Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SDC Member Intro

Hi folks,
    Been lurking a while and thought I should introduce myself and my first "almost" Stude. Avanti RQA 0088 is a 1966 Avanti II I purchased late this last winter. We've done a little cleanup and a few additions in the restomod vein. The car is driven about 350 miles a week in the Southern Illinois area and has been a blast. Love to hear what you think and any tips you might wish to pass on.

Jim

Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt
    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

That's a very sharp looking car. I like it, and I'm not even an Avanti guy. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

That's a very sharp looking car. I like it, and I'm not even an Avanti guy. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
      '59 Scotsman
      '63 Daytona
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Nice looking Avanti.Never seen a surge tank like that before.Going to bring it to South Bend?

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
        64 Avanti R3w/NOS
        88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

Nice looking Avanti.Never seen a surge tank like that before.Going to bring it to South Bend?

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
          64 Avanti R3w/NOS
          88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

The surge tank looks like a 1960's Ford tank. That is exactly what they use to use on all their v-8's. I had one on my 1965 500. 390CI 4 spd. Memories,Memories.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
            Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

The surge tank looks like a 1960's Ford tank. That is exactly what they use to use on all their v-8's. I had one on my 1965 500. 390CI 4 spd. Memories,Memories.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
              Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

Here are a couple of different angles of the engine bay. I've seen a couple other Avanti II's with the same tank.

Still trying to work South Bend into my schedule. It will be the last of the week, if I can make it.

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Here are a couple of different angles of the engine bay. I've seen a couple other Avanti II's with the same tank.

Still trying to work South Bend into my schedule. It will be the last of the week, if I can make it.

Jim

Comment

Welcome to the forum, many have been lurking, all welcome

quote:Originally posted by jlmccuan

Hi folks,
                    Been lurking a while and thought I should introduce myself and my first "almost" Stude. Avanti RQA 0088 is a 1966 Avanti II I purchased late this last winter. We've done a little cleanup and a few additions in the restomod vein. The car is driven about 350 miles a week in the Southern Illinois area and has been a blast. Love to hear what you think and any tips you might wish to pass on.

Jim

Comment

Welcome to the forum, many have been lurking, all welcome

quote:Originally posted by jlmccuan

Hi folks,

Jim

Comment

If you haven't joined a chapter (or two) now's the time to do it.
                        For thse early in trhe game, it's monty well spet. For lder members, it's worth the money and great for companionship.
                        Karl Haas (40 year member) Member of two chapters -5000 miles apart!

Comment

If you haven't joined a chapter (or two) now's the time to do it.
                          For thse early in trhe game, it's monty well spet. For lder members, it's worth the money and great for companionship.
                          Karl Haas (40 year member) Member of two chapters -5000 miles apart!

Comment

Actually, guys, the device you are referring to as a surge tank on this car, [u]isn't</u>. It is simply a coolant reservoir, an integral part of this car's (and the Fords referenced) cooling system(s).

A surge tank, as seen on virtually all vehicles today, allows the cooling system to "burp" when hot, yet retain the burped coolant, to be drawn back into the system when the engine cools down. This allows the closed part of the cooling system to be completely full when cold.

The tank on this Avanti, if filled completely when cold, would cause the car to burp onto the roadway when fully warmed up...unless there is a true surge tank attached to the coolant overflow hose! I can't see if the overflow hose leads into a surge tank or simply exits to the ground in these photos.

Nice car, Jim; welcome aboard! BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Actually, guys, the device you are referring to as a surge tank on this car, [u]isn't</u>. It is simply a coolant reservoir, an integral part of this car's (and the Fords referenced) cooling system(s).

A surge tank, as seen on virtually all vehicles today, allows the cooling system to "burp" when hot, yet retain the burped coolant, to be drawn back into the system when the engine cools down. This allows the closed part of the cooling system to be completely full when cold.

The tank on this Avanti, if filled completely when cold, would cause the car to burp onto the roadway when fully warmed up...unless there is a true surge tank attached to the coolant overflow hose! I can't see if the overflow hose leads into a surge tank or simply exits to the ground in these photos.

Nice car, Jim; welcome aboard! BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X