Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mechanical Bozo is back ( got carb farts )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Mechanical Bozo is back ( got carb farts )

I still love my 62 hawk but she is trying my patience. OK i got the stromberg professionally rebuilt, new plugs (autolites) new points cap rotor consenser fuel filter and wires.She starts and idles fine but backfires in the carb (orange flames) when you give her a jolt of gas or under load.I think i might be this vaccume thing, is there supposed to some suction in the hose from the dist. to the carb? (I said I am a mechanical bozo) It doesnt seem to matter if that hoes is attached or not so i suspect that vaccume hose is doing nothin. Also when i got the car it had a full tank of gas but i assume it had been sitting quite awhile.Got a little water out of the exhaust.Would gas dryer help? Let me know what you smart guys think. Thanks in advance for the help

Yes, there should be vacuum to the distributor. That is what advances the timing when the RPMs go up. If it doesn't seem to make any difference if the hose is hooked up or not, then I would guess that your vacuum advance has failed. It is also possible that the vacuum hose is plugged. It is normal to see water come out of the exhaust when the engine is running, but not warmed up. Water is a byproduct of the combustion of gasoline, as is carbon monoxide. Up here in the northern midwest we have "black ice" in the wintertime, which is this exhaust water frozen to the roadway. By the way, I like the word "vacuum". That word (and its derivatives) is the only word in English that has two "u"s in a row!

Comment

Thanks Whacker, and thanks for the correct spelling of vacuum. Whats the fix for a failed vacuum advance?

Comment

I really doubt that the vacuum whether working or not would cause what you describe. There will not be any vacuum with the car idling, only when it is revved up a few rpm's. One way to tell if it is working or not is put a rubber hose over the vacuum line coming from the distributor and suck on it. If it holds then it is probably ok.

What I would check first is that the plug wires are on correctly. Starting with number one wire (front driver side) and follow around the distributor cap counter clockwise and the wires should be on the following plugs starting with number 1; 8, 4, 3, 6, 5, 7, and 2 in that order. Odd cylinders are on the driver side and even on the passenger side.

My guess is you may have two wires on the wrong plugs. If not, hasn't cost anything except a few minutes time.

Ted

Comment

I'm eternally indebted to you Chicken Hawk (Ted).You explained the fireing order so even I could figure it out.Sure enough 2 wires were crossed, now it runs like a champ or i should I say like a Hawk.Three days of frustration fixed in 5 minutes.Thank you Ted.

Dudebaker

Comment

Gee, this forum is truly amazing, less than 5 hours after posing your query/problem the car is running fine. Good Luck with it.
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
            X