66 Cruiser, leftover inventory sold in 1972

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 Cruiser, leftover inventory sold in 1972

A friend has purchased a low mileage (40, XXX) 66 Cruiser that has not been driven in quite some years. It is in very nice original condition and I will share some photos when I have the owners permission. He purchased it from the original owner and his son who is now into his nineties. What he was told is the original owner purchased it in 1972 from Harry Smith Studebaker in Jerseyville, IL. Something was said about it being inventory they were not permitted to sell. They could not remember details. I have speculated that it might have been inventory from a bankruptcy that was being held. Does anyone else have any ideas? Or any info on Harry Smith Studebaker in Jerseyville, IL?
    sigpic

Is this the one that I saw a few weeks ago on the repair lot at Arsenal and Chippewa?

Comment

That's the one. Except Chippewa is named Watson at that point. It is there to have a good going over before it is driven. The owner is a long time SDC member. I've asked him to join the forum.
      sigpic

Comment

A bunch of years back I went and bought a bunch of parts off of larks which some guy had bought at that auction. The way I understand it is the dealer had a bunch of new cars and would not sell them as he thought they would become valuable. The remains of the cars that had been sitting for years sinking into the ground were sold at auction which I found out about after it was over. I got that version of the story from the club members like George Munginzer and John Cosco whom had tried to buy cars from the dealer and were told they were not for sale. The story was he had a field of 66's stored somewhere also. I never heard that those were ever located. Thinking back I wish I had bought that 62 hard hardtop what was sitting there. It was rust free and the guy wanted the total of $200 for the car, it did not have a title. At the time I did not have any place to store the car.
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

The only thing that come to my mind is that 1972 is when all of Studebakers warrenty contracts were completed and they closed up plant 8. Interesting.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

There was a Truman Foster Studebaker Dealer in Jerseyville IL.. (1939-1959) I can't find any remnants of any Harry Smith.
            Jerseyville is only around a mile square today, probably a lot smaller in the 60's. I'll presume there was room there for 2 dealers,
            but what a competition that would be...
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Truman Fosters nephew contacted me and affirmed there definitely was a Harry Smith Motors in Jerseyville. He said his father bought more than a couple from him. Will send more info when he finds it..
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I learned today that the build order says that Harry Smith was the delivered to dealer. But it must have been transferred at some point to another dealer as the elderly gentleman says he bought it from a dealer in Litchfield. However he might be confused. The original paperwork cannot be found.
                sigpic

Comment

thanks for the info. Every little bit helps as we try to piece this cars history together.
                  sigpic

Comment

I thought I saw a Chicago Auto Club sticker on the back bumper?

Comment

I remember that dealership...I started doing business in Jerseyville in 1979
                      and the Studebakers were sitting there then, the used ones that is.
                      One was a skytop. The dealership was located just North of where the
                      Kubota dealer is today...I think it was a Pontaic and/or Buick dealer then.

fstst56

Comment

Working...
                      X