Water Pump Pulley Alignment 63 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Water Pump Pulley Alignment 63 Avanti

Since I'm new here, and haven't been working on Studes since the 60's, was there a time or is there now , a problem with Avanti water pumps having the improper flange location on a water pump?
    Finally have 1517 running pretty well, still with some carb issues, and noticed the supercharger and alternator belts don't align properly with the water pump pulley. With a straight edge they line up with the crank pulleys but at the water pump they move outward --maybe 1/4 inch at the pulley then back in, like the pulley is too far out from the housing. A PO put on what I call "broken back" belts that are too narrow and don't ride in the pulleys correctly and was about to change them when I noticed the misalignment. Probably put these belts on so they wouldn't pop off. Looking at the Avanti manual there is a very specific measurement for the flange location on the shaft, but don't want to pull a non-leaking pump out, if the new one is going to be off too. And I don't have a press to correct the measurement if it is off. Could a non-Avanti 289 pump have been used? I don't have a manual on any of the other cars with a 289/259 to see if there is a different measurement for them. I know the housings are stouter on the Avanti pumps but any other differences--like flange distance to the housing face? The engine is a replacement -A JTSH engine, is it possible the water manifold is different, just that little bit? Everything else seems to line up fine.

Could a non-Avanti 289 pump have been used?
    Yes, given the car is almost fifty years old and may have had several rebuilt water pumps installed, who knows what is is on there.
    was there a time or is there now , a problem with Avanti water pumps having the improper flange location on a water pump?
    Yes, there have been problems with improper flange location; problems with improper impeller location, problems with bad seals, problems with weak castings.
    but don't want to pull a non-leaking pump out
    No, if you want to get the belts aligned, it's gotta come off.

In theory, the new one should correct the alignment problem.
    if the new one is going to be off too.
    In practice, check it before you Permatex it.
    And I don't have a press to correct the measurement if it is off.
    In Chesapeake, VA, there's going to be a press nearby. It's a five minute operation for someone who knows how. It's a broken, useless pump for someone who doesn't.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Working...
    X