Wix oil filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wix oil filter

Can someone tell me what the Wix oil filter number is for the full flow Stude V 8?

Thanks in advance.

Ted

It is 51004. Dusty

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Ted, I'm not exactly sure what car your talking about but my 55 with the canaster filter takes the NAPA Filter #1006; it does come with a new gasket for each filter. Hope this helps.

Murray
      Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Originally posted by stall View Post
        Ted, I'm not exactly sure what car your talking about/Cut/
        Murray
        Murray; A full flow Stude. Engine is a late '62 to '64 with the filter on the lower right side (bottom) of the Engine. It is a Spin-on type.

Ted; that would be a NAPA/Wix # 1049
        Last edited by StudeRich; 09-20-2011, 07:49 AM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ted, The numbers I have are PC-55P, PC-58P and 51618 although numbers change all the time.

Comment

Ted: What you run into are two numbers; one for the long filter with which those engines were originally equipped, and a second number for the short filter that people began using because it was easier than stocking the long filter, and most GM applications using the filter were OK with the short filter.

The OEM long filter was a Fram PH10 or Purolator PER-5. From the WIX website this morning, that interchanges with current WIX #51049.

The short filter 'most everybody came to use was a Fram PH25. From the WIX website this morning, that interchanges with current WIX #51258.

You can actually use either one. If they're the same price and you can find it, it's nice to use the long one for more filter area. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Might want to recheck that Fram number Bob. I have a shelf full of PH-11 Fram filters that I use on my full flow engines. They are the long ones.
              Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              Ted: What you run into are two numbers; one for the long filter with which those engines were originally equipped, and a second number for the short filter that people began using because it was easier than stocking the long filter, and most GM applications using the filter were OK with the short filter.

The OEM long filter was a Fram PH10 or Purolator PER-5. From the WIX website this morning, that interchanges with current WIX #51049.

The short filter 'most everybody came to use was a Fram PH25. From the WIX website this morning, that interchanges with current WIX #51258.

You can actually use either one. If they're the same price and you can find it, it's nice to use the long one for more filter area. BP
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Sorry, but the number I gave you is incorrect. The number that Bob Palma gave 51049 is the correct number. Dusty

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
                  Might want to recheck that Fram number Bob. I have a shelf full of PH-11 Fram filters that I use on my full flow engines. They are the long ones.
                  Thanks, Frank; good point. I'm not sure of the difference between PH10 and PH11; they are both long.

However, I just rechecked the WIX website. They list the same interchange (51049) as being for both PH10 and PH11, so it doesn't make any difference.

(PH11 may have an anti drain-back valve or something that the earlier PH10 did not have.) BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                  X