This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Club Projects

This recent talk about a Zip Van has gotten me thinkin'. The South Georgia Chapter of SDC (where I belong, my grandad's the Prez) has done 2 huge club projects since its beginning in 1993. The first was the restoration of a '63 Zip Van, which is now in the Studebaker National Museum. The other was the '51 2R16 flat bed dump truck we restored and raffled off. We sold approximately 2500 tickets at $2.00 apiece. I bought 3 tickets and won the darn thing. I traded it to my grandad for his '59 Scotsman. He uses the '51 in his business, and I use the '59 as my daily driver.

So, are there any other chapters of SDC that have done a restoration of a Stude as a club project? Surely we can't be the only one.

Also, I personally thought the projects were fun and really brought the club together as a whole. It really sparked interest too.

The dump truck:

More pics here:

The Zip Van: (slide show)

Stu Chapman found the last 1966, and with help from the Ontario and Hamilton Chapters bought it, restored it and donated it. Its in the SDC Museum now.

Paul R

Comment

Stu Chapman found the last 1966, and with help from the Ontario and Hamilton Chapters bought it, restored it and donated it. Its in the SDC Museum now.

Paul R

Comment

Yah, the "Tom" chapter of SDC is mod/restoring a black '63 Avanti.
        Me, Myself, and I are doing all the work.

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Yah, the "Tom" chapter of SDC is mod/restoring a black '63 Avanti.
          Me, Myself, and I are doing all the work.

Tom
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

In Queensland, Australia there's a raffle car (restored Lark) on the go at the moment.
            /H

Comment

In Queensland, Australia there's a raffle car (restored Lark) on the go at the moment.
              /H

Comment

i am not going back to research it, but many Chapters have restored cars to go to the SNM, fund raising projects and other things.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY
                1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

i am not going back to research it, but many Chapters have restored cars to go to the SNM, fund raising projects and other things.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55s

Paul R
                    That's certainly not how I remember it. Stu Chapman and the Canadian Chapters neither "bought" the car nor "donated it." The last Studebaker was donated to the City of South Bend by Studebaker and ended up in the SNM. The car had been used some and also had poor storage for a period of years. Stu Chapman got the idea to improve the car. The Ontario and Hamilton Chapters took on the project of refurbishing, not restoring, the car to make it look more like when it was new as it sat in the SNM. If you have any documentation refuting my memory of this, fire away.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55s

Paul R
                      That's certainly not how I remember it. Stu Chapman and the Canadian Chapters neither "bought" the car nor "donated it." The last Studebaker was donated to the City of South Bend by Studebaker and ended up in the SNM. The car had been used some and also had poor storage for a period of years. Stu Chapman got the idea to improve the car. The Ontario and Hamilton Chapters took on the project of refurbishing, not restoring, the car to make it look more like when it was new as it sat in the SNM. If you have any documentation refuting my memory of this, fire away.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

You may be right, Studegary. I do not know where the car came from.

I was not involved in the details, but I do recall several fundraisers, several thousand dollars was raised, and that the purpose of the funds was for its restoration /refurbishment.

Whatever way it happened, it was for the SDC National Museum cause.

Paul R

Comment

You may be right, Studegary. I do not know where the car came from.

I was not involved in the details, but I do recall several fundraisers, several thousand dollars was raised, and that the purpose of the funds was for its restoration /refurbishment.

Whatever way it happened, it was for the SDC National Museum cause.

Paul R

Comment

Working...
                          X