Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mastercylinder rebuild

Just a quick question...
    First, long time no speak... I am lurking and very busy on my 40... just not posting a lot as my pictures all seem redundant.

Anyway...
    I ordered a new mastercylinder, but I am also rebuilding the old one. I picked up a rebuild kit. My question is this: How do you pull the inner sleeve out of the housing after you remove the lock ring and washer immediately below it?

Looking it over, it seems to be in awesome shape so I don't want to damage it removing it. I basically want to take it apart, clean it and reassemble it. I took the hill holder off and have the master cylinder in a vice, the rear part has the spring and seal in it and the front has the sleeve the brake pin goes into.

The problem is this... it seems there is some "shellaced" brake fluid around th eoutside of the sleeve and it won't slide out easily. There is nothing to grab onto to pull it out and it seems any way I coudl try, will damage the inside of the sleeve.

Any suggestions on pulling the sleeve? Do I even need to?

thxs,
    Dan

I'm not up on 1940 stuff but it would seem that no OEM Master cylinder had a sleeve. If it's like any other MC, then remove the snap ring and the internal spring should push the piston out. If it doesn't, then try air pressure at the outlet port. If it won't budge, check for a stop screw around the diameter somewhere. If you see some coating that may be interfering with the movement, dissolve it with lacquer thinner or acetone.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Excellent!
      I will be checking for th estop screw today after work. There is some fluid that has "shellaced" out, so that might be it too. I removed the snap ring and washer/cover and the spring did not push out the piston.

thxs

Comment

Working...
      X