Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebakers @ 2011 Frog Follies 8/27 (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers @ 2011 Frog Follies 8/27 (pics)

If you've got a minute, pop a cold one and sit back and enjoy a too-small snapshot of The 2011 Frog Follies...which might be better known as The Every Iteration of Small-Block-Chevy V8 Show. But there were lots of other things to see, too, and plenty of Studebakers. So many that I had to miss some of them, 'sorry to say.

'Spent Saturday, August 27 at Evansville Indiana's Vanderburg County 4H Fairgrounds at the 37th Annual Frog Follies Hot Rod / Street Rod Show. This event is sponsored by Evansville Iron Hot Rod Club and they do a wonderful job raising money for local charities. Their "biggie" is Easter Seals and, to date, they've given over $1,000,000 of event proceeds to Easter Seals through the years; $80,000 from last year's Frog Follies alone!

I have no idea where the event name originated. However, given the proximity to streams and rivers and the venue's rolling topography in extreme SW Indiana near the Ohio and Wabash Rivers, I can imagine the grounds were conducive to frogs at one time....probably still are, too, except during the last weekend in August, and whenever they have the Vanderburg County 4H Fair every year.

Some people take this quite seriously with hundreds of frog-themed decorations throught the fairgrounds:

This is a street rod event, so participants in the actual car show are strictly limited to 1948 and earlier vehicles...as you can -ahem- see here:

(Of course, all the organizers can do is take the word of the participant entering the show, that the vehicle was manufactured in 1948 or earlier...I didn't see any model year police circulating the grounds...)

Naturally, there were many legitimate Studebakers that qualified:

Many of us saw this beautiful 383-MoPar powered President at Springfield:

Throughout the car show, there are simply thousands of cars everywhere:

On the exit road, where we park our folding chairs and watch the cars go by as they leave:

SDCer / ASCer Ford Stoecker and his one-of-none, Dodge-rear-bodied Sedan Delivery with GMC "Jimmy" in-line six power, Wayne head, and Fuel Injection! Ford is one super engineer:

Oops! Two of 'em, that almost got away!

Pretty much "anything goes" in the Swap Meet; post-1948 vehicles may be bought and sold so long as you pays your money:

No engine or transmission in this Champ, but a fairly solid unit:

A forlorn '55 Commander, but it supposedly ran:

The same seller had a 1952 Champion Starliner alongside the Commander:

And another '52:

I've heard of a California Chop. Is this a Kentucky Chop?:

'Looked for Matthew Burnette at the show and followed the sign, but didn't find him:

And before you complain about Studebaker parts prices, price a twice-mashed 1955 Chevy deck lid for $200:

Finally, a Pop Quiz. No prize offered, though, because I have no idea what the answer might be.

Question: If you had a Model A Ford pickup:

How fast do you think it would go if your removed the 4-cylinder engine and replaced it with a smallish, single-cylinder Kohler(?).

I dunno the answer, either!

Overall, a fun day in the sun.

I know I missed some Studebakers. Even if a person was there all three days, I don't think you could see every car. That's because there are people coming and going through multiple entrances and exits all three days, and the grounds are such that people park all over the place in the sun, shade, rolling terrain, near the creeks or ponds, on the high ground, etc.

Sadly, I did not see a single Studebaker V8-powered rod. I'm sure there were some, maybe even some of the Studebakers themselves, but there was not enough time to wait for owners to come around and open every hood on the premises. My apologies to all the Studebakers -cars and/or engines- I did not capture. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 08-29-2011, 09:22 AM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Lots of fun. Thanks, Bob. It is the summer of the Studebaker
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I thought the Street Rod association had opened the door to later models?

Maybe just locally?
      sigpic
      Dave Lester

Comment

A Wayned-Jimmy that's got efi in a Stude engine compartment with that (rare)humped Dodge sedan delivery backend???? Ya gotta love it...and I want it. Thanks for sharing Bob. Junior
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

"This is a street rod event, so participants in the actual car show are strictly limited to 1948 and earlier vehicles...as you can -ahem- see here:"

That "Bullet Nose" might qualify. A big thing in the Street Rod community is taking a 47-48 Studebaker and putting on a 50 or 51 front clip, "because Studebaker should have built the 47-48 that way in the first place" and because it is fairly easy to upgrade to the Iconic Studebaker Look.

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
            I thought the Street Rod association had opened the door to later models?

Maybe just locally?
            An interesting thing about this event, Dave, is that Evansville Iron has resisted its being taken over by NSRA, who has tried to get their hands on this lucrative event for years, I understand.

Therefore, rules remain whatever The Evansville Iron group dictates. From what I understand and have observed the two years I have attended, that is a good thing. It has remained extremely popular because it is so family-friendly. There's an unbelievable number of things for kids to do, and the prices for an event like this are by far the lowest you'll see. They keep a tight reign on participant and visitor costs.

There's no charge for parking as a spectator, and admission is only $5 per head for the day; certainly more than fair.

Among vendor prices anywhere on the grounds are the following:

Cold bottled water, 20 ounce minimum: $1.
            12 (maybe it is 16) ounce cold draft soft drinks with ice: $1.
            24 (maybe it is 30) ounce cold draft soft drinks with ice: $1.50

Hot Dogs or Corn Dogs: $1.50
            Hamburger: $2.00
            Cheeseburger, Chicken, or Pork Barbeque Sandwich: $2.50
            Onion Rings, large serving: $2.00

Ice Cream Drumstick: $1.
            Pint of Ice Cream, assorted flavors: $2.50

Now, seriously, if NSRA took over the event, do you think those would be the admission, parking, and concession prices? <GGG> BP
            Last edited by BobPalma; 08-29-2011, 12:10 PM.
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

BP,
              Does Wernsman's Nursery grow a lot of those green Model A Pick-ups?
              1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by FlatheadGeo View Post
                BP,
                Does Wernsman's Nursery grow a lot of those green Model A Pick-ups?
                'Beats me, George; they're from Centralia, 'way downstate Illinois.

I can't imagine them having driven that truck from Centralia to Evansville IN, that's for sure! BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  An interesting thing about this event, Dave, is that Evansville Iron has resisted its being taken over by NSRA, who has tried to get their hands on this lucrative event for years, I understand.

Therefore, rules remain whatever The Evansville Iron group dictates. <snip>
                  Sounds like a deal... just to clarify NSRA rules, though, they have changed, and cars 30 years old are now eligilble. (1981 and older this year, '82 and older next year.)
                  Now, seriously, if NSRA took over the event, do you think those would be the admission, parking, and concession prices? <GGG> BP
                  I'm not qualified to answer that, but I have never had a bad experience at a NSRA event. Sounds like the Evansville group has a scald on their event, fer sure!
                  sigpic
                  Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                    Sounds like a deal... just to clarify NSRA rules, though, they have changed, and cars 30 years old are now eligilble. (1981 and older this year, '82 and older next year.)
                    Interesting, Dave; I had not heard that...but I'm not moving in NSRA-type circles, either. Thanks for the info.

Now, I'm trying to imagine a 1981 Chevrolet Citation X-11 coupe street rod. Nothing is computing so far...<GGG> BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      Now, I'm trying to imagine a 1981 Chevrolet Citation X-11 coupe street rod. Nothing is computing so far...<GGG> BP
                      I agree!!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                      X