No announcement yet.

Powershift Trans ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Powershift Trans ?

Friends, I recently pulled the trans pan on my '64 GT R1 Hawk (pan gasket leaking). From what I see when comparing the removed Filter to those on one of Bob Johnstone's tech pages, it's the original Filter. When I dropped the pan, a 6"x6" / L-shaped hollow steel tube fell out with the filter. Not sure where it came from. The thin spring metal filter retainer clip was still hanging there but I have no idea where the tube came from. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks, Harv
    StudeBakerHarv
    * 1950 Champion Starlight Coupe (Cathcart Stg 4 Engine).
    * 1971 Avanti II (RQB-1659).
    * 1960 Lark Regal VIII Convertible.

This could be the oil cooler return pipe. It pushes into rear cooler line paralleling oil pan rail and passes in front of the front servo[ round thing with lever with adjusting screw. Should just tap back in with plastic mallet, a bright flashlite will help you find locations. Good Luck Lou Cote

Comment

Lou, I checked and that pipe (about 3/8" diameter) is still in place.
      This tube (a bit smaller at 9/32" dia) is the one and I really can't see where it may go.
      I'm kind of lacking on auto-trans knowledge. Any further ideas would be appreciated.
      Thanks, Harv
      StudeBakerHarv

Comment

A further look at shop manual, shows a lubrication pipe which comes from the front valve body crossing over top of both servos. In the Avanti book a pix is found in powershift section pg. 13 figure 17. If someone out there could scan this it might solve your problem. Lou Cote

Comment

Lou,

Your last statement pointed me to right where the pipe plugs in. I see now, on the reassembly, how it came loose. The spring metal clip that retains the Filter fell with the old metal Filter (heavy with gunk) and pulled the pipe out. It's all back in now and looks correct. New Filter & Gasket from NAPA. Thanks so much for your help Lou. Have a great summer season wrap up in Puget Sound.

Regards, Harv
          StudeBakerHarv

Comment

Working...
          X