• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lamberti papers #14

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

2. Hawk for the New York Show

This black Hawk is due to come over to Engineering sometime this afternoon. We have all the trim ready to install, including the carpet. This is a special black Hawk with white interior and pebble vinyl cemented on the roof. The car will leave here on the 11th.
    Interesting to see the Black Hawk now mentioned in the minutes. I wonder how much extra it really cost Studebaker to make these modifications to what was otherwise a regular prodution Hawk in Velvet Black.

Craig

Comment

In the Section Number 2 .National Safety Drive , the Minutes of the Meeting seem to
      be saying that an Avanti that had already been sent to Kentucky receiving a 'Safety
      Sticker' as part of the program was to be sent back down to show Dignitaries at the
      Kentucky Derby and then sent off for Sale as a "POLICE MARSHALL" . Did this happen ?
      Are there photographs of an Avanti decked out in Police Livery . All most interesting !

CRUISER

Comment

Thanks again, Dick; most interesting, as usual.

RE: The following from this morning's installment:

1. Mobilgas Economy Run

Our effort in the run this year was to avoid duplication of what happened in the runs in Florida where the dealer entered, but the car didn’t even run. On the Mobil Economy Run, even if you don’t participate, your car is entered anyway. We changed over from the 6 to the 8, and Bill Corey entered. He ran 5th in his class at 20-56 mpg – the Buick was the winner. The press car was a sister car which they drove in accordance with the rules, and they averaged 23.2 mpg, which would have put that car in second place. With professional drivers, it would probably have taken first place. Its high day was 24.89, which was higher than any day for the Buick. Granatelli prepared this car. The Corey practice car did 23-24 mpg. These cars are in South Bend now. (Corey said the entry car ran fine.) Mr. Dredge doesn’t feel we are in a hopeless position with the V8 because cars it ran against did about the same mileage this year that they did last year. He tried to establish a 2-door sports class next year where we might put in the Avanti and/or the Hawk. There was some interest with Mobil and USAC in that area; in fact, there was some interest this year, but nobody pushed it. The Press cars were an R2 station wagon, an Avanti, and the economy car. The official camera car for the run was a wagon. It broke a tab off the alternator and required an emergency repair. There were a few miscellaneous items of repair and complaints: heater and blower noise. There was an undue amount of noise from the alternator – probably from the alternator bearings – in all the cars.

I'll bet you a dollar that specific R2 Wagonaire is Serial Number 63V18524. Check out its build order on Page 8 of the July 2009 Turning Wheels; the David Blackmer interview. It was sent to Santa Monica CA for Sales Promotion work, and then to Car Life for a road test in the June 1963 issue. Currently restored and accounted for within SDC, too! <G> BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I found the reference to putting a diesel into a '64 Pick-up interesting, its too bad that did not happen.

Just think what dropping a Cummings Diesel into a pick-up did for Dodge and their tired old pick-up in the 90s. It re-launched their Pick-up line, that came out with a new body style 2 years later.

Comment

A Turtle went to Italy?

(Must have been a post Turtle )
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Seems strange to me that ordering stationary would rise to this corporate level.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Sure it wasn't "Citizens AGAINST Studebaker"?

1. Citizens for Studebaker

Mr. Challinor told of damage being done to cars on display in connection with the Citizens for Studebaker program. He said a beer bottle had been thrown through the windshield of an Avanti, there was a broken window in one of the campers, and a number of additional items of minor damage that his people are repairing. He stopped some kids from taking a radio out of a car at Shoppers’ Fair on Saturday – there was nobody attending the cars.

Comment

Reading these Lamberti Papers is so sad, it's like watching a family member's slow death and knowing that there is nothing you can do...
                  Lou Van Anne
                  62 Champ
                  64 R2 GT Hawk
                  79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                    Seems strange to me that ordering stationary would rise to this corporate level.
                    I agree and some of the other comments in previous posts. But I think it shows they were watching every penny that they could.

Comment

Believe it or not; the cost of paper goods in any corp is big bucks!!! Not just stationery; but toilet paper, coffee filters, paper towels, phone message pads, passes, etc.
                      1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by FlatheadGeo View Post
                        Believe it or not; the cost of paper goods in any corp is big bucks!!! Not just stationery; but toilet paper, coffee filters, paper towels, phone message pads, passes, etc.
                        In 1963, the all new 46627 Zip Code would have had to been included on all stationery that had Studeabker's mailing address as well as new all-numeric 7-digit telephone number. This would have necessitated a larger than nornal expense in that department.

Craig

Comment

With regard to "Item 3. Hoods Flying Open", I'm puzzled by this with regard to the Avanti. I suspect that the flat being referred to is that of the upper area of the dovetail that was removed. This change appeared on '64's but did not appear in Avanti production until mid-August '63. If this was the change referenced then it took 'till Aug. to use up old inventory. The safety latch item, whatever it means, must not apply to the Avanti. Any other ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
                            With regard to "Item 3. Hoods Flying Open", I'm puzzled by this with regard to the Avanti. I suspect that the flat being referred to is that of the upper area of the dovetail that was removed. This change appeared on '64's but did not appear in Avanti production until mid-August '63. If this was the change referenced then it took 'till Aug. to use up old inventory. The safety latch item, whatever it means, must not apply to the Avanti. Any other ideas?
                            I am a little stumped by this too...one possibility is that the hood latch on the LARK was re-designed part-way through the '63 model year The safetly latch was spun a quarter around to prevent the hood from flying open.
                            Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                            \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Thanks again Mr. Quinn for letting me be a fly on the Board Room wall. Saying that these 'Lamberti papers' are "interesting" would be a gross understatement. I will patiently await your next installment.
                              sigpic
                              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Working...
                              X