Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A level of service and detail like no other! A great Studebaker Vendor story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A level of service and detail like no other! A great Studebaker Vendor story.

I made a road trip to the show @ Summit Racing today. Besides seeing a bunch of fine Studebaker friends and their cars, I met Jim Lawrence and picked up our seats. It just happened that he was going there for another purpose and brought our seats. I can't say enough about the quality of work he did!
    Unknown to me,the seats had mouse nests in them from being in storage so long. (they were barn find items) The seat foam smelled like mouse pizz and the seat springs were nasty where the nests were located.I was embarrased to say the least.
    Jim removed all the old seat foam,burlap and batting, then blasted ALL the seat frames and springs clean and painted them black! Next new seat foam was installed along with brand new clean batting and burlap where needed to make them better than new. Then the custom designed seat covers were sewed up and installed. I also forgot to mention the front seat frame was bent, so he straightened it before cleaning and paint and then he disassembled the seat track slides. Next they were cleaned, bad rollers were replaced and the units were painted and assembled with a grease job to make sure they move effortlessly!
    All I expected was a set of driver quality seat covers and what I got was far above and beyond what was expected! Nothing was half azzed, and the cost was beyond fair. (This is not a paid endorsement BTW,I just have never gotten this level of detail from ANY shop here in town, and I have $pent good money around here in the past) The pictures show before and after, but you really have to see them on person. They are really too good to put in our car. LOL- I am going to have to raise the level of quality of my work to match his seats. We are extremely happy with Jim's work and would recommend FBN Upholstery to anyone. Here are some misc. pics that demonstrate his work.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AKAchamptrucking; 08-27-2011, 06:40 PM.

Good news, good report!

Which car are these beautiful seats going in, Rich?
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Comment

Wow! Jim Lawrence does nice work! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Agreed! Jim does excellent work and at very reasonable prices. I think Jim takes the Studebaker slogan \: "Give more than you promise" to heart!
        He did the trim in my 63 Avanti as well, and it looks great

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

I've been sayin'! And he's a great guy to boot! Does a lot more than upholstery too, including steering column to cowl seals for Larks. And, you should see his dash pads!

Another fantastic job, Jim!
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Who is Jim Lawrence?

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
              Who is Jim Lawrence?
              Mr. & Mrs. Lawrence's son.

Comment

Looks good Rich, seats look great and how is the wagon coming? I know how projects can go and would it be ready for the International in 2012?
                Tom
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MRHawkes View Post
                  Mr. & Mrs. Lawrence's son.
                  LOL!!!!! Jim is FBN Upholstery
                  Dave they are going into the 63 Wagonaire I am putting together for my wife. It is the car Bob Andrews saved from the crusher then sold to us. Here are a couple of misc. pictures. I have installed new bushings and Turner discs on the front suspension, installed new rear leaf springs and a flanged 331 model 44,ran new brake lines and a fuel line,fixed the rusted out floorand installed a new rocker on the pass side and cut the right rear quarter off in preperation for the used rear quarter skin I got from Bob in California. I also have started installing a new wire harness. A tailgate has been repaired and is ready for install. I am in the process of fixing a few areas on the drivers side floor that the prior owner had fixed that I don't like.Then I have to cut the rear quarter off that side and prep it for the NOS left rear skin I have. I will probably end up with a spare used LR quarter panel for this project in the end. Still have a lot of work to do! I also swapped the motor and transmission before the dog house was hung. That left front fender was originally off my 61 Lark,and the used right front came from Lee DeLaBarre. The doors came off the prior 66 Wagonaire we had. One day it might be a decent cruiser LOL.
                  Attached Files

Comment

The car is looking good but... I really like the hoist. Electric or Pneumatic?

Allen
                    1964 GT Hawk
                    PSMCDR 2014
                    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                    PSMCDR 2013
                    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Car might be ready for that meet! We will try. That hoist is electric over hydraulic,110 Volt. It was a steal @ $500 from a friend of mine. Right place at the right time. LOL Even bought it out from under the X wife's husband because I was first with the money HEE HEEEE

Comment

Very nice work indeed, Rich!
                        sigpic
                        Dave Lester

Comment

I think it is safe to say there is nothing fly by night about FBN. TOP NOTCH IMO!
                          Jim S.
                          Last edited by LarkTruck; 08-29-2011, 05:45 AM.
                          I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by AKAchamptrucking View Post
                            Car might be ready for that meet! We will try. That hoist is electric over hydraulic,110 Volt. It was a steal @ $500 from a friend of mine. Right place at the right time. LOL Even bought it out from under the X wife's husband because I was first with the money HEE HEEEE
                            This story reminds me of when we were selling our Boston Whaler. Two guys wanted it. One was newly divorced and the other fellow was the ex-wife's new boyfriend. The ex-wife did not want her former husband to get the boat. I liked the ex and threw into the deal several quarts of oil, etc. and he was happy to get it all and I was happy for him! He surely enjoyed fishing more than being in court!
                            "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                              Who is Jim Lawrence?
                              Who is Jim Lawrence

There are 3 Jim (James) Lawrence in the latest SDC Roster Turning Wheels FBN Upholstery/Jim Lawrencehttp://www.studebakervendors.com/ but no "FBN Upholstery/Jim LawrenceFBN UpholsteryFBN UpholsteryBut seriously, what does it take to become a "Studebaker Vendor?" I once rented space at a Studebaker swap meet. Does that make me a "Studebaker Vendor?" Is there an official SDC (or even some unofficial) listing of Studebaker Vendors???

Comment

Working...
                              X