Slides onto a CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slides onto a CD

What's the cheapest and best way to transfer slides onto a CD?
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

A scanner with a slide attachment works well.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

You can buy slide scanners on ebay real cheap. They transfer directly to your computer.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
        What's the cheapest and best way to transfer slides onto a CD?
        Do you have a bunch or only a few? The reason I ask is that the time that it takes to scan and process slides well, particularly on reasonably priced scanners, can be considerable. I have a cheap scanner that I have used for some onesie, twosie scanning, but the thought of the time that it took me for those multiplied by 200 or 400 slides (I have roughly 2-3000 in my albums) just doesn't make sense.

These fellows do slides for $0.29 each. http://www.slidescanningpros.com/ I have to admit that it is an unashamed plug for a local to me business. But, I have been most pleased with the ease and quality of the jobs I have had done. I plan to eventually have all of my slides scanned.

Comment

Originally posted by MPlaia View Post
          Do you have a bunch or only a few? The reason I ask is that the time that it takes to scan and process slides well, particularly on reasonably priced scanners, can be considerable. I have a cheap scanner that I have used for some onesie, twosie scanning, but the thought of the time that it took me for those multiplied by 200 or 400 slides (I have roughly 2-3000 in my albums) just doesn't make sense.
          I have the same amount of negatives and slides; not to mention some slides my dad has which I will eventually scan, which made it justifiable to purchase a Nikon CoolScan 5000ED unit for 35mm slides and negatives. The results I've found are excellent. I posted some scanned from slides taken in 1979 in #27 in this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=1979

Craig

Comment

Lot's of options available for you 35mm dudes. My slides are all 60mm. I can't even find a projector for them anymore.
            Sent an inquiry to Mark's recommendation. Hope for encouraging response. If so, expect photos from Gettysburg '80.
            Last edited by rockne10; 09-04-2011, 04:26 PM.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              Lot's of options available for you 35mm dudes. My slides are all 60mm. I can't even find a projector for them anymore.
              Will a Nikon CoolScan 9000ED work on those? The 5000ED is designed for 35mm only, while the 9000ED will scan most other sizes.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                I I posted some scanned from slides taken in 1979 in #27 in this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=1979

Craig
                Whoa, Craig...thanks for the reto-ride to 1979. I just showed my daughter the photos of her beloved Chinook Mall, she couldn't believe it. That was cool! She thinks I was kidding her when I told her Sears was not even part of the mall and there was a road that parted it from Woodwards back in the day. Woodwards...what's that old guy? was basically the look she gave me. Junior re-living his childhood.
                sigpic
                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  Will a Nikon CoolScan 9000ED work on those?
                  Craig
                  Thanks, Craig! I called Nikon Support and they determined it would not work. They did, however, suggest a specific "Google" search.
                  I have just ordered a Praktica DS-66 through Amazon UK. $150 including shipping. If it does the trick, expect old photos of Stude meets and, old friends can expect memories of many back-packing trips. If it doesn't work I'm out $150.
                  Sometimes it just takes a nudge in the right direction.
                  Last edited by rockne10; 09-04-2011, 05:31 PM.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

We have an EPSON Perfection 4180 which I see has been replaced in the product line by the EPSON 4490 Office Scanner. About 50 carousels were scanned and if you have a large quantity it can become a monotonous task.
                    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                      Thanks, Craig! I called Nikon Support and they determined it would not work. They did, however, suggest a specific "Google" search.
                      I have just ordered a Praktica DS-66 through Amazon UK. $150 including shipping. If it does the trick, expect old photos of Stude meets and, old friends can expect memories of many back-packing trips. If it doesn't work I'm out $150.
                      Sometimes it just takes a nudge in the right direction.
                      You're welcome! Now you will have to let us know how will it works! I, for one really want to see your old Stude meet photos when you get around to scanning them.

Craig

Comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
                        I was asking at the request of the wife unit. She has about 1000 slides but managed to narrow the pile down to about 100 she wants to save last night. She says she'll order a cheapie scanner off the bay.
                        Again, thanks.
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

To use the slide scanner, do you have to demount the slide to flatten it? As you know, slides "pop" into focus when you use a lamp projector and appear bulged when cool.

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
                            To use the slide scanner, do you have to demount the slide to flatten it? As you know, slides "pop" into focus when you use a lamp projector and appear bulged when cool.
                            Not with the Nikon units. They use LED's for the 'lamp', and heat warping is not a factor; hence the name CoolScan.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Bryant View Post
                              We have an EPSON Perfection 4180 which I see has been replaced in the product line by the EPSON 4490 Office Scanner. About 50 carousels were scanned and if you have a large quantity it can become a monotonous task.
                              I also have about 50 carousels to scan. I'm wondering how well the slide images are in focus using the Epson. Is there some way to adjust the focus? I am looking at replacing my old HP with an Epson V600. With the HP, the slides are usually not in focus. Sometimes they are in focus before the heat from the lamp pops them and sometimes after they pop but usually the focus point seems to be halfway in-between. I am looking at the V600 because it uses LEDs for the light source to eliminate the pop.
                              Thanks, Cliff
                              54 Commander Coupe driver
                              53 Commander Hardtop project
                              SE Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X