Looking for a truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a truck

After considering every model Studebaker ever made and what I can afford, I've decided I want another Studebaker truck. (I still have the old Scotsman that I'll finish someday, but it's a long ways from done and I don't have a shop where I can work on it.) A nice, "weathered" pickup will do just fine. Preferably a V8 or Big Six powered 3/4 ton 49-59 C Cab with Overdrive. If anyone knows of such a truck that can be had reasonably, I'll be in the market soon. Heck, I'd even trade my trusty F150 for one I could use for a daily driver.

Any ideas on what I could expect to pay for a solid, decent example? I don't want a perfect one, just one that I could drive anywhere and not worry about scratches or paint chips. Mechanicals aren't too important if the rest of the truck is nice. I'd rather have the engine rebuilt than do body and paint work.

Something about like this:
    Last edited by mbstude; 08-31-2011, 10:54 AM.

Did you call on this one, Matthew? Or, it may be more work than you can do right now. It does/did seem to be worth the money:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-1-650-(w-pics)
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I like that 3/4 Ton longbed R series Truck, someone was wise to order a LEFT hand sidemount, instead of the usual Right side, that when you look over your shoulder to the right you cannot see much.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Did you call on this one, Matthew? Or, it may be more work than you can do right now. It does/did seem to be worth the money:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-1-650-(w-pics)
        That's a good price, but more of a project than I can/want to deal with. A long wheel base Transtar would fit the bill, however.

Comment

I just saw this on Indianapolis craigslist for 1250.

Comment

Ken Smith wants to sell his Mopar powered 50. Josh and I cranked it up a few days ago. Still runs and sounds great.
            Neil Thornton

Comment

Ken's truck is a little too rough. And I want a long wheel base and Stude power.

Comment

May need to bite the bullet and use that free want ad in Turning Wheels. It's the only way to get the message out there to 13,000 people.

Or, you could just drop a self-serving line or two in your monthly article. Save the free ad until it's really needed.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

57 Transtar?

If you drop Brian Curtis a line (The Pacific Can-Am Zone Coordinator - e-mail address in TW), he was telling me about a mechanically sound '57 Transtar in the Washington area that may be for sale shortly. I don't know if it's a 1/2 or 3/4 ton though.
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

My older brother has a 49 half ton, with Stude 289, T85, and Ford 9" rear end. It also has AC, and a nice stereo. It is far from show quality, but is a nice looking old truck, Bad news is, he has no intention of selling it. He and his wife were seriously contemplating driving it to Alaska this year to visit his daughter there, but its getting a little late inthe year for that.
                    Joe H

Comment

I found this '55 today. Right under my nose... Less than 2 miles from home. Way too rough for me though.

Comment

I hope you got a tetanus shot if you cut your nose on it, Matthew. BP
                        Last edited by BobPalma; 09-02-2011, 11:33 AM. Reason: fellow speling nazi corrected tetanus! <GGG>
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

1949 STUDEBAKER TRUCK - $1500 (LIZELLA, GA)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Date: 2011-08-28, 6:51AM EDT
                          Reply to: sale-b7x9y-2545173583@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR SALE: 1949 Studebaker 3/4 ton, long bed truck, has original engine and may run, missing seat and has rust in cab corners. $1500 OBO
                          Also have for sale: 1937 Pontiac coupe project. Body only, no motor/transmission, new floor pans. Would make a nice Hot Rod. $2400.00 OBO , 1951 Henry J that needs total restoration, it does have original motor, would make a nice hot rod $1600 OBO , 1948 Dodge 3 Window Coupe with GM running gear, new floor pans $4500 OBO , 1941 Diamond Rio Cab & front end, Rat Rod Project $850 OBO , 1946 Chevrolet disassembled rat rod project with bed, fenders and frame $1000 OBO No emails, If interested, call JD at 478-731-0135. Please, no calls after 9 p.m.
                          NO SCAMS. I DON'T NEED INSURANCE OR HELP SELLING.

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

1949 STUDEBAKER TRUCK - $1500 (LIZELLA, GA)

Date: 2011-08-28, 6:51AM EDT
                          Reply to: sale-b7x9y-2545173583@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

FOR SALE: 1949 Studebaker 3/4 ton, long bed truck, has original engine and may run, missing seat and has rust in cab corners. $1500 OBO
                          Also have for sale: 1937 Pontiac coupe project. Body only, no motor/transmission, new floor pans. Would make a nice Hot Rod. $2400.00 OBO , 1951 Henry J that needs total restoration, it does have original motor, would make a nice hot rod $1600 OBO , 1948 Dodge 3 Window Coupe with GM running gear, new floor pans $4500 OBO , 1941 Diamond Rio Cab & front end, Rat Rod Project $850 OBO , 1946 Chevrolet disassembled rat rod project with bed, fenders and frame $1000 OBO No emails, If interested, call JD at 478-731-0135. Please, no calls after 9 p.m.
                          NO SCAMS. I DON'T NEED INSURANCE OR HELP SELLING.

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
                          Jack White
                          Charlotte,NC
                          North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Matthew, I have sent you an email.
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

This looks like a very solid truck. Paint may be faded but still a great looking original truck.
                              TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

Working...
                              X