Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag Class for a 1963 R2 Hawk in 1963

I'm taking my 1963 R2 Hawk to a local cruise this weekend and I would
    like to do something a little different. I'm going to leave the wheel covers off and put a couple of reproduction drag strip class winner stickers on my back quarter windows to make the car look
    a little like they did for drag racing "back in the day".
    I would like to put the class and a number on the door glass
    with shoe polish or poster paint, but I don't know what class
    the R2 Hawk would have been in.
    Does anybody know what class (D/S) or something of the like that
    I can put on the window and I won't look crazy. I know Studebaker
    didn't publish HP ratings at the time, but an approximate class
    would be good enough for me. Not many other people there will
    probably know if I am correct or not.
    Thanks in advance for the info.
    Terry Stinehelfer
    Bucyrus, OH

J stock is what the car would be put in with a stick or K stock with an auto. But they would put you in a supercharged gas class if you didn't disconect the blower belt. At least that is what UDRA rules were.

Comment

J stock is what the car would be put in with a stick or K stock with an auto. But they would put you in a supercharged gas class if you didn't disconect the blower belt. At least that is what UDRA rules were.

Comment

The more common NHRA classes were entirely different, I was running in I/S-F7 (I stock formula 7) for 259 Auto.

Trying to remember what Gordon William's Super Red '63 Super Lark, Standard 2dr. R2 H.D. Flight-O-Matic ran at the Pomona, CA NHRA Winter Nationals! I have the 35mm color slides somewhere!

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The more common NHRA classes were entirely different, I was running in I/S-F7 (I stock formula 7) for 259 Auto.

Trying to remember what Gordon William's Super Red '63 Super Lark, Standard 2dr. R2 H.D. Flight-O-Matic ran at the Pomona, CA NHRA Winter Nationals! I have the 35mm color slides somewhere!

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

D/S I WHAS THERE
            quote:Originally posted by Alan

Comment

D/S I WHAS THERE
              quote:Originally posted by Alan

Comment

Back then they put 57-58 Silver Hawks in F and G stock around here . This was about 1963 and 1964 in Fla at NHRA style strips. They later fell down to K Stock as the classes were rearranged by the late '60's .
                Bill H
                Daytona Beach
                SDC member since 1970
                Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

Back then they put 57-58 Silver Hawks in F and G stock around here . This was about 1963 and 1964 in Fla at NHRA style strips. They later fell down to K Stock as the classes were rearranged by the late '60's .
                  Bill H
                  Daytona Beach
                  SDC member since 1970
                  Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

I was able to run a Silver Hawk in NHRA D stock with a added supercharger. They ruled that the engine could have been factory for that car, go figure.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                    63 Avanti R1
                    63 Daytona convert
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    62 Lark 2 door
                    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                    59 3E truck
                    58 Starlight
                    52 & 53 Starliner
                    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I was able to run a Silver Hawk in NHRA D stock with a added supercharger. They ruled that the engine could have been factory for that car, go figure.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                      63 Avanti R1
                      63 Daytona convert
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      62 Lark 2 door
                      60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                      59 3E truck
                      58 Starlight
                      52 & 53 Starliner
                      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

When I raced my Hawk it was BS/A for the 289 (auto) and QS/A for the 259 (1970'ish no blower). (I know 'cause I entered in in QS/A knowing no one would tear down a Studebaker)
                        Used to get paired with Corvairs....and get whipped[:0]
                        Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                        Brooklet, Georgia
                        '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                        '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                        '61 Hawk (project)
                        http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

When I raced my Hawk it was BS/A for the 289 (auto) and QS/A for the 259 (1970'ish no blower). (I know 'cause I entered in in QS/A knowing no one would tear down a Studebaker)
                          Used to get paired with Corvairs....and get whipped[:0]
                          Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                          Brooklet, Georgia
                          '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                          '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                          '61 Hawk (project)
                          http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by R2GTHAWK

like to do something a little different. I'm going to leave the wheel covers off and put a couple of reproduction drag strip class winner stickers on my back quarter windows to make the car look
                            Terry Stinehelfer
                            Bucyrus, OH
                            Cute idea, Terry: [u]Go for it</u>! BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by R2GTHAWK

Terry Stinehelfer
                              Bucyrus, OH
                              Cute idea, Terry: [u]Go for it</u>! BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X