2.88 Rear Gears, Fact or Myth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.88 Rear Gears, Fact or Myth?

Over the years I have heard several mentions of model 44 rear ends being available with 2.88 gears. However, I have never seen one, nor have I ever talked to anyone who has. So, my question is where could I get my hands on a model 44 with 2.88 gears. I am very interested in locating one, so hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction.
    Thanks,
    Joe H

Here's a 2.72 ratio
    Jeff

DANA 44 2.72 RING & PINION OEM gear set [D44272-OE]
    This Original Equipment ring and pinion gear set is designed for Dana 44 applications and manufactured by Dana Corporation. This gear set is crafted to provide a 2.73 ratio
    Superior Axle and Gear also offers OEM Ring and Pinion gear sets. These gears are manufactured to the exact specifications and requirements of the vehicle manufacturer and in their certified factories. These gear sets have the same quality as those that came on the vehicle. So for you purists and restoration buffs, these are for you!

$276.00
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
      Over the years I have heard several mentions of model 44 rear ends being available with 2.88 gears. However, I have never seen one, nor have I ever talked to anyone who has. So, my question is where could I get my hands on a model 44 with 2.88 gears. I am very interested in locating one, so hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction.
      Thanks,
      Joe H
      Interesting as I was just looking at gear ratios for my 74 Avanti Dana.

The 2.88's were European Dana ratios and used in Jaguars and some Sunbeams. Will work in US 44's with some bolt modifications. Although not sure why you would want them with other US ratios close.

Bob

Comment

Hi, Joe,

The 2.88 was original equipment on every Sunbeam Tiger. Not sure what else used them, but there are at least 7,000 out there. The Sunbeam Tiger Owners Association and the California Association of Tiger Owners are two places to look.

Will work in US 44's with some bolt modifications.
        FWIW, we swapped out dozens of 2.88s for lower US Dana gears with no modifications. Your results may vary.

jack vines
        Last edited by PackardV8; 09-04-2011, 06:16 PM.
        PackardV8

Comment

Thanks Jeff & JV. For my current project, the 2.72 gears are more preferable than 2.88. Do y'all think the 2.72 set would work in a 3.07 housing? Or is that a question I should ask the Superior Gear folks?
          Joe H

Comment

According to several different carrier web listings...yes, it should fit fine.
            Jeff

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
            Thanks Jeff & JV. For my current project, the 2.72 gears are more preferable than 2.88. Do y'all think the 2.72 set would work in a 3.07 housing? Or is that a question I should ask the Superior Gear folks?
            Joe H
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I don't know what your project is but I took out a 300-1 9 inch and put in a 275-1 made a trip about 250 miles and when I got back I put the 300-1 back in.

Comment

ST2DE5, sounds like "different strokes", plus there may be several variables with us. I drive Hawks, with 205/75 radials, on 6" wheels, which are about 27" tall. Not sure what yor drive, tire size, etc. I have ran gears from 4.27 to 2.39 in Studes, and in general, prefer final drive ratio below 3.0. This is easy to do with an overdrive, and is stock on many Studes, i.e. a 56J with T85 OD transmission & 3.92 rear end is 2.82 final drive, and the popular 3.73 rear end that came stock in many Stude V8s yields 2.61 in high gear OD. I once drove a GT around for a few thousand miles till I could find time to repair the OD, and was sure glad to get the OD back into operation. The straight 3.54 was noisier at road speed, ran hotter temps, and used more gas.

Stude was limited to how low (numerically) they could gear the FlightO-O-Matic V8s, due to 2nd gear start. A TH350/400, with 1st gear start and 2.73 rear end will take off much quicker than a Flight-O-Matic with stock 3.31, and still have nice cruising gears.

Comment

Working...
                X