of these things on the windshield of a stodgy old Studebaker...

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Another thing about this:

Seems like most cars of the early 60s and older I own have either a non-working or inaccurate speedometer. My GPS has a built-in satellite-based speedometer which is very accurate. It does, however, look funny having one of these things on the windshield of a stodgy old Studebaker...

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

My son works at Zappos (shoes) and recently they started selling GPS online. I got his discount and bought a Garmin c330 for $200.00. I love it so much I've named her Emma (she has a british accent). I ride with Emma in my motorhome and she's super accurate. It's so nice to be in a city you are completely unfamiliar with and be able to find places accurately.

The ONLY issue I've had was when I tried to search for a Pizza restaurant and she kept taking me to delivery only places. Once she took me to a Walmart that had been torn down. Other than that, she (GPS) is great. Very easy to use. I bought the c330 instead of the Nuvi because I didn't need (or want) the MP3, bluetooth, etc.

Comment

My son works at Zappos (shoes) and recently they started selling GPS online. I got his discount and bought a Garmin c330 for $200.00. I love it so much I've named her Emma (she has a british accent). I ride with Emma in my motorhome and she's super accurate. It's so nice to be in a city you are completely unfamiliar with and be able to find places accurately.

The ONLY issue I've had was when I tried to search for a Pizza restaurant and she kept taking me to delivery only places. Once she took me to a Walmart that had been torn down. Other than that, she (GPS) is great. Very easy to use. I bought the c330 instead of the Nuvi because I didn't need (or want) the MP3, bluetooth, etc.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

We want to get Robin a auto navigation system for her 25th birthday. She keeps calling here from her car asking how to get some place. Any suggestions? I know she will not deal with a hand held.

Thanks

US
                            I've bought two so far and have friends who also have bought from gpscity.com . They seem to have the best prices. I'm currently using a Garmin Streetpilot 2610, upgrading from the Garmin eMap. These things have saved me more than once. The downside of the 2610 is that it is not handheld so it can't be taken with you like the 2610. I used to fly with my eMap and it used to kill deadtime while sitting in that aluminum tube... just had to get a window seat for it to work. Only thing to remember is that these things are about as distracting to a driver as a cell phone. Many of the newer models won't allow you to do much while the vehicle is in motion... mine I can search, zoom, etc. all while in 90 mph bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Lee

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

Thanks

US
                              I've bought two so far and have friends who also have bought from gpscity.com . They seem to have the best prices. I'm currently using a Garmin Streetpilot 2610, upgrading from the Garmin eMap. These things have saved me more than once. The downside of the 2610 is that it is not handheld so it can't be taken with you like the 2610. I used to fly with my eMap and it used to kill deadtime while sitting in that aluminum tube... just had to get a window seat for it to work. Only thing to remember is that these things are about as distracting to a driver as a cell phone. Many of the newer models won't allow you to do much while the vehicle is in motion... mine I can search, zoom, etc. all while in 90 mph bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Lee

Comment

Working...
                              X