Excellent Info RE: E-10 fuel & additive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excellent Info RE: E-10 fuel & additive

I decided to place this in the Studebaker section because, quite frankly, there is no issue about which we have more Turning Wheels Co-Operator correspondence than problems with contemporary gasoline, especially the E-10 that seems to be just about all that's available. (Many forum members do not access Stove-Huggers on a regular basis -if at all- and would miss this if it was posted there.)

From The Historic Vehicle Association's current monthly e-mail newsletter:

Note that writer Ed Syrocki recommends the following Schaeffer Oil gasoline additive. I've long known about Schaeffer Oil (good products; much experience), but had not heard of this specific additive. I intend to buy and try some; sounds like a good idea.

Schaeffer oil, engine oils, synthetic motor oil, schaeffer oil manufacturing, transmission fluid, fuel additives, engine greases, hydraulic fluids, gear lubricants, industrial oils

'No need for us to get off on our usual "discussion" of ethanol-enhanced gasoline; it just isn't as good for our older, non-FI engines as was the gasoline available when they were new.

Further, I've had hours-long discussions with my freind of many decades, Ron Hewitt, who owns and operates Daytona Parts Company in New Smyrna Beach FL. Ron and his son have been rebuilding collector-car carburetors and supplying parts for same for at least 20-odd years now. The stories he tells of late about carburetors damaged by E-10 are both enlightening and frightening. Ron echos what Mr. Syrocki reports in the linked article from The Historic Vehicle Association, and I dare say they know more about this than any one here on the forum...probably most than all of us combined, actually! <GGG>.

Forewarned is forearmed and all that. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 08-30-2011, 12:20 PM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Thanks for the data, Bob.
    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

So then, is this how to best store my Studebakers for 6 months- full gas tank with this additive? Or something else for storage?
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Sounds like a bottle of #131 Soy Ultra Additive and a bottle of Sta-Bil would fix you right up.
        Be sure to drink lots of water.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

$184.03 a case. Why not buy a bottle of soy bean oil at the grocery store and pour some in?

Comment

$184 a case for 24 bottles of the stuff is roughly $7.65 per bottle.

That's cheaper than the $9.95 per bottle vendors charge for ZDDPlus Oil Additive. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have never heard of E-10 I heard of E-85. is it the same? or called 10 because it is in a different part of the state?

Comment

Originally posted by mookandairin View Post
                I have never heard of E-10 I heard of E-85. is it the same? or called 10 because it is in a different part of the state?
                NO NO NO NO! E-10 is only 10% enthanol and will generally run in our cars and others designed for "regular" gasoline.

E-85 is 85% ethanol and will NOT operate in our cars. In fact, it will damage them in short order.

E-85 is only for vehicles identified as being Flex-Fuel. BP

Comment

is it cheaper to run 10?

Comment

Well if you can actually FIND a Station with E-85, just compare the price to the Regular Unleaded with 10%.

I guesss each State is different, we do not have E-85 in the west, (the old E-85 cars that are still on the road not scrapped yet) run on Regular 10% since they are Flex-Fuel.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Anytime a magic additive comes along, I ask myself, "If it is that simple, proven and available, why haven't the major gasoline/oil companies heard about it and already put it the fuel or the oil?"

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Sta-Bil makes an Ethanol Treatment
                        On their webite they say its...
                        • "Perfect for use in cars, trucks and small engines!
                        • Prevents corrosion
                        • Helps remove water from Fuel
                        • Cleans fuel injectors, carburetors and intake valves for better, overall performance
                        • Recommended for use at every fill up"
                        When they first started advertising this stuff, I emailed the company and asked if it would protect existing systems from the bad effects of ethanol.

Their answer was...No. Their PR woman said nothing could do that.
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                          Anytime a magic additive comes along, I ask myself, "If it is that simple, proven and available, why haven't the major gasoline/oil companies heard about it and already put it the fuel or the oil?"

jack vines
                          Because oil companies couldn't care less about non fuel injected 50 year old cars
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Bob, Thank you for info.. I just signed up the petition on No to E-15 fuel!

Steven

1957 Silver Hawk
                            1967 Corvair coupe
                            1969 Corvair coupe

Comment

Because oil companies couldn't care less about non fuel injected 50 year old cars
                              You could be correct. But then again, the oil companies spend millions on additive packages and advertising them. Seems if it were as simple as a bottle of whizbang juice, some company would step up and do it and get a lot of good publicity.

Your snake oil, your money, your decision.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X