Josh& Papa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josh& Papa

We have been working on Josh's lark off and on all week. Almost everything works now. Lights, brakes, blinkers, even backup lights. All the tires hold air except one has a slow leak, so we have to park it near the air hose. The tires are old and weather cracked although they have lots of tread. We have been driving it on the farm roads, up and down some dirt roads, Even ventured onto the pavement a time or two.
    Josh's Mama and Grandma have been worried about those tires. Especially with Josh(11) driving. On the farm roads of course.
    Yesterday while Josh and I were working on the Lark his dad pulled up and told him it was time to go home for supper. Then he said "By the way. I brought you these." He dropped his tailgate to reveal a new set of tires already mounted on new Ford wheels . He said "I bought these for the Studillac, but don't like them on it. The whitewall is too small. Put them on your Lark."
    Josh was a happy little kid! Today after school, Josh comes running in asking "Papa can we change my tires?"
    So I spent my Friday evening teaching Josh how to change tires with a small hydraulic jack and a 4 way lug wrench. The floor jacks, and air wrenchs are at the shop in town, and the car is at the Farm.
    Good beginning to the weekend.
    Last edited by rockinhawk; 08-26-2011, 06:23 PM.
    Neil Thornton

I sure do like to hear things like this. Thanks for sharing. You jus gotta get us some pictures.

Comment

Yes , I need to get a camera and learn how to post pics. Or let josh learn how to do it .
      Neil Thornton

Comment

Nice story.

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
          Yes , I need to get a camera and learn how to post pics. Or let josh learn how to do it .
          'Far easier to let Josh learn how to do it, Neil. He probably knows half of it already! Good story, too; thanks. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Twenty-five years ago, Neil was helping me with my Lark, in the same front yard, driving (pushing) it down the same back roads, and venturing onto the same paved roads. At the time, I was too young to notice (or care) that lessons were being taught, not just about cars, but things that translate into every day life: appreciation for quality built autos, pride in doing something for yourself, strength in pushing through when things break down, holding your head up when things break down in the middle of town at red lights ( it was best to go ahead and get over any embarrassment, since it WOULD happen again, and again...). Josh likely isn't noticing these life lessons either. It sometimes takes a LONG time to realize how blessed you've been to have had such a good daddy/papa when you start looking back at life and realize that not everybody was as fortunate as you. Here's to you daddy, and the countless Larks, and little minds you've helped get off the ground. Love you!

Comment

I'll second that "here's to you Neil. Met Neil at the S E zone meet, and I kinda got the feelin' about the
              guy he is. I had the same thing with my Dad and Grandad. I grew up learnin' things I didn't know I was
              learnin' at the time. They are both gone now and I am the Dad and Papa. I only wish I could be as good
              at life as they were. All yall young one's take notice, and enjoy it for all it's worth. You will be glad you
              did later in life. GO NEIL

Comment

Today was one of those days that not everything goes well. Trying to install the front parking lights in a Lark. There's got to be a trick to it that I haven't figured out yet. Put them aside for now.
                We have been running a temp. gas supply. A boat gas tank in the trunk with an electric pump wired into the tail lights. Simple system. Turn on the park lights, crank it up.
                Josh didn't like the clickety-clickety and wanted to put it all back like it was supposed to be. Today we cleaned the tank, checked it for leaks and painted it. Put it all back with new rubber lines.Metal seemed ok.
                Awhile back I had bought a NOS fuel pump off Ebay. My first time to install a fuel pump on an early Lark with power steering. If you are gonna do it just go ahead and and take the P/S pump off and get it out of the way!!
                after getting all things done and put back togather, GUESS WHAT!! The fuel pump doesn't work!
                Old "Sally" fired up and ran untill it used all the gas out of the wcfb then died. No fuel going to the carb.
                We'll deal with that another time...along with the park lights.
                Neil Thornton

Comment

Geesh, Neil, how obvious does it have to be? The front lights (get ready, sit down, take a breath) ARE OUT OF GAS!!!! Oh, gosh, I'm laughing myself silly. I'm sorry, I couldn't help it.

OK, seriously now, one of my first experiences here was discussion by members and Matt's Mom about his 'current' discipline of being restricted from the forum. I learned about Neil, Matt's Mom and Matt and have grown to love you all. I have a feeling the elders are fertilizing the seeds of the future SDC. I'm gonna go cry in the corner now........................

Comment

Teaching him to change a tire with a jack and lug wrench is a good thing. Dad made my sisters and me learn to change a tire before we got our licenses.
                    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
                      Teaching him to change a tire with a jack and lug wrench is a good thing. Dad made my sisters and me learn to change a tire before we got our licenses.
                      how times change!!! last time i serviced my 20 yr. old daughter's c@ddy cts, i was placing a can of fix-a-flat in her trunk when she said: "i don't need that, i'll just call AAA"...
                      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Got her going again. Put the electric back on. this time we bolted it to the frame and it's pulling gas from the tank. Still wired into the tail lights but we'll fix that soon. Josh is smileing again.
                        Neil Thornton

Comment

[QUOTE=rockinhawk;573025]Today was one of those days that not everything goes well. Trying to install the front parking lights in a Lark. There's got to be a trick to it that I haven't figured out yet. Put them aside for now.

Got those parking light grills in today. Yes there is a trick to it. You must remove the grill and the headlights. get a 11/32 box end wrench with just the right offset angle(might require some vise and hammer work) and be very patient. NT
                          Last edited by rockinhawk; 08-31-2011, 02:15 PM.
                          Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                          X