'66 parking brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: '66 parking brake

The parking brake in my 'new' '66 feels like it's disconnected....there is very little 'push' to the pedal, and pulling the release handle leaves the warning light on and the pedal must be pulled up manually to turn the light off. I'd feel better with a working parking brake. What kind of job is that and can a local brake place do the job?

Thanks!
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Very simple fix. Without seeing your specific system, they usually consist of three cables: One from the pedal going back to about midway or 3/4 of the way back; that connects to a yoke that connects to two shorter cables, one to each wheel. Other than maybe a clip or hanger in a couple places, that's it.

You probably have a broken main cable. Usually you can replace a broken cable and lube the existing ones and adjust, and be done. You don't automatically need all new cables. The hardware inside the rear drums is most always there and in good condition.

Of course, as you know, any cable or part you need is readily available. But it starts with diagnosis. You can easily look under the car and trace the cables back from the pedal to the rear axle. See what's missing and let us know.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
      Very simple fix. Without seeing your specific system, they usually consist of three cables: One from the pedal going back to about midway or 3/4 of the way back; that connects to a yoke that connects to two shorter cables, one to each wheel. Other than maybe a clip or hanger in a couple places, that's it.

You probably have a broken main cable. Usually you can replace a broken cable and lube the existing ones and adjust, and be done. You don't automatically need all new cables. The hardware inside the rear drums is most always there and in good condition.

Of course, as you know, any cable or part you need is readily available. But it starts with diagnosis. You can easily look under the car and trace the cables back from the pedal to the rear axle. See what's missing and let us know.
      Thanks Bob. I have a short list of smaller stuff I'd like to get done before I put 'er away (already thinking of taking her to South Bend '12!). First thing is the short rubber hose from the front of the gas tank to the steel line is dripping fuel down the bottom of the tank (not a lot, but noticeable). The rubber itself looks all ballooned up around the clamp there. The big problem is the tank has about 3/8 gallon of gas in it, so I'm taking it to a place in Akron tomorrow for that. But...the body on that car is unbelievable...floors are like a new car, and the frame as well!
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      All are in Australia now

Comment

It sounds like the parking brake foot pedal return spring is either disconnected or missing. That MAY be your entire problem. Does the parking brake activate the rear shoes when you step on the pedal? Do the brakes release when you pull the pedal back up?
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

By all means, Bill; remedy that fuel hose situation immediately. It sounds/looks like old, not-ethanol-compatible hose is on there and has started to swell and deteriorate. This needs to be replaced right away, before it disintegrates and debris clogs up the fuel system anywhere it decides to lodge.

Be sure to change the fuel filter when the hose is replaced.

As Bob Andrews said, the parking brake system is a piece of cake. Nothing unique to Studebaker about it. From under the car, the tech might as well be working on a 1972 Chevelle or something, the basic architecture is so similar.

Parts are readily available, too, and easily replaced once the problem is isolated. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            By all means, Bill; remedy that fuel hose situation immediately. It sounds/looks like old, not-ethanol-compatible hose is on there and has started to swell and deteriorate. This needs to be replaced right away, before it disintegrates and debris clogs up the fuel system anywhere it decides to lodge.

Be sure to change the fuel filter when the hose is replaced.

As Bob Andrews said, the parking brake system is a piece of cake. Nothing unique to Studebaker about it. From under the car, the tech might as well be working on a 1972 Chevelle or something, the basic architecture is so similar.

Parts are readily available, too, and easily replaced once the problem is isolated. BP
            Ironically, on the 12-mile drive to the shop, I noticed for the first time some 'bucking' at around 35-40mph, so they are putting a new fuel filter in too. They also showed me where a leak exists from the neck that hose goes on, where it needs rewelded so they are doing that too. They used that red rubber tubing for the hose; said it's thicker than regular rubber.
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
            X