Need Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Engine

Anyone have .......or know where I can find a 185 engine for my 50 Champion ? I'm in South Georgia.
    Thanks

While people are reading this post does any one may have a 185 engine or crank in the Los Angeles area? I have a 170 from a 59 and a 0.030 over 170 from a 53 and would like to use the pistons from the 53 in the 59 block and believe this would be the easiest way to do this. Any ideas?

Comment

There are some things that are better left as designed, I do not see '53 170 Pistons in a '59 170 Block working with a 185 Crank.

There is a reason the small 6 Pistons were redesigned many times from '47 to '64, there were many problems with them breaking, and they may have finally got it right with the 1964 redesign.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 08-30-2011, 04:13 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You cannot use the 169 pistons with the 185 crank. The 185 pistons are a little more that an 1/8" shorter in the skirt and there is a relief cut out just below the wrist pin so the counterweight on the crankshaft does not hit the piston. I got pictures at home.
        1936 Dictator
        1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
        1953 Commander Regal HT
        1953 2R5 Pickup
        1947 M16 Truck
        1960 Lark VIII Convertible
        1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
        1962 Champ 7E5 no box
        1962 GT Hawk
        1963 Lark VI 4 dr
        1963 GT Hawk R2
        1964 Daytona Convertible
        1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

There is a Commander engine on ebay, newly rebuilt...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-S...item19c86cb79d
          1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
          See rescue progress here on this blog:
          http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was under the impression the the 64 was the worst year for wear and problems with the pistons. The 53 pistons may not be 1953 design but beside that I was going to relieve the skirts to allow the combination to work. It has been done before. I would have to pull the pistons to verify one way or the other. A 185 uses the same block as a 59 170 does it not? And the same compression height and bore as a 53 170? So, it would only be the skirt that would be an issue.

Comment

For all the work you are planning to go through, it seems like you would be ahead just to buy new, correct pistons. You only want to do this once, don't you?

Comment

If you are planning to build a 185 flathead or ohv, you need the 185 crank and the 185 pistons from 55-58. Use a die grinder at the base of the bores so the connecting rods wont wack the block and you're set

Ron Dame is one of the recent 185 builders albeit an ohv 185.

Jeff T.
                \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                The Replacements.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff T. View Post
                  If you are planning to build a 185 flathead or ohv, you need the 185 crank and the 185 pistons from 55-58. Use a die grinder at the base of the bores so the connecting rods wont wack the block and you're set

Ron Dame is one of the recent 185 builders albeit an ohv 185.

Jeff T.
                  Yes I do, and I like it..it's not 259, but it is an improvement. The late blocks have a different deck height that allowed the use of the 185 crank but 169.5 pistons. Then Studebaker went back to 170 CI and had to change pistons to accommodate the new deck height. I don't explain it well on line, but you DO use the early 170 (169.5) pistons with a 185 crank in a late block. a 185 OHV runs great!
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs27 View Post
                    Anyone have .......or know where I can find a 185 engine for my 50 Champion ? I'm in South Georgia.
                    Thanks
                    I've got a 170 cid out of my 50 Champion, actually I have the whole drivetrain. If you are interested in any of it PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                      While people are reading this post does any one may have a 185 engine or crank in the Los Angeles area? I have a 170 from a 59 and a 0.030 over 170 from a 53 and would like to use the pistons from the 53 in the 59 block and believe this would be the easiest way to do this. Any ideas?
                      I have an old 6 in my warehouse, you're welcome to it

Comment

Working...
                      X