Studebaker Engine Installation Stupid Award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Engine Installation Stupid Award

I think I get the stupid award for installation of a Studebaker Drive train in my 64 Convert. I finally got around to running the engine and breaking it in after I installed it last year. (Yes it is going slower than I would like). I idled it down and found it was hitting something. I then look and see the left exhaust manifold is hitting the steering gear box. I then think, HMNN, what did I do wrong.? I installed new mounts so it is not due to bad ones. I checked the front mounts and they are installed in the correct holes. I then check the parts book and see that the rear mounts for automatics have spacers under the rear mounts. Ok, so that is what those left over spacers are that I have! I still have not installed them but at least feel comfortable that is the issue. I pulled the engine around 4 or 5 years ago and just did not remember the spacers, All other Studebakers I have rebuilt have been standard transmissions cars. I necessarily do not understand why a mount would have a 1/2 inch spacer under but that is neither here nor there. This is one of those moments where one feels stupid for not being more careful when I tore it down. Thought I would share and maybe it would keep someone else from making the same stupid mistake,
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

The spacer is installed under the left side (driver's side) rear mount since, on left hand drive cars, the engine is offset slightly to the right side. Likewise, considering the pairs of front mount holes, the front mounts should be installed so that they are also offset to the right.

Comment

Nuthin' stupid about it at all....
      And you are to be commended for not remembering all the goofy stuff a struggling (because I didn't want to say second rate) manufacturer did to use existing parts to stay under budget.....50 years ago)....
      Your shared pain is a breath of fresh air!
      Jeff

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
      I think I get the stupid award for installation of a Studebaker Drive train in my 64 Convert.
      <snip>
      Thought I would share and maybe it would keep someone else from making the same stupid mistake,
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
      X