Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many Studerbakers On the road today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Studerbakers On the road today?

In promoting International Drive your Studebaker day today, I was asked just how many Studebakers were on the road today. My guess is 20,000. There were 9 from our Chapter out and about today. How about you? Maybe we can come up with a good estimate.
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

At least 14 showed up at the Studebaker Cheesecake factory. And there was another one at the IHOP this evening.

Pat
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

20,000 is as good a guess as any.
      With around 12,000 SDC members (or is it 15,000?), and at least one Studebaker per member (even though some members have more than one, and some don't have one yet, or any more) the guess part is how many more are in the hands of collectors who do not belong to any clubs. 5000-8000 seems reasonable.
      It's not like whoever you were talking to will have the global DMV records from every state, province, and nation in the world, to prove that guess wrong.

Comment

13*

In Atlantic Canada Chapter, we had 6* come from New Brunswick and Nova Scotia to join up with the Prince Edward Island 2 : 39 Commander 4dr sedan, 40 Champion Opera 2 dr (inaugural trip!!), 47 Champion 4dr, 54 Champion C, 55 V8 1 ton flatbed, 57 Golden Hawk (inaugural road trip!!) 60 Lark VI 4 dr, and 63 Daytona 6 convertible. We also had a ringer as one SDC ACC member, who had sold his 50 Champion convertible, showed up in a 65 Ramber American convertible. (suitably, it was a flathead 6, and some passerby though it was a Valiant <g>). We toured about, ending up for a barbeque and cornroast, and there was music played by several folks.

Another 2 Studebakers, a 55 Commander and 61 Hawk, had to be moved about to permit dinner, so though they didn't drive far, that makes 10 on the road for our tour today. I'm embarrassed to say that I had some technical faults, so I was driving a Brand Vw on today of all days, but the 63 Wagonaire* and the 57 Champion* made short trips down the road first, "just to say they did" so add another 2.

One other Studebaker, a 64 Daytona 6 sedan, had a nice long road trip across New Brunswick, but developed some pesky distributor problems just before getting to the Island, so a Brand D was borrowed to participate in today's tour, "just in case"

Our little club, which covers a heck of a lot of territory, now has 56 members, which is an alltime record high. That we had about twenty out on a less than perfect day is pretty good

* sort of
        Last edited by Jim B PEI; 09-10-2011, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Having a toddler in tow precluded the 1-1/2 trek north to the Studebaker Cheesecake gathering. I'll catch you guys next year.

Instead, we loaded up the 2 yr. old and 5 mos. old and got a great parking spot near the big playground/carousel in Golden Gate Park (about 300 families present) Interestingly, it was the mommies and kids most excited to see that child safety seats and an old Studebaker work just fine together!

Highlight was this interchange with one grandmother:
          Grandma: "Hey that's a Studebaker! I had one, but it wasn't that pretty.
          Me: "Oh you did? What model did you have?"
          Grandma: "I don't remember, but it had nice seats like those."
          Me: "Yeah, back then car seats and sofas weren't so different, were they?"
          Grandma: "Nope...because we used them both for the same things, only with more privacy!"

I love old people.
          Andy
          62 GT

Comment

Took my 64 Daytona out to run some errands today.. Little tense when it stalled at the red light and refused to start . Finally got it started again and away we went.
            So one in Fernie BC. It would be interesting know how many are still out there driving around .
            Love my Lark

Comment

there was 9 at the local cruse in.
              sigpic

Comment

South Ga. had 7 that I know of.
                Neil Thornton

Comment

North Georgia Chapter had 11 at our chapter meeting yesterday.

Dan Miller
                  Auburn, GA

Comment

Hamilton Chapter had only 4 cars at the StarLite Drive-in, showing "The California Kid" and "American Graffiti." Beautiful night, near full moon, clear view of the stars, and a pile of classic cars to boot. Great day.

Comment

Midway Chapter had 8 Studebakers doing a IDYSD cruise yesterday. Pix and report later today.
                      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

The Big Six Riverbend had a count of 10 for the cruise to Geneseo's Ill. Planes Trains and Automobile festival. They also had a nice memorial for all service people, military and civilian.
                        Tom
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Anne F. Goodman View Post
                          In promoting International Drive your Studebaker day today, I was asked just how many Studebakers were on the road today. My guess is 20,000.<<<
                          Anne, now just hold that thought for one minute!!!20,000" people in various countries around the globe all out driving their Studebakers on that one special day each year. Now imagine each of those 20,000 handing out our excellent SDC "Join the Studebaker FamilyIF20,000 affect only ONE person to join SDC, Anne how many NEW members could we have each year???

International Drive Your Studebaker Day = (IDYSDInternational Drive About To Enroll Day = (I-DATE Day)

Comment

Grand Canyon Chapter had 16 Studebakers at the Mel Martin Museum in Phoenix yesterday.
                            Great turn out on the first day below 100 in a long time.
                            Brian Millette

Comment

We had 9 pull into the hotel last night (one new member). Hopr to pick up more along the way to the Chapter meeting.
                              Brian
                              Brian Woods
                              woodysrods@shaw.ca
                              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Working...
                              X